Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation
      #6041236 - 08/23/13 04:52 AM

If viewed through the eyepiece, can a green laser pointer's beam cutting across the field of view, and being magnified, actually affect your eye's dark adaptation? (Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the pointer shining directly into the OTA, but about its upwardly directed beam crossing through your telescope's field of view.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6041292 - 08/23/13 06:31 AM

Yes, it does.

wags1

Reged: 05/23/13

Loc: PA, USA
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6041402 - 08/23/13 08:27 AM

Very minimally. That said, other than initial alignment of the GLP (if being used as a finder), there should be no reason to have the GLP on when you are looking thru the EP.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6041406 - 08/23/13 08:29 AM

This is how I use my GLP as a finder; I can see the end of the beam in the center of the FOV of my eyepiece. The beam is not as bright as you may think, and while there may be some degradation of dark adaption, I honestly do not notice it.

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: hottr6]
      #6041410 - 08/23/13 08:32 AM

The answer will depend a lot on how dark adapted you are to start with. If you are in an urban area, you probably won't get fully dark adapted anyway, and the GLP won't make much difference. If you are at a truly dark site and have let your eyes adapt for an hour, and are hunting dim fuzzies, it could set you back a few minutes while your eyes re-adapt.

Jarad

wags1

#6041491 - 08/23/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

This is how I use my GLP as a finder; I can see the end of the beam in the center of the FOV of my eyepiece. The beam is not as bright as you may think, and while there may be some degradation of dark adaption, I honestly do not notice it.

I'm wondering how you are using your GLP as a finder. To explain what I mean, this is how I use mine. I pick my first alignment star. Once the scope slews to the spot where it thinks the first alignment star is I press and hold the remote instant on/off pressure switch for my GLP. While holding the switch "on" I use the arrow keys of my handbox and slew the scope so that the laser beam touches the alignment star. I then let go of the switch and look in the EP. Normally at that point the star is close to center or at least somewhere I can see it in the EP (the better you do at the initial alignment/setup of your GLP the closer it will be to dead center at this point). While looking in the EP (GLP still off) I make the final adjustments to get the alignment star dead center. I repeat that process for the second alignment star. At no time is my GLP on when I am looking into the EP.
I'm not saying this is the only process to be used, but I don't understand what is gained by looking in the EP with the GLP on.

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: wags1]
      #6041498 - 08/23/13 09:33 AM

Quote:

I'm not saying this is the only process to be used, but I don't understand what is gained by looking in the EP with the GLP on.

Normally would just do this to confirm that the GLP is aligned with where the scope it pointing (i.e. when you are first aligning the GLP). After that, you might do it again just to check the alignment. But you are right, you normally wouldn't need to observe while it is on.

Jarad

wags1

Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: Jarad]
      #6041583 - 08/23/13 10:23 AM

IMHO, the one "must have" GLP accessory, in addition to the mount obviously, is a remote instant on/off switch. Basically a pressure switch on the end of a short wire. It provides two important functions. One, it allows you to turn your GLP on/off without causing any vibrations or movement of your scope. And two, it allows you to use your GLP in very short bursts which is typically all you ever need.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: wags1]
      #6041756 - 08/23/13 11:59 AM

The laser sold at Orion has a ring attachment with 3 setscrews and 1 forth thumb screw to turn onto the momentary on/off pushbutton. It seems to work consistently.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: Jarad]
      #6041824 - 08/23/13 12:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Normally would just do this to confirm that the GLP is aligned with where the scope it pointing (i.e. when you are first aligning the GLP). After that, you might do it again just to check the alignment. But you are right, you normally wouldn't need to observe while it is on.

Affirmative. I was answering the OP's question of does the GLP beam viewed through the eyepiece affect dark-adaption. Once I have verified parallelism of OTA and GLP, there is never any need to view the beam in the eyepiece.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#6042565 - 08/23/13 09:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Affirmative. I was answering the OP's question of does the GLP beam viewed through the eyepiece affect dark-adaption. Once I have verified parallelism of OTA and GLP, there is never any need to view the beam in the eyepiece.

Actually, I was thinking more about how it might affect another person. If I was thoroughly dark adapted trying to tease detail out of a dim galaxy when suddenly a GLP beam appear in my FOV, I imagine that would disappoint me just a wee bit. I would hate to think that I might be doing that to someone else.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6042628 - 08/23/13 10:38 PM

It definitely affects one's dark adaptation as viewed in a green zone with less than an hour of dark adaptation. A person using a laser within a fifty foot radius can make M51 turn green in your eyepiece.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: star drop]
      #6042756 - 08/24/13 12:33 AM

Luckily the people I observe with don't use one of these devices as a finder. On the rare occasion when I've been somewhere where a laser did happen to go across my FOV bad words leapt out of my mouth. Usually I observe alone and happily the star parties I attend have banned GLPs.

I agree with Jarad I think the amount of light pollution you observe from affects how much you are affected. The more LP you are in the less other light will bother you. Light is light. If you are in a fairly dark place any light will affect you. Actually when I'm out with others it's those stupid red headlamps that so many observers (especially the imagers) are starting to wear that bother e more than lasers. Turn them OFF when we are talking to each other. Your ears will still work even if yu an't see my face and my eyes will still work when we are finished.

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #6043480 - 08/24/13 12:12 PM

I wonder if the bright green dazzle of the beam used naked eye as a pointer affects dark adaptation?

Jon

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6043827 - 08/24/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the bright green dazzle of the beam used naked eye as a pointer affects dark adaptation?

Jon

So, given this, why do so many seem to gravitate towards using GLPs? Isn't this kind of like people shining flashlights into each others' faces?

Edited by mayidunk (08/24/13 03:45 PM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6043985 - 08/24/13 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

So, given this, why do so many seem to gravitate towards using GLPs? Isn't this kind of like people shining flashlights into each others' faces?

There is no "given" there, he was asking the question. My answer would be no. I've used a GLP at many dark sky outings, and the light has not been bright enought to reduce my night vision. Granted, I have older eyes, so YMMV.

If using a laser was equal to shining a flashlight is someone's face, then no one would be using them.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Green Laser Pointers, and Dark Adaptation new [Re: SteveG]
      #6044020 - 08/24/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

I've used a GLP at many dark sky outings, and the light has not been bright enought to reduce my night vision.

Exactly how can one be sure that ones dark adaptation has not been affected?

Jon

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #6046197 - 08/25/13 11:36 PM

Quote:

Actually when I'm out with others it's those stupid red headlamps that so many observers (especially the imagers) are starting to wear that bother e more than lasers. Turn them OFF when we are talking to each other. Your ears will still work even if you can't see my face and my eyes will still work when we are finished.

Bill

Oh god, I hate when this happens. I always have to tell them to "please turn off your headlamps"

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
      #6046352 - 08/26/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've used a GLP at many dark sky outings, and the light has not been bright enought to reduce my night vision.

Exactly how can one be sure that ones dark adaptation has not been affected?

Jon

Just check that limiting magnitude star and determine if it is still visible. I sometimes - not often - use a violet laset pointer (405nm) to point out constellations or object locations. It does not appear to affect my night vision (in any case, it's only visible to my left eye; my right eye can't see it, and that's my dominant eye).

Clears,

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #6046475 - 08/26/13 07:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

Ego, grand standing, being the self appointed wizard of others' night sly....

I've had many a green beam cross my ep field at public outreach when trying to show guests something through a scope, that they might never see without a scope. But the intrusive beam often quickly becomes the show. "Wow, what was that?" Commonly followed by "Where can I get one of those?" With luck and patience they might actually see a bit of the structure or shape of the intended target, or it's companions. But frequently it's off to find the pretty green light.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 936

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics