Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Moon and Skyglow filter - really?
      #6042522 - 08/23/13 09:33 PM

Lately Ive been using my Baader Moon and Skyglow filter on the moon (afterall). I have to say it seems rather pointless. Don't get me wrong this neodymium is an EXCELLENT contrast engancing filter on a number of objects and ok, it brings a creamy summer moon to a more neutral correct grey - but the sky glow moon thing. Zero on that account.

Anyone else find this to be true? What IS the advantage with the moon here?

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6042667 - 08/23/13 11:04 PM

I've actually never found a use for it. I bought one for use with Mars, but it turned out to be more or less useless.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6042712 - 08/23/13 11:44 PM

Haven't tried it out on that one yet. Its a curious little filter though - its light curves seemingly have bracketed drop outs between colors - primarily yellow-green but elsewhere to that seems to isolate the colors it does pass and enhances them without the polluting effects of the colors blocked. Reds are more vibrant - blues too . Mars though - haven't tried that yet.

Ill tell you Rick, Naglers got some promising looking filters for Mars - two infact if memory serves. These may just be the ticket. Have you tried these?

Pete

jg3
sage

Reged: 05/27/07

Loc: near Auburn, CA
      #6042752 - 08/24/13 12:30 AM

I have one of those too. Totally mis-named, probably from their early experimental days with neodymium glass. I thought the idea was to block moonlight and skyglow when observing deep-space objects when the moon is up. Now we have better filters for light-pollution control.

I do find it helps me better see features of Mars and Jupiter, but not on the Moon itself. I'd still like to compare it to the planetary filters by TeleVue and Denkmeier.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #6042823 - 08/24/13 01:23 AM

Quote:

Lately Ive been using my Baader Moon and Skyglow filter on the moon (afterall). I have to say it seems rather pointless. Don't get me wrong this neodymium is an EXCELLENT contrast engancing filter on a number of objects and ok, it brings a creamy summer moon to a more neutral correct grey - but the sky glow moon thing. Zero on that account.

Pete

I have a very similar filter (the old Sirius Optics NPC filter). I use it mainly on my 80mm f/5 refractor and my 100mm f/6 refractor, as it tends to tone down the faint color fringing of both of the achromat doublets these scopes use. Other than that, I don't use it very much. Clear skies to you.

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6043417 - 08/24/13 11:31 AM

I have found it really useful and that is shows quite noticeable effects on Jupiter, but not noticeable on anything else.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6045182 - 08/25/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

Ill tell you Rick, Naglers got some promising looking filters for Mars - two infact if memory serves. These may just be the ticket. Have you tried these?

I haven't, mostly because of the price. But I do have the old Sirius Optics Mars filter, and a #30 magenta filter. These are both great performers, and I haven't felt the urge to spring for the TV offerings (yet).

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: cpsTN]
      #6045183 - 08/25/13 01:23 PM

Quote:

I have found it really useful and that is shows quite noticeable effects on Jupiter, but not noticeable on anything else.

Hmmm. I'll try it on the Jupster next time I have him in view. Thanks for the tip.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6045770 - 08/25/13 07:11 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I do need to get a magenta filter finally - I know Vernonscope carries it.

I do love the NEO filter by the way - its name however is not really covering what this filter is about.

Pete

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #6046564 - 08/26/13 08:55 AM

Pete,

Quote:

There is no advantage with the Moon. There is not supposed to be any advantage with the Moon. The Baader M&SG is not meant to be used as a Moon filter. The original idea seems to be that glare from the Moon as well as skyglow can diminish contrast for planets. The point of the M&SG is to enhance contrast for planet observation.

Neodymium Moon & SkyGlow Filter pdf

IME, the Baader M&SF is the best general contrast enhancing filter for viewing Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. To my eyes, the improvement in contrast is obvious. Now, I'm not saying that the M&SF will allow discernment of planet surface detail not visible without the filter - very few if any filters will - but it does make the detail easier to see.

The Baader M&SG is not a Moon filter nor a deep sky filter. It is a planet filter.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6046584 - 08/26/13 09:07 AM

For Mars, the Magenta #30 improves contrast simultaneously for surface features and atmosphere. Other filters will do one or the other but not both. (For example, the two Mars filters from TeleVue.) IMO, Magenta is the best general filter for Mars. Also IMO, M&SG is a close runner up.

Some observers also like the Salmon #80 for Martian maria. I've tried the Salmon but didn't see much advantage to it, at least compared to the Magenta.

I actually like the effect of Magenta stacked with the Baader M&SG for Mars. The M&SG is a great filter for experimenting. Viewing Jupiter or Mars with various color filters stacked with the M&SG is a treat.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6046589 - 08/26/13 09:12 AM

I see in my notes collected from other observers that Magenta is supposed to be a good filter for enhancing white ovals on Jupiter. I've never tried this myself. I'll have to give it a go next time I observe Jupiter.

Mike

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #6047118 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM

I like using my M&SG stacked with a fringe killer on the Moon and Jupiter. Heck I even like using that combo when I view the sun with a Baader film white light filter.

Just more comfortable and I see more detail. Same on my Newts and SCT.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: BSJ]
      #6047655 - 08/26/13 08:30 PM

Thanks for the clarifying Mike. It actually does a nice job removing that summer haze yellow the moon can have and leaves a more natural lunar grey so its good to that extent. Again thanks for explaining.

Pete

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: BSJ]
      #6047733 - 08/26/13 09:16 PM

Is that combination not similar to the Baader Contrast Booster?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Moon and Skyglow filter - really? new [Re: Eric63]
      #6047750 - 08/26/13 09:28 PM

Same thing . I opted for seperate filters though as a fringe killer on my reflector isn't needed. The combo on a refractor - now that I've used them stacked - is the best way to go by far. For differing scope designs where they focus all light equally the fringe killer just isn't advantageous.

The NEO as Mike Mentions though is a hands down fav in my filter kit .

Peye

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6047753 - 08/26/13 09:29 PM

Same thing . I opted for seperate filters though as a fringe killer on my reflector isn't needed. The combo on a refractor - now that I've used them stacked - is the best way to go by far. For differing scope designs where they focus all light equally the fringe killer just isn't advantageous.

The NEO as Mike Mentions though is a hands down fav in my filter kit for planetary. Not that wrattens are antiquated, far from it but as a very effective gentle filter - its a clear success.

Pete

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #6047765 - 08/26/13 09:35 PM

I have both the M&SG filter and the contrast booster. I bought them when I had my 102mm F5 achro, but unfortunately nothing could help that scope on the planets I'm now curious to try them on my Mak and Newt on Jupiter.

Eric

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6048282 - 08/27/13 07:34 AM

F/5 is pretty fast for a 102mm achro - must've been great in deepsky though. My Ranger at f6.8 is about as fast as I'd want to go. The glass is actually as good as it can be and still be an achro in terms of CA so the MSG does a really fine job actually. Like you say though at f/5 - it had its work load and then some.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (08/27/13 07:40 AM)

LThomas

Reged: 08/15/13

Loc: Wyoming
      #6048351 - 08/27/13 08:31 AM

My Issue is the moon is blinding in the telescope. I use an ES 18MM*82 EP and I just cant stand looking at the moon as its so bright.

Is there a filter that will reduce this brightness so that one is able to actually view the moon without being permanently blind?

I have the Zhumel "see it all" filter set but no filter seems to hardly do any good in reducing the blinding glare of the moon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics