Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
urassner
sage
*****

Reged: 07/08/12

Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO
      #6042820 - 08/24/13 01:19 AM

In the next week or two I should be getting my dream mount (a used AP900 GTO CP3). I would appreciate any suggestions for a good regulated power supply and/or battery pack. Was has worked well for you ?
Thank you.

Ulrich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mistyridge
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6042839 - 08/24/13 01:42 AM

I have found that the Pyramid PS9kx 12v regulated power supply rated at5amps constant and 7amp peak has worked well for me for all my mounts from a G11 to a AVX and my cameras. I bought one from Amazon last year for about $30.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher
*****

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: mistyridge]
      #6042842 - 08/24/13 01:46 AM

I also use this same Pyramid PS9kx and I think it is the same one that AP sells too. I have two of these that I used for the AP900 and Losmandy GM-8. They work well and power the mount with no problems at all.
Blueman


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: blueman]
      #6042872 - 08/24/13 02:50 AM

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

I LOVE my 900GTO mount!

I use a 12V 6A 72watt power supply in a sealed plastic housing.

http://www.newpowersupply.com/72w_12v_6a_5_5_2_5mm_tip_lcd_ac_adapter_bulk_mo...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
urassner
sage
*****

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6043666 - 08/24/13 01:52 PM

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom and Beth
Post Laureate


Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6043957 - 08/24/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?




For that, you need to provide more details, such as
1) What else would you need to power? Dewstrips? Focusers? Computer?
2) How long will you run it? All night? All weekend?

I know that my 1200 runs on half an amp tracking and up to 2 amps slewing. Using current draw of an amp per hour over an 8 hour night would indicate a ~17AH battery. You don't want to draw batteries below the 50% level. A wheelchair battery (~35AH) would last a weekend.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
urassner
sage
*****

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #6044010 - 08/24/13 05:54 PM

Thanks for your battery information. I am only going to run the mount on this with a 20 pound 6 inch refractor. However, I also want it to work in the winter down to about 10F.
I was thinking about 20Ah or so.
Has anyone here have experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
andysea
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6044025 - 08/24/13 06:08 PM

Check out this document on the AP website. It tells you exactly what you need to power your mount in the field.
Read from page 14 on
http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/servo/gtocp3manual-2011-0718...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: andysea]
      #6044190 - 08/24/13 08:36 PM

I've had discussions with the AP crown as well as reading that.

So, to distill what I learned down...

You'll need about 39 AH of 12 V power.

The ideal battery is a golf-cart or scooter battery. Automotive batteries are damaged by deep drawdown, and marine deep cycle batteries still have part of this startup function. You can either find 12V batteries or get 6V batteries and hook them up in series.

I have seen some housings which look like suitable batteries could be put in them and they'd have 12V plugs in place, but I'm not sure I can get them together with the right battery. If a sparky went and picked a reference set of parts, that would be a huge help.

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
urassner
sage
*****

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6044281 - 08/24/13 09:40 PM

Rich & Andy, thank you for your insight. I had read the AP info, but had also come across posts with people using a 17 AH battery. From your discussions with AP, was the reasoning to have enough power for a couple nights?
Have you heard anything about Lithium Iron batteries? They seem to be quite a bit more expensive, but a fraction of the weight. Not sure if it is worth the price premium though.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RodShea
member


Reged: 11/01/09

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6044453 - 08/25/13 12:12 AM

Optima yellow or blue top batteries in "MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center" battery boxes work well. The cases are well built, and have good sockets in them. They also have circuit breakers instead of fuses.

Rod


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: RodShea]
      #6044521 - 08/25/13 01:17 AM

They recommend taking 30 amp-hours to get through at least one cold night. Just a bit more gets you through two nights the rest of the year. I can't personally imagine having two sets of batteries at that scale.

I was interested in the MinnKota boxes, though it would take some measuring to make sure golfcart batteries would go in. I like the circuit breaker feature, though.

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher
*****

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6044563 - 08/25/13 01:49 AM

I use two large deep cycle batteries in the field. They are about 110 amp hour each. I use one for the mount and the other is for the laptop and other things. I charge them each day for the next night.
Blueman


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: blueman]
      #6044594 - 08/25/13 02:21 AM

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobility.com/excel-12v-45ah-sla-batteries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher
*****

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6044604 - 08/25/13 02:31 AM

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Plus I buy the batteries for $8o each or so. Much cheaper, just heavier.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobility.com/excel-12v-45ah-sla-batteries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6044894 - 08/25/13 10:08 AM

I use the power supply AP sells when observing at home, an Optima blue top deep cycle when I'm not near an outlet.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: blueman]
      #6045031 - 08/25/13 11:36 AM

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

Quote:

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Plus I buy the batteries for $8o each or so. Much cheaper, just heavier.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobility.com/excel-12v-45ah-sla-batteries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich







Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
korborh
professor emeritus
*****

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6045239 - 08/25/13 01:50 PM

Look for marine deep cycle batteries at Walmart.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: korborh]
      #6045262 - 08/25/13 02:04 PM

From what AP says, that's the wrong type of battery.

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher
*****

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6045277 - 08/25/13 02:15 PM

I have purchased three from WalMart over the years. The two I have today are both Walmart batteries and cost under $80. I bought them 3-4 years ago.

I found this for the what seems to be 96 amp hr for $100 and it is 61.7 lbs.


http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539

This is what they now seem to rate at 94 amp hr for $78. I think this is similar to the ones that I have. Looks like them. But mine show a higher rating on the top.
Blueman

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539
Quote:

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

Quote:

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Plus I buy the batteries for $8o each or so. Much cheaper, just heavier.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobility.com/excel-12v-45ah-sla-batteries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich










Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
18 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 1241

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics