Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
cosurgi

Reged: 09/25/09

Loc: Gdańsk, Poland, EU
Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5406030 - 09/06/12 04:54 AM

yes, definitely I will make some lanyard attachment

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: DRodrigues]
      #5406074 - 09/06/12 06:44 AM

Quote:

denis0007dl,
How did you or where that was done. Besides also already dropped mine twice (only once due to the quick release system... At that time nothing happened and but after the second fall I had to use glue tape to hold my inter pupil distance - still is collimated... :-) ), I would prefer a simple T female on the binoviewer since would save 1 cm of focal length. I contacted Baader to ask if it was possible to remove the system and make a T tread female but they told it would be too expensive since had to produce new tools to collimate the binoviewer...

Everything was done by turner expert, there atr many parts changed, and now bino is SUPERB!

WORTH IT!!!!

Pingster

Reged: 06/27/11

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5450122 - 10/01/12 01:10 PM

Only two nights ago i was covering my dob with a plastic bag when i heard a solid horrific thud. Somehow my Mrk 5 came off its quick release adaptor and smashed 5 feet onto solid concret! My brother had called me in to play MW2. I spent 2 hrs trying to play, but could not focus because i kept on thinking, "Damn! How did that happen, i am sure the quick release screw was fully tightened.... The bino must be wreaked!".

Afterwards i checled it ober in the light. Lucky for me i only had tiny 11mm TV plossls loaded and not my usual 24mm Panotics. Both eyepieces had badly scruffed eye guards. Both Mrk 5 eyepieces sholders where dented, one side dented on both sides. The body was also dented and scruffed. Surely they are ruined! The crash sound was horrid and i can still hear it now.

Loaded a 17mm ethos and monoviwed vega and double double. Beautiful. Split double double by fine hairline. Load up Mrk 5 with simular mag. Beautiful. View 95% as clear as monoview. Double double split by hairline. Set to x340 mag and point to jupitor, moons nice round spheres, hardly any CA or flaring on them. Jupitor detail as fine as the first day i got them. I can not believe i got away with no damage.

But as otherd have said.... In the bak of my mind i keep thinking "Somthig must be wrong". The Mrk 5 are near perfection, a big knocknlike that surely must effect it in some way.... I cant help think i should by another just to rest my mind. They are that wonderful.

But as others have said... Baader need to provide an alternative to the quick release. Its ridiculous. Why would anyone want a system with suck a high risk rate? I deffo dont. Ill rather have the usual 2in tube that eyepieces come with.

I now attach a safety bungie cord to them. Makes ne so much more at ease.

Glad im not the only one this happened to. The most aweful feeling. Wish i could turn bak time.

Edited by Pingster (10/01/12 01:13 PM)

Pingster

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: Pingster]
      #5450146 - 10/01/12 01:21 PM

denis0007dl, whats turner experts webpage? And what do we need to ask for? Do we need to open our bino to apply the mod or does it simply screw in the bottom? Thanks for the help.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5450180 - 10/01/12 01:46 PM

Oh no, not again... My stomach hurts. Another Baader Mark V crushing on concrete. Another victim of Baader's quick release system.

If I understand well your post, and as well the previous posts of other Baader Mark V owners, the T2i Quick Changer (Baader Part-No. 245 6313) failed repeatedly.

I recommend sending a copy of your report (or this thread link, accompanied by some polite notes) directly to Baader Planetarium, Germany, e-mail kontakt@baader-planetarium.de.
Apparently, the quick release system is a weak point in the entire bino set-up. In order to bring a more reliable connection solution for this heavy and expensive bino, Baader depends on our experiences.

I own the great Mark V too. The horrible dropping stories of some of you folks make me feel nervous now each time when I am looking at it... Not only double-checking, but triple-checking the quick release unit and its small screw has become common procedure...

To anyone who really hates the idea of seeing his beloved and expensive Mark V crushing on hard concrete, an attached safety lanyard gives some additional security.

Stephan

Pingster

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5450222 - 10/01/12 02:16 PM

You are right we should stand togeather and demand a free swap for a new unit. In its current form its actually a design fault and not fit for purpose. This many drops proves its not fit for purpose. As much as i love baader for this great piece of engineering, they are at fault and we should not have to live with the Endless feeling of doubt if our bino is really fuctioning as normal.

Ill do so and let you guys know how i get on. They owe ne a new shiney unit :P

TGModerator
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5450414 - 10/01/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

You are right we should stand togeather and demand a free swap for a new unit. In its current form its actually a design fault and not fit for purpose. This many drops proves its not fit for purpose. As much as i love baader for this great piece of engineering, they are at fault and we should not have to live with the Endless feeling of doubt if our bino is really fuctioning as normal.

Ill do so and let you guys know how i get on. They owe ne a new shiney unit :P

The least they can do is make available a longer thumbscrew for existing units. Most of it stays unreachable between the diagonal the and Mark V body. After hearing these horror stories, my MO is to visually inspect the BV after tightening the screw. But even with this I'm scared I'll slip up one day...

Pingster

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: TG]
      #5450689 - 10/01/12 07:27 PM

The problem with the quicl release system is that its only secured by one screw, which can work itself loose. But the main fault is that a small turn of that screw can allow the bino to simply "pop off suddenly. With no other astro gear/system i have owned does this happen.

Baader need to build in a secondry securing feature, one that acts as a fail safe yetstilling allowing to quick release to work. For example making the user unscrew the locking screw, then having to twist the bino to release.

Graaa its really annoying. Tonight i looked thru the bino and indeed the eye pieces arw out of collimation. Thru each barrel the view is slighly offset, no wonder first time i used it after dropping i felt my eyes had to "work a bit", normally its so natural. I thought i was just imagining it but today i confirmed it visually.

Pingster

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( [Re: Pingster]
      #6039792 - 08/22/13 09:41 AM

I sent my mark v to baader for recollomination they said they are on holiday and will start on it in september, I hope they can get it back to me for october. Fingers crossed, ill update to let everyone know how I get on

Pingster

#6052057 - 08/29/13 08:02 AM

After an initial period of frustration because I got no reply.from baader (they were on summer holiday). Once they were back I got confirmation of receipt of my bino and an estimated repair commence of start ofSeptember. Just received an email from baader confirming its fixed and will be posted by UPS. Amazing, fixed faster than I feared. Im over the moon as in my eyes the mrk 5 is pretty much optical perfection.

Pingster

#6062168 - 09/04/13 06:10 AM

*Update, i got my bino back. After getting back from their summer holiday, much to my surprise it took them 2 weeks to fix it and another 4 days shipped via UPS to me. They repaired it free & did not charge me for shipping. Im really surprise and of course very grateful. Collomination fixed.

Breaking all rules the weather was clear last night and WOW, the views are exactly like last summer when i first got it, beautiful. Stars at x80 mag in the 24mm pans beautiful and sharp, at x150 still very sharp. Double double such a clean split with black sky between, the faint surrounds stars perfect pin pricks and not smeared at all. Cant ait for the moon and Jupiter so i can push it over x300.

So far the collimation looks extremely good. Very happy with Baader customer service and customer care. Its good to know that buying a mrk5 really is a purchase for life. Fingers crossed.

TGModerator
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #6062469 - 09/04/13 11:03 AM

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#6062477 - 09/04/13 11:10 AM

I am glad you got it fixed!

It is time now for a lanyard, or a soft and thick cushioning pad below your Mark V.

Stephan

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #6062491 - 09/04/13 11:25 AM

Glad to see your Mark V's are as good as new, but did Baader say anything about addressing the problem of the quick release failing? did you discuss them making a threaded fitting for the Mark V's instead of the quick release?
Rex

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: tomcody]
      #6062499 - 09/04/13 11:30 AM

Quote:

Glad to see your Mark V's are as good as new, but did Baader say anything about addressing the problem of the quick release failing? did you discuss them making a threaded fitting for the Mark V's instead of the quick release?

I hope they don't! I really like the quick release on my Mark V.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6062676 - 09/04/13 01:16 PM

Quote:

I really like the quick release on my Mark V.

Yes, I too like the quick release feature of the Mark V. But I think Baader should slightly re-design the Quick Release Changer. With its tiny single set screw, it is the weakest point in the entire bino train, in particuar when using long and heavy 1 1/4" eyepieces as the TV Delos models or the Docter 12.5 UWA.

Stephan

JRiggs

Reged: 07/08/13

Loc: Western New York
Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #6062845 - 09/04/13 02:56 PM

I agree. This is a real design fault in what is otherwise an excellent piece of equipment.

Pingster

Re: dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :( new [Re: JRiggs]
      #6063108 - 09/04/13 05:45 PM

Thanks for the support guys. Since dropping I attach a cord around it and tie it to my scope. Lucky for my my dob has a cloth shroud, so if it should end up flying off again it will swing ::) into the shroud thus acting like a air bag.

And would you believe this, on my first night out with it I accidentally released the quick release thumb screw, as you all know we have many sets of thumb screws around the focuser. Luckily 1. I had not unscrewed it much... and 2 I had my safety cable.

I have sent baader this thread to let them know my accident has happened to many others.

The thing is I really do love the quick release, but maybe baader should add a second thumb screw as a safety net, that makes sense right? Ill suggest it to them.

But ok im ever so grateful for the repair and look forward to Jupiter rising at zenith XD.

Thanks again and let's hope baader does something about this issue. What would others suggest? I know ashely at precise parts makes a direct 2in adaptor, but I know I would miss the quick release as I have a baader to x2 televe powermate which I love and wod dearly miss.

Pingster

#6063117 - 09/04/13 05:48 PM

How about if baader makes the thumb screw twist in the opposite direction to a normal thumb screw? Then you cant accidentally unloosen. If they made two holes in the qick release ring, one for normal direction to unlose and the other as an inverse option.

JRiggs

Reged: 07/08/13

Loc: Western New York
      #6063461 - 09/04/13 10:04 PM

If they even just made the screw longer, it would be an improvement! I complained about this to Astro Physics last year at this time shortly after the screw on my MkV came loose.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4087

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics