Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
Kretieg

Reged: 03/21/13

Loc: Louisiana
Eye Piece choice
      #6040917 - 08/22/13 10:29 PM

I will soon take delivery on a new premium 16" dob. I have sold most everything astro I have to fund it. I am left with a very nice eyepiece case, a Dewbuster modified with two 12v accessory ports, a Hyperion 24mm and 13mm with twin stacking rings. I need a higher power eyepiece preferably in 2" for those moments of good seeing and just plain high power. My spouse is about out of patience and Christmas is around the corner so an Ethos or Delos is not in the budget. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gunfighter48
sage

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Mill Creek, Washington
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: Kretieg]
      #6040984 - 08/22/13 11:18 PM

Take a look at the ES eyepieces. They are one of the best bang for the buck eyepieces on the market. You didn't say what focal ratio, so I guessing somewhere around F/4 to F/6. And a focal length of around 1800mm. The ES eyepieces seem to do well at that range.

But the high power ones are usually 1.25". There's not much reason to go to 2" for high power. You get the same view with 1.25" eyepieces. You can always get a medium power 2" eyepiece and then get a 2" barlow (2X or 3X) to give you the high power you're looking for.

The ES 18mm is a 2" eyepiece and does excellent in my F/10 scopes. I also have a Celestron 8mm Ultima LX that is a 1.25/2" barrel eyepiece. The Ultima is big and heavy but it does great in my f/10 scopes. Don't know how it would do in your Dob.

Edited by gunfighter48 (08/22/13 11:34 PM)

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: gunfighter48]
      #6041017 - 08/22/13 11:41 PM

If your scope is sub F5 then premium eyepieces will work best. If Delos is too pricey you might consider Vixen LVW. Excellent in fast scopes and dual barrels like the Hyperions. However at $270 they aren't exactly cheap, just cheaper than Delos (and have that 2" barrel). If that is still out of your price range, they usually sell for $100 less used, and I think I just saw an 8mm posted in Classifieds. Or if you want to go used, you could get another Hyperion. I should work as well as the ones you have.

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #6041101 - 08/23/13 01:01 AM

First choice: If you can swing $250, the 9mm ES100 is fabulous. It's a 2", fairly high power EP.

Second choice, I recommend an 8.8mm ES82 for $100. Maybe the 6.7mm depending on the FL of your scope.

Or, since you have the FTRs, a used 8mm or 10mm Hyperion would be really versatile as well.

Kretieg

Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: Jarrod]
      #6041165 - 08/23/13 02:31 AM

I did forget to mention the FL.

16" f/4.5

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
      #6041193 - 08/23/13 03:19 AM

At f/4.5 you'll probably need a Paracorr. And Hyperions will suffer at this focal ratio.
ES 68, 82 and 100s are great with short Newtonians. A ES100 9mm will give 2mm of exit pupil and it would be your workhorse. ES100 20mm (4.4mm exit pupil) to ES82 30mm (6.67 exit pupil) will be great finders and widefield eyepieces. Your max would be the ES100 5.5 or ES82 4.7 (much cheeper).
Since this is a premium telescope it would be a pity not to feed it with great eyepieces. You might just get three, or two and an Antares 1.6x barlow since you don't want to spend much, but don't avoid good widefields that will permit you to track easier and observe better.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6041301 - 08/23/13 06:39 AM

I also vote along with others before me for the ES 100 9mm and ES 100 20mm or ES 82 30mm

Consider used to save some $$$ and do consider a Paracorr or Baader MPCC

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6041307 - 08/23/13 06:48 AM

I don't have a problem using the LVW at F4.5. The ES are very nice but not quite as sharp in sub F5 scopes. Of course an ES 100 deg eyepiece will give a much wider FOV so then you choose between quality or quantity. Or if your budget doesn't go that high get an ES 82 deg. Very good performance for $100 eyepieces, and you can get a parracor later if you feel the need.

Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #6041709 - 08/23/13 11:27 AM

Kreteig,

Congratulations on the scope, and you have my sympathy regarding your budget.

For minimum cost, I'd suggest that you should just get a good Barlow for your 13 Hyperion. Usually, a Barlow will help clean up the eyepiece deficiencies. If you don't like coma, the paracorr might be the next priority. If you can accept the coma and you really want a decent high power eyepiece, then I'd encourage you to wait and save for a used Delos/XW. That would be cheaper in the long run.

Probably the best route will be to wait for the scope and try your current eyepieces with it. Once you've used it, you will have a better idea of what you really need (and your spouse's tolerance).

Hermie

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: Hermie]
      #6041762 - 08/23/13 12:02 PM

With a barlow you end up with 4 virtual eyepieces. Perhaps sell your two eyepieces and buy a Hyperion 8-24 zoom and one good quality widefield larger than 24mm. Anytime someone is budget limited, I recommend this zoom...way better than just 2 or 3 fixed focal length options IMHO. I often go out with just my zoom eyepiece. Framing your subjects is really what observing is all about...the zoom delivers in spades!

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: t.r.]
      #6042191 - 08/23/13 04:41 PM

Choice 1: Paracorr (it will eliminate coma and clean up the images in the Hyperions a lot.
Choice 2: a good 9mm eyepiece
Choice 3: a good Barlow.

I'll leave it up to others to make suggestions on brand and model.

Kretieg

Re: Eye Piece choice new [Re: Starman1]
      #6042532 - 08/23/13 09:38 PM

Thanks a lot for your helpful insight everyone.

Kretieg

#6042548 - 08/23/13 09:43 PM

I forgot to mention that the scope is an Astrosky as is the eyepiece case. Been having this on order for a while. He is officially closed until Sept. and right now is just finishing up earlier orders. I happen to live down the road from Mr. James Grigar and have known him for some years. His work is very high quality and just beautiful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 474

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics