Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Wilmann-Bell Binding new
      #6040206 - 08/22/13 01:55 PM

My copy of Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes arrived yesterday and as I was unwrapping it, I noticed how high quality the binding is.

Indeed, many of the other Willmann-Bell books that I have have excellent binding. These books aren't going to fall apart. My Uranometrias that I got in 1998, while a little tattered and soaked with dew are still held together marvelously.

It seems strange that they are a book publisher that publishes some of the seminal works of amateur astronomers, but I, at least, know next to nothing about them. Are the owners amateur astronomers? Anyone know?

(My only quibble with the company is that they tend to keep some dated works (e.g. BASIC Astronomy with a PC, Solar Astronomy Handbook) available without any idea just how long ago these were written.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Re: Wilmann-Bell Binding new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6040449 - 08/22/13 04:38 PM

PM sent.

Im only a mile from W-B

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #6040460 - 08/22/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

My copy of Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes arrived yesterday and as I was unwrapping it, I noticed how high quality the binding is.

Indeed, many of the other Willmann-Bell books that I have have excellent binding. These books aren't going to fall apart. My Uranometrias that I got in 1998, while a little tattered and soaked with dew are still held together marvelously.

It seems strange that they are a book publisher that publishes some of the seminal works of amateur astronomers, but I, at least, know next to nothing about them. Are the owners amateur astronomers? Anyone know?

(My only quibble with the company is that they tend to keep some dated works (e.g. BASIC Astronomy with a PC, Solar Astronomy Handbook) available without any idea just how long ago these were written.)

The books published by Willmann-Bell are indeed well made books. I have quite a few of their books, and I'm not really too worried about them ever coming apart.

Did you also notice that they package them really well for shipping? If I order a book from Amazon, it's a coin toss as to what condition it will arrive in, but I never have such worries about books that I order from Willmann-Bell.

As for their older titles, one might be surprised as to just how many folks still order them. I think a lot of them still have relevant information in them. I figure if they didn't sell, they wouldn't keep them in the inventory--unless it's a simple mater of still having original inventory they're still trying to get rid of. Hard to say.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Wilmann-Bell Binding [Re: okieav8r]
      #6040779 - 08/22/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

Did you also notice that they package them really well for shipping?

Absolutely! It's like the packaging was a case! It actually took me a bit to get into it!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6058985 - 09/02/13 10:36 AM

I'll agree with this observation. I recently received The Night Sky Observer's Guide Volume 2 and it was packaged and boxed exceptionally well. The binding is excellent as the op noted. I'll be ordering a few other books and I'm sure they will be the same quality...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 552

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics