Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
ion
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Bortle Scale 2
Lights go out in Somerset
      #6037687 - 08/21/13 03:21 AM

August 16, 2013: "Street lamps in some areas of Somerset are to be turned off and dimmed to cut light pollution and save money. Supporters say it will reduce energy consumption while revealing the hidden beauty of the night's sky...As Exmoor National Park is already classed as 'Dark Sky Reserve', Somerset could become a magnet for stargazers from across the UK."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XMTBNhuY5w4J:http://www...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: ion]
      #6049698 - 08/27/13 09:22 PM

Fantastic news!

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: GeneT]
      #6059485 - 09/02/13 03:17 PM

Just had a look and Somerset is wayyyyy better than here in Merseyside (I am in St.Helens). Merseyside (the area around Liverpool) and Greater Manchester and the areas inbetween are a sea of really nasty bad light pollution, it's a continuum of white on Google Earth / Galleries / Nasa / Earth City Lights and the Europe-fclpm overlay for Google Earth (mostly pink / grey), whereas Somerset is mostly dark grey on the former and light blue on the latter, very low light pollution, apart from the hot spots of the towns and villages... where most people actually live, unforunately for them.

What gets me is that even here, my friend Jon's house in Newton Road, Billinge, has a very noticeably darker southern sky than where I am in Hillbrae Avenue, Moss Bank, where I see only a bright sky to the south full of accursed lights (of the type that spill huge amounts of light into the sky) from St.Helens town centre. So I mostly end up going to his house and using his LX90. But he is selling his house and moving away soon, that will end my fun.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad (09/03/13 02:21 PM)

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: Live_Steam_Mad]
      #6059744 - 09/02/13 05:49 PM

Good news ION. It sounds like someone over there has their head on right.

ion
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Bortle Scale 2
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: richard7]
      #6061385 - 09/03/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

It sounds like someone over there has their head on right.

Sounds like everyone except this guy:

"BRAINTREE MP Brooks Newmark has slammed Essex
County Council's proposals to switch off selected
street lights after midnight as "disastrous"."

"Mr Newmark said: "I'm completely opposed this – it's
an absolutely disastrous idea – mainly for security reasons."

"But Graham Butland, leader of Braintree District
Council, said: "I fully support the scheme. There
were few objections during the 12-month consultation."

"The scheme was initially trialled in Maldon and
Uttlesford from 2007, and saw a 14 and 12.6 per
cent drop in crime respectively during that period."

MP hits out over 'disastrous' street lights switch-off

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: ion]
      #6063164 - 09/04/13 06:08 PM

Quote:

These are perhaps my most favorite words words to read - that less light REDUCED crime. I will include this in an upcoming "Dark Sky Fact" for my weekly astronomy videos. This kind of stuff needs to be heard as often and as much as possible.

Thanks for sharing this.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: magic612]
      #6063785 - 09/05/13 04:39 AM

Essex must be full of insomniacs if they are really concerned about "gloomy" streets from 00:00 to 05:00 when the lighst are off. Most will be tucked up in zzzzzzz land and paying smaller council bills as money is no longer wasted lighting the street for virtaully nobody's benefit (for one - have you noticed that cars carry own lights which have to be on at night by law - humm)

I live in a street-lightless village just north of Leeds. Night time dog walkers around here just use head torches (flashlights), they don't ask the council for street lights and the increased coucil tax bill that would comes with that request!

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: Tonk]
      #6063848 - 09/05/13 06:48 AM

Quote:

Essex must be full of insomniacs if they are really concerned about "gloomy" streets from 00:00 to 05:00 when the lighst are off. Most will be tucked up in zzzzzzz land and paying smaller council bills as money is no longer wasted lighting the street for virtaully nobody's benefit (for one - have you noticed that cars carry own lights which have to be on at night by law - humm)

I live in a street-lightless village just north of Leeds. Night time dog walkers around here just use head torches (flashlights), they don't ask the council for street lights and the increased coucil tax bill that would comes with that request!

This is a very important factor that so many people totally ignore. Those lights on all night long are NOT free. The public pays for those lights to be on through taxes. The people who make the lights OF COURSE lobby the towns to install hundreds of them. It keeps their pockets fat. People constantly complain about taxes but ignore the massive amount of waste which comes along with these lights being left on for nobody's benefit.

obin

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: magic612]
      #6082808 - 09/15/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These are perhaps my most favorite words words to read - that less light REDUCED crime. I will include this in an upcoming "Dark Sky Fact" for my weekly astronomy videos. This kind of stuff needs to be heard as often and as much as possible.

Thanks for sharing this.

Two or three years ago when there was a battle in State College PA over removing the increased street lighting that had been installed around the Penn State campus (installed after several rapes of students walking back from local watering holes), the city government agreed that "the lighting probably does not deter crime, but it makes the students feel better, so we need to keep the lights." We've also had a campus police officer post right in this forum that "I don't care what the statistics say, lighting reduces campus crime".

Claiming that reducing lighting reduces crime will be a tough sell because people are just afraid of the dark.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: George N]
      #6082993 - 09/15/13 11:04 PM

People are afraid of everything these days. ignorance breeds fear, I guess.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Lights go out in Somerset new [Re: George N]
      #6083024 - 09/15/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

Claiming that reducing lighting reduces crime will be a tough sell because people are just afraid of the dark.

Indeed, it is, but as a salesman, I'm determined to sell a lot of people on the idea. The more people hear it, the more will believe it - and there's not just safety involved, but health as well.

We've allowed the lighting folks to overrun us for a long time. It's our turn to start fighting back with facts - not emotional appeals to fear. Yes, that's the strongest emotion to overcome, but we can do it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, nitegeezer, PatHolland 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics