Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Susan H

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Texas
Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new
      #6036764 - 08/20/13 03:35 PM

The Edge HD will come with a 40 mm EP, and I have a Nagler 7mm Nagler. Plus I do have a 2x Barlow as well. I'd like to have one more EP for now. I would like good eye relief too. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JustaBoy
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: Susan H]
      #6036789 - 08/20/13 03:48 PM

Hi Susan,

I'd get something 'around' 20mm with 20mm eye relief. It all depends on what you have to spend. Maybe a 22mm Vixen LVW?
-Chuck

loudupe

Reged: 06/24/13

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6036933 - 08/20/13 05:08 PM

Hi Susan,

I was getting ready to ask this very same question so I hope you don't mind if I jump into this thread alongside you. I also have an 8" EdgeHD and it seems to me that most EP questions are tendered with Dob's or refractor's in mind so I was glad to see your post.

It was recently recommended to me that for DSO's (nebulae in particular), I should be using something along the line of a 55mm TV Plossl. But it's interesting to note that I've seen no other mention of the TV 55 Plossl for DSO viewing in this forum.

Anyone?

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations [Re: loudupe]
      #6036944 - 08/20/13 05:18 PM

you will not use the 7t6 that often, depending on your seeing conditions.

with my c8, i lke to use 24mm, 20mm, 12-14mm and 10mm EPs.

to answer your question we need to know your budget

Susan H

Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: coutleef]
      #6036991 - 08/20/13 05:44 PM

Loudupe please tag along. My budget is around $200.

loudupe

#6037038 - 08/20/13 06:06 PM

Thank you, Susan!

Since I am a newbie to all of this, shortly after I got my scope, I picked up a few Celestron X-Cell LX EP's to play around with. I just wanted to see the differences in magnification so I bought a 9mm, 18mm (because I have no Barlow), and 25mm. All three for $190 from B&H Photo.

They seem to work ok for me from my red/orange zone backyard. But what do I know!?

Lou

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: loudupe]
      #6037094 - 08/20/13 06:37 PM

I sold my 6mm Radian when I got my Edge 11. At 466x there was no way I was going to be able to use it any more. I now have an 11mm Nagler now that's around 250x and its plenty. I also have a 20mm ES100 which I really love.

As far as a good, all around, EP... take a look at the 14mm ES100. Its a great EP and not very expensive, about $300. It'll give you 140x and 0.69-degrees. About what my 20mm gives me.

Your 7mm Nagler will be 290x and 0.28-degrees. Not unreasonable, but you won't be using it often. You could sell it and pick up the 14mm ES100. You will need a 2" diagonal to use it though. I don't think the Edge 8 comes with one.

Alternatively you could sell the 7mm and get a 13mm or 16mm Nagler which are also 1 1/4" EPs and would still be more useful than the 7mm.

Susan H

Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: WesC]
      #6037225 - 08/20/13 07:53 PM

Since I'm still a relative newbie at this please answer a question. Why is the 7mm Nagler not so good with the new scope I'm getting? Will it make the objects I seek fuzzy, distorted, out of focus? I realize humidity, wind, light pollution all play a role in this selection, I just don't understand how. I appreciate y'all's help. I think I'd like to keep it because we plan on going to some dark skies for some serious observing in the spring.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
      #6037255 - 08/20/13 08:20 PM

At the power you will be reachinf with a 7mm you will need good seing conditions which may be rare or else the image will not be sharp.

I use the 7 on the moon mainly or planets.

I would rather have a 13 or 14 mm Ep, more versatile.

At these prices look for ES eps

troutinco

Reged: 06/11/12

Loc: Littleton, CO
      #6037265 - 08/20/13 08:29 PM

Ultimately it comes down to your "seeing" conditions, ie how steady your air is. On planets with my CPC800 I rarely get to go over 160x unless the air is very steady then I can use my 11mm. My 8.8mm holds a place for things like alignment and a few other things or the rare air.
In my 8" I use my 34mm 68*, 24mm 82*, 14mm 82* most it seems.

Edited by troutinco (08/20/13 08:30 PM)

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: troutinco]
      #6037461 - 08/20/13 11:03 PM

I'm going to jump into this forum also because I just had the folks over at Cats & Casses ratify my choice of an 8" EdgeHD to be purchased around Tax Time next year. My current scope is a 40-year-old Criterion RV6 6" f/8 Newtonian (1200mm FL).

I hung out on the Eyepieces forums for awhile a few months ago when I was debating catadioptric vs. bigger, shorter-focus Dob. The good news I heard then is that the f/10 optical train of an SCT or Edge scope is more forgiving than most when it comes to eyepieces. I also came to the tentative conclusion that the Explore Scientific eyepieces represent generally good value for money and are a step up from the Celestron plossls I am using with my RV6. I picked 4 ES eyepieces to trick out my 8" Edge:

1. 6.7mm 82-degree gives about 300x for those rare really clear nights when you can crank up the power on the planets. Eye relief 14mm; True FOV 0.26 degrees; cost new $100

2. 11mm 82d-degree gives 185x to serve as a "high power eyepiece" in more typical rural Massachusetts seeing conditions. Eye relief 15.6mm; True FOV 0.44 degrees; cost new $150

3. 16mm 68-degree gives 127x to serve as a "medium power eyepiece". Eye relief 11.9mm; True FOV 0.54 degrees; cost new $120

4. 24mm 68-degree gives 85x to serve as a low power eyepiece. Eye relief 18.4mm; True FOV 0.80 degrees; cost $160

Total Eyepiece budget new: $530 plus tax & shipping

This line-up does not have a "really" low-power eyepiece (I use a 32mm Plossl with my RV6, which gives 37.5x). But the main reason I use such low powers with the RV6 is that it's a non-go-to, no-slow-motion-controls German equatorial mount, and I have to steer it by grabbing the end of the tube. I need the really low power (with the modest AFOV of a Plossl) to get a wide enough true field of view to find targets. I see that as less important with a go-to scope like the 8" Edge, where I would rather have higher power with a wider apparent field of view.

And of course the scope comes with a 40mm Plossl which gives 51x.

I'm open to anyone's suggestions on how to improve this line-up without spending gobs more money.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #6037542 - 08/21/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

I would like good eye relief too.

Having mentioned good ER as a requirement, the ES eyepieces will have to take a back seat, although they are very good value EP's. And with a budget cap of $200, that rules out the Delos ($310 on sale) or Vixen LVW ($269) which both have good ER's. One of the more popular choices for the C8 (I have this scope too) which is on the budget with good ER (20mm) would be the Baader Hyperions ($139); they have a relatively wide field too of 68-deg. I have the 21mm and it works very well with my C8. But there's more, the Hyperions are "modular" i.e., one can purchase fine tuning rings (14mm & 28mm) that allow them to be converted into shorter focal length EP's for higher magnification without buying a new EP. In the case of the Hyperion 21mm, these rings convert the 21mm into 17.6mm, 15.4mm, and 14mm additional focal lengths. (Did a blog post about the tuning rings, click here) The same can be done with the Hyperion 17mm and 13mm which would be good choices for the C8 too.

Hyperion 21mm & Delos 6mm

Best,

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: ibase]
      #6037744 - 08/21/13 05:56 AM

I have an Edge 8" with a AVX mount, got it this June. But before it arrived, I was already shopping for EP's. Live and learn I guess.

But besides the 40mm Plossel that comes with the Edge 8", I went ahead and got me a WO binoviewer set with twin 20mm EP's. I also got from Orion, a set of Flat Edge Planetary EP's in the 3mm, 6mm and 12.6mm. I've since found that the 3mm doesn't work so well, but it may just be my red/orange zone that keeps me from getting a good focus.

I also got a Celestron 2 inch XLT diagonal which I use instead of the 1.25 diagonal. Then I can use my 2 inch EP's and my 2 inch 2X barlow.

My 2 inch EP's are the Orion Q70 set and I really like these.

One more addition to the EP collection was my 1.25 lighted reticle which helps me immensely with my alignment.

Lastly, to store all of this glass treasure, I got the large Orion pluck foam case. It holds everything mentioned here and a few more things as well...like my maps, planesphere, and laser pointer.

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6037757 - 08/21/13 06:17 AM

With your budget and setup, I would look for a good used Baader Hyperion Mark III zoom. Unfortunately, I just sold mine not too long ago, but this ep will get you all the focal lengths between 8 - 24mm. Second choice would definitely be the 13mm Baader hyperion (good for planets, although the 10mm should be good in Texas seeing), and third, a 17mm Baader hyperion (this will nicely frame the entire moon and some open clusters).
Happy hunting.

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: ibase]
      #6037771 - 08/21/13 06:40 AM

I have the 8" EdgeHD. I started out with the 10 and 13mm Hyperions and a 19mm Panoptic. I was very happy with the choice, although doing it again I would have opted for a 24mm Panoptic instead.

It may be possible for you to find a 24mm pan in the $200 range second hand, and if you do, together with your barlow, you would cover the (to me anyway) most important focal lengths (12-14mm and 20-25mm) with this one, very good, eyepiece. This would be my main recommendation.

I have had the scope for two years now, and have moved on from the Hyperions. My most used eyepiece now is the 13mm Ethos, which is fantastic in this scope. It is also extremely comfortable to use, despite its only 15mm rated eye relief, it feels just as easy as my Delos 10mm with 20mm rated eye relief.

My second most used fl eyepiece is one of my several eyepieces in the 20-25mm range, usually a 21mm Ethos, 24mm pan or a Zeiss 25mm ortho type eyepiece I like.

For planetary I use either orthos in the 8-18mm range, a binoviewer or occasionally the 10mm Delos or 8mm LVW. These two are also very good with globular clusters. I have never had a seeing situation where I have found higher magnifications than what I get with an 8mm eyepiece to provide for a better, sharper or more contrasty image. So 8mm (around 260x) is pretty much the most magnification I ever use.

I have a 35mm Panoptic I use for low magnifications, and sometimes a 48mm Brandon. The included 40mm however I never use, I find the comfort, presentation and image to less than mediocre, and have literally only used it twice, despite it being my only low mag eye piece the first 6 months I had the scope. It just wasn't worth it. The 24mm pan would provide the same field of view, at higher magnification with much sharper and nicer image, and blacker sky background as well (this is especially nice if you have light pollution where you generally observe).

The 24mm explore scientific 68 degree comes well recommended by many here on cloudy nights as a good alternative to the 24mm Panoptic. I have however heard that the waiting time may be very long for this eyepiece, as I believe it is currently out of stock everywhere, and there are many threads here about long waiting times for ES eyepieces.

Sorry for the long ramble, in conclusion, I recommend a second hand 24mm Panoptic!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6038016 - 08/21/13 10:16 AM

I have 3 eyepeices that I use 95% of the time with the Edge HD 8" (when I monoview, but these days I do almost all binoviewing).

The 31mm Nagler. Magnificent in the EdgeHD 8". The view is as sharp to the edge as in my 6" APO and brighter to boot.

20mm T5 Nagler. Again, views equal to my 6" APO right tot he field stop. Again, a view that I enjoy more than my 6" APO used with the same size true field.

In fact, the 20mm T5 is was my most used eyepiece in the EdgeHD 8" before I went to binoviewing.

It is important to remember that the EdgeHD has a longer focal lenght than the standard C8, and when used with a 2" diagonal, the actual focal lenght is more like 2300mm, so the magnificaiton of the 20mm Nagler is more like 115x.

This is a great DSO exit pupil and is useful for all kinds of medium and small clusters.

The last eyepeice I use is the 12mm T4 Nagler. This is one of the most immersive eyepieces I have ever used. The eye relief and placement make it comfortable and the field is very expansive.

Again, I don't monoview much anymore, but I used these three eyepeices almost exclusivelly in the EdgeHD 8 and still have them.

My advice. Don't be to granular with your magnifications.

I see this as a common "Mistake." People tend to get too many small steps and sometimes duplicate true field sizes.

I advise that you buy far fewer but excellent quality eyepeices than waste a lot of money on more eyepieces that you won't use (or will wind up swapping a lot).

The ES 82mm eyepieces are reported to be excellent as well (I own several 68 degree versions, and I find them to be excellent) so this is a great alternative.

The EdgeHD 8" is one of those scopes that rewards your investment. With many reflectors, you can spend as much as you have on eyepeices and not get a sharp view across the field. With the EdgeHD 8" though, your investment is rewarded with APO quality field sharpness right to the field stop of excellent quality eyepeices.

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6038447 - 08/21/13 02:24 PM

I think a lot of people wind up having a lot of eyepieces because they have to figure out what's best for their scope, eyes, etc. by trial and error. Then there are folks with multiple scopes, often of different kinds and calling for different eyewear.

I'm going to fiddle around with my eyepiece lineup (I have months in any case), and see what a smaller-number-higher-quality lineup might look like. I also neglected to consider barlow lenses as a way to add magnification options, probably because in my early experience, barlows were optical junk that reduced the quality of the view. Maybe I could do with two carefully chosen TeleVue or Pentax eyepieces and a good barlow to fill out the options.

loudupe

Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6039008 - 08/21/13 07:24 PM

All,

Thank you very much for the input. This is exactly what I had been missing; scope-specific EP information. Ha! I'm eating this up! I had no idea a 2" Diag would increase my scope's fL!

Lou

Susan H

Re: Edge HD 8" EP recommendations new [Re: loudupe]
      #6039019 - 08/21/13 07:30 PM

I ended up with a Celestron X-Cel 12 mm...for now to go with my new scope. I'm sure there will be more...many more.

loudupe

#6039055 - 08/21/13 07:56 PM

Susan,

From one newbie to another, I think that was a good choice. The LX's are cheap enough to play around/experiment/learn with. As our experience grows, so too can the cost of our EP's.

Also, as one other has previously mentioned, I found an illuminated reticle EP helps me with my star alignment. That, and a polar finder scope has really enabled me to get GoTo and tracking down to pretty darn good accuracy. Maybe I'll now take up astrophotography!

Lou

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
31 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 997

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics