Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Calling Owners of Omni cg4
      #6041930 - 08/23/13 01:56 PM

If you own the Omni CG4, can it be configured to alt az, like the Vixen Polaris' of old?

CG4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CoastieLT
journeyman

Reged: 07/30/13

Re: Calling Owners of Omni cg4 new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6042055 - 08/23/13 03:19 PM

No I do not believe it can. There is nothing in the instructions and I don't see how it could be changed, although I must admit I do not know exactly how the old polaris did it either.

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Calling Owners of Omni cg4 new [Re: CoastieLT]
      #6042086 - 08/23/13 03:41 PM

Yes - you can do it - I did. If interested I can send you pics. It does involve taking away a small bit of metal - that you cannot see when done.

Edited by Ouranos (08/23/13 03:42 PM)

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Calling Owners of Omni cg4 new [Re: Ouranos]
      #6042367 - 08/23/13 07:11 PM

Don't bother. Its a very capable GEM in its own right. The heavy stainless steel legs are extremely sturdy and make the mount more stable with shorter damping times than the Vixen GP. Put RA and Dec drives on it and a polar alignment scope and you will have a great, very useful, and easily transportable mount for around 400 bucks.

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Calling Owners of Omni cg4 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6042383 - 08/23/13 07:53 PM

I agree with all that Terra said. However, if you still want to modify the mount - simply google CG4 mount to Alt Az. The first thing that came up for me was a discussion in CN. By the way, after modifying my mount, I rarely used it in the Alt/Az configuration. Others seem to have used it that way almost exclusively.

kevint1
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Calling Owners of Omni cg4 new [Re: Ouranos]
      #6043956 - 08/24/13 05:15 PM

Yes, it can. I used one as an alt az with my ES 102 ED refractor for a couple of years. It worked very well. I didn't use a counterweight and never felt it was close to tipping. This configuration puts both slo motion controls at the back of the mount so they are easy to reach when looking through a refractor. I didn't have to remove any metal from mine. I did some tuning on both axis and it was real smooth after that. I found balancing the scope for and aft is important for smooth tracking in alt, also. I put it back as an equatorial and sold it when I got my DSV-3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 236

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics