Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Whirlpool51

Reged: 09/12/12

Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount new
      #6032234 - 08/18/13 03:57 AM

I recently bought an Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount.
The mount is very good. However. It doesn't have goto, only a four button hand controller.

Can anybody tell me please. Can I Upgrade the HC and replace this with a Synscan AZ GOTO Handset?

Edited by Whirlpool51 (08/18/13 03:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount new [Re: Whirlpool51]
      #6033953 - 08/19/13 03:53 AM

Quote:

I recently bought an Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount.
The mount is very good. However. It doesn't have goto, only a four button hand controller.

Can anybody tell me please. Can I Upgrade the HC and replace this with a Synscan AZ GOTO Handset?

Some non-goto mounts cannot be upgraded with goto unless the motors are also upgraded, but it depends on the mount. If the mount can slew quickly with the four-button controller, then it is more likely that it would not need new motors if a goto upgrade is possible. While this mount appears similar to so other recent offerings, I'm not sure if it is the same or not and it may be difficult to find someone who has attempted any kind of conversion on it. Have you asked the company about the possibility?

TONGKW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/07

Re: Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount new [Re: Whirlpool51]
      #6033969 - 08/19/13 04:23 AM

It would appear the Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount can be controlled by a Skywatcher Synscan hand controller with Goto function. But I would advise you to first check with the supplier to verify if such is compatible with your particular model. See this link.

http://pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/merlin/starter-scope/Goto/merlindeluxe/goto/...

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

Edited by TONGKW (08/19/13 06:08 AM)

Whirlpool51

Reged: 09/12/12

Re: Acuter Merlin Multifunction Mount [Re: TONGKW]
      #6041966 - 08/23/13 02:24 PM

Thank you for the advice chaps.

I have decided to leave it alone for now. What I really want to do is fix this mount to a wedge for long exposure, piggyback DSLR imaging.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 350

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics