Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
johnd39818

Reged: 12/31/12

Orion GPS unit with celestron Mount
      #6046024 - 08/25/13 09:29 PM

Any one know a way to use the Orion GPS unit with celestron mounts. I believe I read that the celestron Skysync will work with the Orion Mounts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Orion GPS unit with celestron Mount new [Re: johnd39818]
      #6046328 - 08/26/13 02:03 AM

allthough most orion stuff is made by the parent company of celestron, synta generally speaking celestron software is completely seprate and incompatible with synscan the software that orion and skywatcher synta mounts and scopes use. what this means is if it don't work don't count on getting it working. send the thing back for a refund GPS is not at all something that is critical to use of any mount/scope as they have extensive databases built in and if you needed accurate location information you can get it from many other sources and input it manually (only really needed for using a mounts polar alignment program like ASPA for AP use) for visual use you can be 100 miles off on your location and still get great goto's on a celestron mount in my experience.

Edited by frito (08/26/13 02:04 AM)

gunfighter48
sage

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Mill Creek, Washington
Re: Orion GPS unit with celestron Mount new [Re: frito]
      #6048986 - 08/27/13 02:26 PM

The SkySync will NOT work with the Orion Skyview Pro Goto mount. I just spent 4 weeks trying to get it to work with the Orion mount and then trying to get the Orion GPS module. Orion doesn't sell their GPS module anymore. But I found two suppliers that still had then in stock so I bought on for my Skyview Pro Goto mount. So I would say that the Orion unit will NOT work with the Celestron mount.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Orion GPS unit with celestron Mount new [Re: gunfighter48]
      #6049092 - 08/27/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

Orion doesn't sell their GPS module anymore.

I'm disturbed that Orion doesn't sell quite a few accessories that they used to sell. The pickins on their website are getting rather slim lately.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 176

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics