Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
mjw

Reged: 10/17/12

Loc: Moscow, PA
Anyone familiar with this EQ Dob platform?
      #6037002 - 08/20/13 05:53 PM

I'm looking for a lower cost EQ platform for my 14" dob. The ones from equatorialplatforms.com at $1175 are out of my budget.

Is anyone familiar with this one from NorthStar Systems for $365(including shipping)? http://supernorthstars.tripod.com/

I know there are some kits out there, but I'm not the best "builder". I'd prefer a completed unit.

I saw another from OpticalEds for $450, but then shipping adds another $160.

If you know of others, please let me know.
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Anyone familiar with this EQ Dob platform? new [Re: mjw]
      #6037123 - 08/20/13 06:53 PM

You never know...but the website and pictures don't inspire confidence given you have a fairly sizeable scope. This may be the kitty's meow, but one thing I've learned over the years is that when it comes to dob platforms you really, really get what you pay for.

If a goodun is out of your budget right now, my advice is "wait" or consider why you'd want one anyway. One isn't that effective for imaging, though you can do good video with one. Visually? I don't think one adds much to a well-designed Dobbie.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Anyone familiar with this EQ Dob platform? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6037245 - 08/20/13 08:13 PM

Quote:

You never know...but the website and pictures don't inspire confidence given you have a fairly sizeable scope.

It does look pretty basic. The drive is just a variable speed Astroview/CG-2 drive, the front bearing looks like it came from an inexpensive piece of furniture. I wouldn't be spending $400 on it.

Jon

astrophile
sage

Reged: 06/30/13

Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand
Re: Anyone familiar with this EQ Dob platform? new [Re: mjw]
      #6040974 - 08/22/13 11:12 PM

If you have the luxury to be patient, wait for a used one of right size & latitude range to come up on Astromart (or put out a Wanted ad). Used platforms--even top-quality ones in excellent condition--seem to sell for a much greater discount from new than most other astro gear. But you may have to wait a while for the right one to come along.

I actually find a platform very desirable for visual dob observing, enough that I removed the ground board from my 10" truss to use it exclusively with the platform. Particularly nice for planetary work, and public outreach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 174

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics