Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Randolph Jay

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA
Crater Bailly
      #6036074 - 08/20/13 09:32 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

The skies were clear the seeing was good so I thought I would try a sketch of Bailly. I'd never sketched any features in this area and once again had to do battle with trees to the south. This was done this morning 12:30 - 1:00 am EDT. Black sketch paper and black and white Conte crayons and pencils. Celestron 120 Omni Refractor and a magnification of 200x.
Randolph

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: Crater Bailly new [Re: Randolph Jay]
      #6036334 - 08/20/13 11:59 AM

Beautiful, Randolph!!! The ravines to the South seem really deep on tour drawing. Another fine example of how well you master 3D rendering. Well done!

Peter

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Crater Bailly new [Re: PeterDob]
      #6036402 - 08/20/13 12:29 PM

Another impressive sketch! Is the blue and red in your sketch the result of scanning?

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #6036812 - 08/20/13 03:56 PM

Randolph,

Very good sketch of Crater Bailly .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Randolph Jay

Re: Crater Bailly new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #6036830 - 08/20/13 04:03 PM

Thank you Jef and Peter.
In answer to your question Jef concerning the slight blue and red color...The original is sketch was done on black Artagain sketch paper with black and white conte crayons and pencils. It has no color other than the black, white and gray tones. But when I observe the moon, I really do see slight but definite colors. I know the different lavas of the surface are truly distinct ( and even named )and some of them I see as blue, some reddish and even hints of green. As an optometrist, I've needed to test patients for color perception and I've "trained" myself to be aware of even slight color differences. I am aware of what is chromatic aberation through the Celestron refractor ( it's an achromatic, not an apochromatic scope ) and what I think is real color. So I played with the final image in Picasa until it showed this little bit of color. I don't know how to sketch exactly the colors I see on the moon. I've thought of trying some colored pastels on the black sketch paper but haven't done so yet. Do you think I should leave out this effect of a suggestion of color and just do a grey scale? I would love to hear what you think! I so appreciate the work I've seen here. Not many of my fellow amateur astronomy enthusiasts ( those I know in person ) are interested in sketching!
Thanks,
Randolph

Randolph Jay

#6036834 - 08/20/13 04:05 PM

And thank you Tom!
Randolph

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #6036918 - 08/20/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

Do you think I should leave out this effect of a suggestion of color and just do a grey scale?

No, not at all! It gives your sketches a personal touch. I never paid attention to color on the Moon. I'll give it a try next time.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Crater Bailly new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #6037606 - 08/21/13 01:43 AM

Randolph,

A beautiful capture of crater Bailly. The floor details, ramparts, rims and even the colors you see add much to the composition. The Moon is not just black and white and grey, as you say - color is visible. We all have different perceptions of color on the Moon. I tend not to pick it up so well with direct vision. Nevertheless, the colors are there and you see them so they should be included.

Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 215

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics