Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
Re: PDF of my town's ordinances of lighting. May Help? new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6036758 - 08/20/13 03:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I’am not going to "legally" pursue this anymore. It seems futile.

One day you ask the town check for code violation and the next day you give up?

Follow up, buy the planning staff coffee, invite them over to see light and use your scope. Make friends!

In my town, we've been fighting the big dog, a college for over two years on light and noise issues. We have two "wins" so far. A limit on the hours for a very badly designed lighted sports field and for a large new project, a commitment to use IDA approved lights. The college tried to end run the IDA lights, but I called and emailed the town staff and the college said in effect "oops.” They are correcting the “error”.

No one really seems to care about astronomy and the common sense understanding of security lighting is difficult to change, but you have a common law right (the castle doctrine) to the peaceful and enjoyable use of your property. If the town refuses to enforce their rules, or issues your neighbor a variance, consider small claims court. No lawyers involved.

Good luck, no matter what course you follow.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: PDF of my town's ordinances of lighting. May Help? [Re: csa/montana]
      #6036848 - 08/20/13 04:12 PM

nice links!!

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6037388 - 08/20/13 10:22 PM

Quote:

Thank you. Iam not going to "legally" pursue this anymore. It seems futile.

Yes a light blocking panel will be my next endeavor. Iam thinking about a more permanent high solid fence sort of thing. Perhaps painted hot pink on the side facing him. lol

Just paint the words "the fence comes down when the light goes off" in hot pink lettering. He will get the hint.

obin

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: PDF of my town's ordinances of lighting. May Help? new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6038711 - 08/21/13 04:39 PM

barbarosa ,
YES I suppose the least I could do is call back and ask what the outcome of the supposed inspection was. Iam not sure if they would tell me. I do know its been about two weeks since I called and nothing has changed in my backyard.

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
      #6039053 - 08/21/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

barbarosa ,
YES I suppose the least I could do is call back and ask what the outcome of the supposed inspection was. Iam not sure if they would tell me. I do know its been about two weeks since I called and nothing has changed in my backyard.

I know it can seem uphill, but one or two more calls might do the job. Your call might have gone into the fruitcake file but it also could be that they have inspections scheduled 4 weeks out.

I will not guess at how much they will tell you, but reasonably, you made a request and entitled to know the result. Heck, your state might even have a good freedom of information statute or public records access law.

Count yourself lucky to have an ordinance that might be enforceable and continue politely to pursue enforcement. If not for you alone, then for the benefit of all, think of it is a 1960’s exercise in consciousness-raising.

My sense is that you will not take the suggestions to erect an unsightly or “spite” fence. Fence law varies from area to area, but in many places, that is the path to hiring lawyers, surveyors, and mediators. One of my neighbors had to spend several thousand to defend an absurd civil suit about a fence that was in full compliance with our fence regulations. The five attorneys, two surveyors and the mediator were the only winners. The fence stands.

Again, good luck in whatever you do.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1722

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics