Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: christheman200]
      #6046164 - 08/25/13 11:10 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KM82LI/ref=s9_dcbhrz_bw_d0_g421_ir01_sh

$59, free shipping.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scottk
sage

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6046189 - 08/25/13 11:28 PM

Then there's the possibiliy of an anti-gravity configuration, a sort of invisible fence for the telescope. One might be able to install what would be an essentially permanent magnetic base and spinning top plate, ring, or alternate geometric configuration. Functional parameters, such as the balance or top weighting, would be stringent. Employing principles of the magnetic field and gyroscopic stabilization, the optical tube would induce levitation through a series of interactive steps. The levitated top's stabilizing rotation would undergo natural, gradual slowing, so that the levitation phenomenon would fail within four minutes unless external power was supplied to sustain rotation.

Of course, none of this would work, and would cost a fortune to even attempt.

christheman200
sage

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: stevenf]
      #6046281 - 08/26/13 12:53 AM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KM82LI/ref=s9_dcbhrz_bw_d0_g421_ir01_sh

$59, free shipping.

If she doesn't go with this, I don't know what else she can use!

Brent Campbell
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope [Re: christheman200]
      #6046588 - 08/26/13 09:11 AM

First off I've been there having to economize. What people in the hobby often forget is that beginners don't just have "stuff sitting around" to make a scope work.

Perhaps she purchased the wrong scope? Yes the 102GT OTA is a steal, but was it right for her? Maybe an astroscan, and ETX90, or a Galileoscope would have been a better deal? Despite the being a good deal on the OTA what are you going to spend?

OTA $69.00
Diagonal: Around $75.00
Finder: $25.00
Mount $125.00
Eyepieces (2): $50.00 each or $100.00
Case (A piece of PVC pipe with padding might work) $20.00

I get a total for $414.00 to get the scope ready. Essentially this OTA combo has turned into "buy the accessories get the OTA for free"! So I can't fault her for trying to save a couple of bucks on the mount.

If I was her I would look for a good used CG-4. I purchased mine for $125.00. New I believe they are $375.00. They are around, although I don't see any for sale right now, and would make a good match for the 102 GT.

There is a VIXEN Portamount II for sale for $175.00 in the classifieds that is interesting. I would look at this seriously!

The $69.00 tripod deal mentioned would work but wouldn't be optimal.

cirrus1500

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: California
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Brent Campbell]
      #6048462 - 08/27/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

There is a VIXEN Portamount II for sale for $175.00 in the classifieds that is interesting. I would look at this seriously!

I too bought the C102 from OPT and I was very interested in this Porta II mount in the classified. At that price, I can imagine many others will be interested. However, the seller haven't got back to me on the shipping cost after 2 days so i went ahead to buy a new Porta II with an upgraded tripod (starguy) at OpticsPlanet (they have a $40 discount for right now). The starguy cost me $359 but in addition to the c102, I know i can use it with my other scopes, and reviews have been great so i think it is well worth it.

Spacegirl, i think you should consider the one in the classified. Or the closest that may be acceptable seems to be the Celestron Heavy Duty Altazimuth mount that Starion recommended ($79 shipped). It seems quite robust compared to others at this price, and it has slow motion control.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cirrus1500]
      #6048538 - 08/27/13 10:27 AM

I think you will detest that cheap Celestron alt-az mount in a hurry when you try and use it effectively with that telescope. While it may lock and hold the tube it is going to vibrate and the clutches will be worthless for making positional adjustments at anything other than very low power when you don't want to crank the slow-mos. It also does not have 360 degree gears and so they will have to be reset every hour. Bottom line, the torque with a tube that length on that mount will be a total PITA. Don't waste your 80 bucks as you will no doubt regret it.

Just wait for a used Vixen polaris mount. They periodically come up for around 100 bucks here on CN. As PDXmoon indicated in your other thread in the refractors forum, you might even find one for less on Craigslist. You will however need a set of rings. A rail is not necessary as the rings bolt directly to the mount. You will also have to take off the stock side mounted rails to get the proper ring spacing on the tube to fit the mount. It will be a fine mount to accommodate that scope.

Space_Girl1234

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6056782 - 08/31/13 10:02 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

Space_Girl1234

#6056791 - 08/31/13 10:08 PM

Quote:

First off I've been there having to economize. What people in the hobby often forget is that beginners don't just have "stuff sitting around" to make a scope work.

Perhaps she purchased the wrong scope? Yes the 102GT OTA is a steal, but was it right for her? Maybe an astroscan, and ETX90, or a Galileoscope would have been a better deal? Despite the being a good deal on the OTA what are you going to spend?

OTA $69.00
Diagonal: Around $75.00
Finder: $25.00
Mount $125.00
Eyepieces (2): $50.00 each or $100.00
Case (A piece of PVC pipe with padding might work) $20.00

I get a total for $414.00 to get the scope ready. Essentially this OTA combo has turned into "buy the accessories get the OTA for free"! So I can't fault her for trying to save a couple of bucks on the mount.

If I was her I would look for a good used CG-4. I purchased mine for $125.00. New I believe they are $375.00. They are around, although I don't see any for sale right now, and would make a good match for the 102 GT.

The $69.00 tripod deal mentioned would work but wouldn't be optimal.

Thank you for reminding others that amateur astronomy shouldn't be the rich man's hobby it really is. It is rare that posters weigh cost as a primary factor in this hobby.

Space_Girl1234

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: christheman200]
      #6056812 - 08/31/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Please provide us with what you are willing to spend.
I'm sorry, but until you do I will assume you are an internet troll.
You keep repeating the same thing and won't give us any feedback. Yes this assumption is harsh, but it needs to be said (IMO).
Well, I guess I don't really think you're a troll, but you are acting like one.

Again thanks everyone for helping me.

I asked a simple question for a LOW COST mount for a LOW COST telescope...the same question many have since buying the Celestron scope.

FWIW...asking a simple question is not being a troll.

Reviewing some of the answers I got from those who feel the need to act like trolls, it would seem that Cloudy Nights is not the kid friendly place it advertises to be. My Dad warned me that asking about a low cost mount in a hobby that spends thousands of dollars for a mount would be a problem.

If kids can't afford equipment, how can this neat hobby of the stars continue?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Space_Girl1234]
      #6057084 - 09/01/13 04:16 AM

Did your dad also explain that being rude to people who are trying to help you is not polite?

This is not a simple question. And the answers you have been given explain why.

Astronomical telescopes work at quite high magnifications, the one you are thinking of getting will probably not be able to work at less than 25 or 30 times, and more like 60x to 100x. This means that any wobbliness is magnified a lot and this make is difficult and frustrating to see anything through it.

This means that in addition to low cost the mount has to be rigid enough to hold the scope. It really also needs a way to adjust it's position smoothly in small amounts.

This sort of thing costs money. People have to be paid to design it. People have to be paid to make it. The materials have to be paid for, so does the dealer who sells it. And it has to be shipped to you. All these things cost money. People have to eat and if they can't do so supplying a mount to you they will have to do something else.

The best mount for that scope will probably be something like a CG5 mount, maybe a CG4. A manual one, with no motors may be available second hand for $100 I guess. Smaller mounts may also be possible, but as they get smaller they get more wobbly.

I doubt that you will get a commercial mount that will actually hold that scope for less than the price of the scope.

The other alternative is to make one and it's possible to make a dobsonian style refractor mount and tripod from plywood for not very much in money but some investment in time. Your dad will need to help with this diy. It's more fun than painting the spare bedroom!

Another idea, do you have a local Astronomy Society? If so join it and talk to the members. They may have loan scopes or mounts. My astro society has all sorts of things like this for loan, including a CG5 with one of those scopes. There may also be a helpful member or two who can help with loaning something they have abandoned.

We are in the UK so that's probably a bit far to travel.

Hope that helps,

Chris

pugliano

Reged: 06/16/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6057336 - 09/01/13 10:00 AM

First, think of it as a $300 scope that you got for an amazing price, rather than as a "low cost scope"!

Second, since price is your primary objective (I get it, you just want to be able to enjoy looking at the stars with your scope without spending a fortune to do it!), then I would say the $59 mount from Amazon will work fine for what you want. Just make sure you don't touch the scope while looking through it, as it will shake.

Most of us old-timers pretty much all started with shakey mounts, and with scopes that were of much lower quality than the 4" refractor you now possess, and we managed to survive and be thrilled with the views until we were able to afford something better.

So, welcome to astronomy! May you always be in awe of what you see in the Heavens.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: pugliano]
      #6057349 - 09/01/13 10:08 AM

Spacegirl,

You'll find that most of the people around here aren't young and very established in our careers. We have differing definitions of 'low cost' as well. I think what many people remember from their first scopes is how frustrating it could be trying to deal with a mount that is 'shaky' and how they wish they'd spent a little more money instead of going through the upgrade cycle.

Now, I'm guilty of it . I went through a First Scope 114 to star with, and followed that up with a Firstscope 114 "GT" that gave me GOTO! Very frustrating scopes/mounts, and I wish I'd gone a different route. If I'd saved the money from those two I could've bought... well, I dunno, something else .

So, people are leery to recommend the mount you suggested because they don't want to give you bad advice. Will it work? Maybe. Might it not work well? Maybe. The low end market is full of stuff that barely works .

The recommendation to find a local astronomy group is very valid. In fact, before spending any more money, look into that. You might find that there are people with old gear they'd loan you or even give you. You'll find many astronomers love to share what they've collected over the years and you'll have someone to ask questions of as you explore the sky.

Good luck!

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #6057423 - 09/01/13 11:02 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Spacegirl,
This is actually a friendly place for anyone. Folks are so excited about your post they just get carried away!!
It also is not a rich mans hobby. It seems I have mostly let the Rich guys buy the stuff and then when they cant lift it anymore I swoop in like a vulture and grab it cheap...

I remember being like 16 and wanting a bigger telescope. So I know what it is like to get the wants and being short of haves. In fact I still have that problem allot.
That time some rich guy backed over his expensive telescope in his garage and he gave it to me for mowing his yard a few times.

The best suggestion on here was to go find the local astronomy group. Go to a meeting or star party, and make a few friends. I was at a star party last month and a friend wanted to sell me a super polaris with motor drives for $100, he was out of room and needed to get rid of it. I am in the same boat "No More Room" Seeing how these sell for $400 used it qualified to me as a cheap really super nice mount for your scope.
Not quite a Troll, but sorta.
(aveman
1947 Nippon Kogaku 5CM
1980 Brandon 80mm
1980 Super Polaris Mount
If you need any help with odds and ends we are in SoCal Clint and Debbie Whitman do a search
And have fun on the Group!

Edited by clintwhitman (09/01/13 07:49 PM)

cirrus1500

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: California
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Raginar]
      #6057435 - 09/01/13 11:06 AM

Or, knowing the weakness of the "low cost" mounts, you can manage your expectations and go for the one most acceptable to you. e.g. some are shaky when touched lightly. Some cannot point higher than 70 degrees (photo tripods), etc. Once you know what you get and can accept it, you could still be satisfied with it for some time, until you are ready to spend more. Once you have experience with a "low cost" mount first hand, you will know what to look for in you next purchase. Then you can sell off your first mount and buy the 2nd one. I think that is a valid solution, too.

Lost in Space
Vendor - Galactic Rocks

Reged: 11/14/04

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #6057763 - 09/01/13 02:21 PM

Hi Space Girl!

I heartily endorse checking out a local Astronomy Club. Don't know your locality, but I think that unless you are living really out and away from even a small city, you should be able to find one. A quick Google search may be worthwhile, but I am including one link here for you that lists some, but not all US Astronomy Clubs - assuming you are in the US. They also list internationally located clubs:

Some US Astronomy Clubs

My club has a loaning library of telescopes, mounts, binoculars, (yes, binocular astronomy is fun too!) books, and who knows what else. Plus, there are members who are willing to help out newcomers.

Locate a nearby club, and have your Dad take you to a meeting and see if you find a similar circumstance. I believe that you will be very happy.

Regards,
Ed

Lost in Space
Vendor - Galactic Rocks

Reged: 11/14/04

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Lost in Space]
      #6057771 - 09/01/13 02:26 PM

P.S. -- When you look at the clubs on that link (I just checked several out in North Carolina) the member count shows 0. I don't believe that they have a very good handle on that, so don't take that number as gospel.

Ed

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Lost in Space]
      #6058477 - 09/01/13 11:23 PM

I have a new in the box CG5 (manual only) that I might sell for $100. I wonder if that would be the right mount for her? I was going to use the nice tripod on a future Alt- AZ head, but what the heck.

Brent Campbell
sage

#6060804 - 09/03/13 10:31 AM

Your very welcome! Keep looking. Don't get discouraged. When I was looking for my C8 it took several weeks before I got the deal that I wanted. My CG-4 took 3 weeks to find.

Keep your criteria "general" (be flexible) and look around. A CG-4, Vixen Portamount, Astro Tech Voyager, Vixen Polaris, Vixen Super Polaris - all of them make great mounts for this scope. Each of them are going to be somewhat different in function but all of these mounts will get the job done.

Brent Campbell
sage

#6060818 - 09/03/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Again thanks everyone for helping me.

I asked a simple question for a LOW COST mount for a LOW COST telescope...the same question many have since buying the Celestron scope.

FWIW...asking a simple question is not being a troll.

Reviewing some of the answers I got from those who feel the need to act like trolls, it would seem that Cloudy Nights is not the kid friendly place it advertises to be. My Dad warned me that asking about a low cost mount in a hobby that spends thousands of dollars for a mount would be a problem.

If kids can't afford equipment, how can this neat hobby of the stars continue?

As a father of two girls I applaud your efforts. One of my daughters is interested in this hobby and in the next year we will be exploring that interest together.

One thing to remember that Astronomy is hard! (It really is)....Much harder than sitting in front of a cell phone and texting....

Spacegirl, you will be able to do this although it won't be easy. Your mount will be available, and if it isn't you can even build one... (see pipe mount). I would go for a good used mount. Check out Ebay, Cloudy nights, and Astromart. The lesson that you learn in overcoming the lack of resources will serve you well into the future.....Keep going!

Brent Campbell
sage

#6060984 - 09/03/13 12:32 PM

Spacegirl take wmakey up on the offer to sell the manual cg5 for 100.00 .if you can make the deal and if the mount is complete you wont find a better deal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1647

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics