Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1
ZielkeNightsky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
Egyptian iron bead & meteorite iron -video lecture new
      #5998863 - 07/30/13 05:55 PM

This spring it was announced that tube-shaped beads excavated from grave pits at the prehistoric Egyptian Gerzeh cemetery, approximately 3300 BCE, is consistent with a cold-worked iron meteorite.

Yet another fantastic angle on meteorites, which involves the ancient Egyptian culture. Immediately the Gebel Kamil meteorite comes to mind.

Public history of science lecture by Dr Diane Johnson video:
Iron from the sky: the potential influence of meteorites on ancient Egyptian ...

Paper in Meteoritics & Planetary Science may 2013

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Egyptian iron bead & meteorite iron -video lecture [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #6037170 - 08/20/13 07:14 PM

Article here: http://scitechdaily.com/earliest-known-iron-artifacts-were-made-from-meteorit...

Reminds me of the fact that when the Campo del Cielo meteorite was "discovered" by the Spanish conquistadors in 1572 it was already being used by the natives in making knives, arrow points and spear heads. I believe there are also cases of larges iron meteorites being used by village blacksmiths in Africa as anvils.

This means that iron from meteorites was being used 2000 years before the smelting of the ore was discovered.

/Ira

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 868

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics