Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
WO BV in 10" Dob? new
      #6031056 - 08/17/13 02:10 PM

Well I tried out my WO BV with my new A10" Dob last night on the Moon and as I expected I could not get it to focus even with the 1.6x nose-piece that came with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: REC]
      #6031113 - 08/17/13 02:36 PM

If you were not able to rack in far enough, the only place where you can get a bit closer could be to ensure that the collimation screws on your mirror cell are near the top end of their travel, pushing the primary as close as possible.

this will likely only buy you a few millimeters, but every millimeter helps.

Otherwise, you will need to Barlow up.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6031243 - 08/17/13 03:42 PM

Ok, will try a 2x shorty Barlow I have, I don't want to mess with the mirror, thanks!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6031533 - 08/17/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

don't want to mess with the mirror,

y

you probably should update to beefier springs anyway.

a shorty shouldn't be a problem. looking at the moon will never be the same...

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6032412 - 08/18/13 08:41 AM

I did get the "Tweakers Dream Package" and they added the beefier springs and replaced the front screws of the secondary with knobs that makes alighnment much easier. Also the other good thing in this package is they flocked the tube.

I will try the barlow, but I dis see Orion just brought out a new low profile focuser that looks like have the size of the original and maybe that will allow enough back focus for the BV to work.....but it is expensive, $250!

Yes, the only way to view the Moon!

REC
Post Laureate

#6035955 - 08/20/13 07:55 AM

Ed, tried the 2x barlow way in the WO and sill not focus!

Next I tried the Denks with either arm inserted and that would not come to focus.

Now what do you suggest?

Bob

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6035962 - 08/20/13 08:01 AM

How did you try the 2" Barlow?

Did you use a 2"/1.25" reducer to hold the Binoviewer?

If so, were you using a 2" barlow?

If you are using a 1.25" barlow and a 1.25" nose on the binoviewer, try unscrewing the barlow lens alement and screwing it directly into the nose of the binoviewer.

If you were using a 2" / 1.25" adapter and a 2" barlow and your adapter is threaded, again, try unscrewing the barlow element and screwing it directly to the front of the reducer.

REC
Post Laureate

#6036013 - 08/20/13 08:52 AM

Yes, I had the included 2"/1.24" reducer to hold the WO and was using a Meade 126 2x Barlow. I tried to unscrew the element and it does not fit the nose piece..too wide.

The 1.6 barlow that screws into the nose it 1" long. My shorty barlow ads another 1.5" to the nose.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6036549 - 08/20/13 01:41 PM

Well, it can be very hit or miss when you are trying to get the focus right on a Dob I think. They generally don't have the same focuser travel as refractors do.

Your result might be because you are using a short barlow, but at this point I can't tell you what will work or what won't work. It is often just trial and error. I was lucky that the 2" AT barlow lens worked. Just one of those things.

REC
Post Laureate

#6036572 - 08/20/13 01:54 PM

Ed, thanks for your reply. Well next I will try my 2.5x Powermate and see how that works. BUT, it has a very long length on it and will be sticking out pretty far and somewhat heavy. I thought I would get more feedback from other CN members who are actually using the WO with their Dobs?

As for getting my Denk to work in it, I guess I'll just have to call Russ and get the adapter for it.

Bob

TomCorbett
sage

Reged: 07/08/13

#6036892 - 08/20/13 04:40 PM

REC...

I am sorry, but I have no suggestions for you--however, I am very interested in your results.

Please hang in there and find a configuration that works.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? [Re: TomCorbett]
      #6036923 - 08/20/13 04:58 PM

Tom, ok I will keep you posted. I'm going to send an email to WO and see what they say....stay tuned.

Bob

pftarch
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/21/07

#6037373 - 08/20/13 10:05 PM

Have you tried the filter body extension technique? With my Z10 my best results came from stacking three 1 1/4" filter bodies together (with the actual colored glass removed) and screwing that between the supplied 1.6 corrector and my WO bino's. I believe it resulted in about a 2.1 x Barlow effect and allowed me to reach focus. You may just want to stack three filters together before you take the glass out and see if you can focus on the bright moon.

Peter T

Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: pftarch]
      #6037710 - 08/21/13 04:37 AM

I binoed on a Skywatcher 8" f5 with the standard I.e. not low profile focuser with the 1.6 OCA and WO binos without problem so I'm having trouble understanding what your doing...can you post a photo of the set up? Skywatcher have an awful 2-1.25" adaptor, hi hat style that did a good job of mucking up focusing with a number of eyepieces. A picture would help.
Matt

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: Messyone]
      #6037867 - 08/21/13 08:23 AM

Thanks for these two ideas, will try the filter trick and also my 2.5X Powermate.

I tried a 35mm extension tube, but guess it was too long? I spoke to OPT last night and they have a 25mm tube extension that he thought would do the trick, so maybe try that? I'm going to try screwing in the 1.6x and then manually pull the BV out of the focuser to see if there is a just right distance and mark it. Then I will have a better idea how much of an extension I need.

I want to get this fixed by Saturday as we will have a few clear nights for the first time in months and the Moon won't be out, so looking for some of the brighter globs to view in the BV. Anyone have good luck on DSO's with BV?

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Bob

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
      #6038282 - 08/21/13 12:32 PM

Quote:

I tried a 35mm extension tube, but guess it was too long? I spoke to OPT last night and they have a 25mm tube extension that he thought would do the trick, so maybe try that? I'm going to try screwing in the 1.6x and then manually pull the BV out of the focuser to see if there is a just right distance and mark it. Then I will have a better idea how much of an extension I need.

Have you tried using the nosepiece and NO extension tubes? Assuming you are talking about focuser extension tubes, I don't think you should be using any extension tubes at all.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: Hothersale]
      #6038315 - 08/21/13 01:00 PM

Well yeah, that was my first move, just insert them into the focus and it would not focus. I have sent an email to WO asking them for advise.

Thanks,

Bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6038451 - 08/21/13 02:27 PM

I don't know if you are doing this Bob, but the typical "newt mode" for a binoviewer involves an extra long nosepiece with a barlow element attached to the end. The extra long nosepiece mimics the extra long light path of a diagonal. Check the Denkmeier manual to get an idea.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: WO BV in 10" Dob? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6038473 - 08/21/13 02:39 PM

Thanks Johnny, wow that is a huge set of tubes sticking out of the BV! Hoped I didn't have to go that long and I see you must use a OCS with all of them.

Seems BV with a SCT is much easier!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6038495 - 08/21/13 02:50 PM

They look longer because it's 1.25". Its possible to achieve focus with a slightly shorter tube, it all depends on your setup. Generally speaking though the nosepiece needs to be as long as the binoviewer and with a barlow on front to create "negative lightpath".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1161

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics