Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Denk 21 (and 14) in MarkV? new
      #6040302 - 08/22/13 03:01 PM

I see lots of praise for these eyepieces in Denk Binoviewers. Are they equally good in a MarkV?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Denk 21 (and 14) in MarkV? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6040559 - 08/22/13 06:04 PM

I am sure that they will work, but you are leaving a lot of aperture on the table if your goal is to get a wide field.

The Mark V can support a 28mm field stop (24mm Hyperion and 35mm Ultima both have 28mm field stops). The D21s only have a 24.7mm field stop. Now this is perfect for the Binotron because it is perfectly matched to the smaller prisms and especially to the low power arm of the powerswitch in that system (bigger field stop eyepecies will slightly vignette with the low power arm in).

Any 1.25" eyepiece will work, but in A la carte mode (bino without powerswitch) the Mark V can give a wider well illuminated field with the 24mm or 35m than the Denk can.

It will work though. Any 1.25" eyepiece will work in the Mark V and it will work as well as it works anywhere else.

If you just want a pair of 21mm eyepieces (21.6mm is about what the focal length really is) then I think the Denks will be quite excellent in the Mark V.

Edited by Eddgie (08/22/13 06:56 PM)

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Denk 21 (and 14) in MarkV? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6040601 - 08/22/13 06:22 PM

Thanks Eddgie! Exactly what I wanted to understand.

Pingster

Reged: 06/27/11

Re: Denk 21 (and 14) in MarkV? [Re: Aquarist]
      #6040718 - 08/22/13 07:53 PM

I have a pair of 21 denki, I bought them with my denki ii binoviewer. I also have a mark V bino, and a pair of 24pantopics. In my experience the pans are far better in both binos. They are sharper and sharper to edge of fov, and have much less false colour aroubd bright targets such as Jupiter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 311

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics