Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
yashi
super member


Reged: 11/15/11

Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new
      #6041594 - 08/23/13 10:31 AM

Ive got a Vixen GPDX without motors/controller. What im looking for is a solid solution that offers autoguiding/ goto/ pc interface

It seems like that its possible to adapt the Synscan systems. But ive read a lot of bad stuff about them. The second solution seems to be the Vixen Starbook S. But that one is pretty expensive and i don really need the display.

The little foot system seems to be ok, but ive no idea where its possible to buy it.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cherokawa
sage
*****

Reged: 10/19/08

Loc: Torrance, CA
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: yashi]
      #6041730 - 08/23/13 11:39 AM

One option that comes to mind is the iOptron GotoNova kit. More details here.

Good luck.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fetoma
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: cherokawa]
      #6041794 - 08/23/13 12:24 PM

You can put a Meade Autostar on it. Bolts right on with the exception of shortening one motor mount bolt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: fetoma]
      #6041894 - 08/23/13 01:28 PM

I did a Meade Autostar conversion on a GP.

The problem is unless you get the LXD55 or 75 motors, there's some fabrication required (and it ends up unreliable).

And the LXD55/75 motors are pretty hard to get hold of. Not to mention the 55 motors have that infamous encoder disk that bends and screws up the GoTo pointing.

An overkill approach would be a Losmandy Gemini kit.. although I think the least cost conversion has to be the Synscan GoTo conversion kit for the EQ5. I believe it's $400 from some Canadian dealers.. (if still available)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6041997 - 08/23/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

I did a Meade Autostar conversion on a GP.

The problem is unless you get the LXD55 or 75 motors, there's some fabrication required (and it ends up unreliable).

And the LXD55/75 motors are pretty hard to get hold of. Not to mention the 55 motors have that infamous encoder disk that bends and screws up the GoTo pointing.

An overkill approach would be a Losmandy Gemini kit.. although I think the least cost conversion has to be the Synscan GoTo conversion kit for the EQ5. I believe it's $400 from some Canadian dealers.. (if still available)




A person can still get a set of LXD-55/75 motors by calling Meade Customer Support with a credit card handy. Meade is used to people calling in and telling them that they "smoked their motors" by plugging the wrong cables into the wrong ports.

I have two GP-DX and one GP mount that have been retrofitted with Meade LXD-55/75 motors and I believe it is an awesome combination. Very powerful/versatile and user friendly.

And this is coming from a guy who's current main mount is an Astro-Physics 900GTO.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6042708 - 08/23/13 11:40 PM

Chris, I didn't know you could still get 55/75 motors.

I did call Meade some years ago about this, and they wanted $180 each for the motors. So $360 for both.. hardly cost-effective.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6042739 - 08/24/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Chris, I didn't know you could still get 55/75 motors.

I did call Meade some years ago about this, and they wanted $180 each for the motors. So $360 for both.. hardly cost-effective.




Compare that to the turnkey GOTO solutions from other sources and it becomes a steal-deal.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6042751 - 08/24/13 12:28 AM

Like I mentioned above, the EQ5 Synscan kit used to be $400 from some Canadian dealers. With the 55/75 motors you'd still need a handset ($80) and the panel box, and some fabrication.

Can't find the Canadian dealer, but FLO in the UK sells this for $467:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-...

I suspect you could take 19% off if shipping outside the EU zone.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more
*****

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6042770 - 08/24/13 12:42 AM

Quote:

With the 55/75 motors you'd still need a handset ($80) and the panel box, and some fabrication.




The interface panel is in the RA motor housing, so that's handled. I don't believe there's any fabrication involved. If I ever run out of SS2K controllers I'll switch over the Meade stuff for my Vixen mounts.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6042771 - 08/24/13 12:42 AM

The Meade Autostar 497/Audiostar offers so much more.

* 12,000+ object database.
* Comet and asteroid databases with full orbital element data entry.
* Defacto universal serial command protocol support.
* Massive third party hardware and software support.
* Massive user community.
* PEC.
* Satellite tracking.
* Spiral search.
* Direct RA/DEC coordinate entry for GOTO's.
* Optional GPS units.
* Optional ST-4 autoguider accessories.
* Hacked firmware images from multiple sources that add a whole multitude of features and functions.
* Custom tracking and guiding rates.
* User-programmable axis ratios.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6042776 - 08/24/13 12:45 AM

Quote:

Like I mentioned above, the EQ5 Synscan kit used to be $400 from some Canadian dealers. With the 55/75 motors you'd still need a handset ($80) and the panel box, and some fabrication.

Can't find the Canadian dealer, but FLO in the UK sells this for $467:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-...

I suspect you could take 19% off if shipping outside the EU zone.




The only fabrication required is shortening the RA motor mounting bolt by 1/4".

The interface panel is integral to the RA motor housing.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6042780 - 08/24/13 12:49 AM

One other option is to buy a used LXD75 - there is one on the classifieds for $390.

Strip off the parts, sell the motor-less LXD75 for a hundred bucks. Ends up cheaper..


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yashi
super member


Reged: 11/15/11

Re: Vixen GP-DX which controller/motor? [Re: orlyandico]
      #6045251 - 08/25/13 01:53 PM

i found a used eq5 Synscan. I hope it performs well enough :/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
21 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 549

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics