Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: HowardK]
      #6051165 - 08/28/13 05:58 PM

Sounds good, I will try it out on a few test spots!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: REC]
      #6051241 - 08/28/13 06:33 PM

Let us know how u get on

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
      #6052145 - 08/29/13 09:20 AM

In my opinion after a few dozen corrector cleans and hundreds to thousands of other photography glass cleaning exercises, the best way to clean a corrector is the same as cleaning a mirror. Use mild dishwater detergent and running warm water and drain it on its side. Avoid touching it and swiping anything across it except to blot up excess water when you're done. You can leave the secondary attached, it's waterproof too.

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6052307 - 08/29/13 10:56 AM

Quote:

Don't worry! Despite the recommendations of Doc Clay's method, and using several other methods, I've concluded that if you're really picky like I am, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a corrector back to day-1 levels of cleanliness. Every method I've ever used, and I've used most of them, has left residues of some kind on the corrector. Around the secondary and at the edges are particularly hard to get clean.

Regards,

Jim

I recently tired Doc Clay's solution and it did leave streaks on the corrector no matter what I did (the humidity was below the recommended 65%). Then I resorted to my secret weapon: acetone and the corrector is now good as new.

There is an application where Doc Clay's solution shines -- literally! -- : on my AR-coated flat-screen TV. Normally, this is impossible to get streak free but with the solution, and acetone for where my 3yo had smeared greasy food on it, it's as good as the day it came out of the box.

Statutory warning about acetone: use only a dampened tissue and never pour or spray directly on the optic. It won't damage the optic but will take paint off wherever it gets in contact with it such as on the retaining ring. Also, when wiping with acetone, lift off the tissue so that the remaining acetone is wicked off. If you don't do this, you can leave a residue from the acetone itself. Hardware store acetone is good enough.

Here's how Roland Christen cleans lenses to where they're restored to original factory condition

http://sdrv.ms/142mxkM

Tanveer.

REC
Post Laureate

#6052339 - 08/29/13 11:21 AM

Ok, just tried the wipes and they did pretty well an no residue left and finished with a micro cloth. It looks a lot better, but was not able to get the fine spots out. I guess it's too late as they probably have etched there way in the coatings.

Oh well, it won't hurt the performance any as they say and it does look a little prettier

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6052427 - 08/29/13 12:12 PM

Use the roland saliva method for the spots.

And/or acetone with a kleennex/cotton bud.

Do not get acetone on any painted parts...the paint will be disolved

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: TG]
      #6052919 - 08/29/13 04:29 PM

"I recently tired Doc Clay's solution and it did leave streaks on the corrector no matter what I did (the humidity was below the recommended 65%). Then I resorted to my secret weapon: acetone and the corrector is now good as new."

Ironically, Tanveer, I was at the hardware store yesterday picking up a few last minute items for a roadtrip I embark on Saturday, and happened to pick up some acetone with the intent of using it to try and get the stubborn discolorations left over from past cleaning efforts off of the correctors of my C8 and C6. That's a Friday afternoon project. I was planning on applying the acetone with a sterile cotton swab.

Regards,

Jim

REC
Post Laureate

#6052943 - 08/29/13 04:44 PM

What is the roland saliva method?

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6052960 - 08/29/13 04:54 PM

The front corrector is a pretty tough beast, never managed to damage any coating yet either.

Small difficult spots likely need a bit of a soak to loosen them, a cotten wool bud is good for this.

I think I would be right in saying the front corrector is a lumb of plate glass cast into a mold. The outer surface will be ground flatter but not the inner as that needs to remain the shape of the mold. Take that into account and cleaning it should not really be hazardous.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: sg6]
      #6052970 - 08/29/13 05:04 PM

1) Duct tape to remove the gross contamination.
2) Steel wool and turpentine for the stubborn spots.
3) Repeat as needed.
4) We want pics when you are done!

On second thought you received MUCH BETTER advice from the above posters.

On a serious note - please let us know how it turns out. Maybe some before and after pics?

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #6053007 - 08/29/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

What is the roland saliva method?

You'll find it in this doc I sent the link to earlier:

http://sdrv.ms/142mxkM

Tanveer.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#6053028 - 08/29/13 05:43 PM

Read the doc above please

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#6053449 - 08/29/13 10:17 PM

Well I was terrified of cleaning my corrector once. And I was pretty terrified of replacing the CPU fan on my computer. But I have crossed those Rubicons. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

It helps when the situation demands either a fix or tossing the equipment. Then, with nothing left to lose, you watch your youtube videos and "go bold." So when the CPU fan has come unhinged and the whole thing is down, you've got a pile of junk, so, go for it.

It's a little harder with a telescope because in the usual run of things they don't crash, they just degrade, because they're dirty.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6053648 - 08/30/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

Use the roland saliva method for the spots.

And/or acetone with a kleennex/cotton bud.

Do not get acetone on any painted parts...the paint will be disolved

It may sound gross, but saliva actually works pretty well. I used a q-tip just dabbed it on the tongue and made small, easy circles. Don't eat any Oreo cookies prior. Barring that, acetone does quite a good job. Same small circular q-tip technique.

You can't really remove the coatings, but be careful of scratches.

So, has anyone ever achieved that factory clean?

REC
Post Laureate

#6054001 - 08/30/13 08:46 AM

Well ok then, I'll try this on those stubborn spots left over after my cleaning most of the stuff of the corrector.

Thanks for the tip:)

Bob

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
      #6054512 - 08/30/13 02:11 PM

Here in west TX, there is so much airborne dust that I have to clean my corrector plate after every single session- and sometimes during the middle of a session! My preferred method is completely "dry." I put a hair drier (NO heat!) on the plate to encourage the dust to go airborne, and I very carefully brush the dust to loosen it with a lens-cleaning cloth. This method avoids the use of solvents, which are a last resort. Using something wet like isopropyl alcohol can leach out material from the dust/pollen/crud, leaving surface stains that will be really difficult to remove.

StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6054876 - 08/30/13 06:21 PM

Distilled water and a few drops of liquid dish soap (not the kind for the dishwasher, but for the sink). My corrector hadn't been cleaned since I got it in 2001 and it started to look like someone puked on it! Put some of this solution in a spray bottle and liberally sprayed the corrector down, with the scope pointing down to keep water from seeping into the tube. Let sit for a few minutes but not too long as you don't want the water to start drying. Washed with distilled water. A few iterations of this along with using cotton swabs and balls for the more persistent clots and the lens looks almost as good as new!

GageCook

Reged: 08/21/13

Loc: Gallatin, TN
      #6055163 - 08/30/13 09:49 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

I just spent a good 3 1/2 hours cleaning my C14 corrector. It's pretty darn close to factory I must say. I had a nice, hazy film over it from dew and dust. I also had a nice even coat of pollen. Pretty tough stuff to get off. I used filtered water and alcohol 50/50. I also used a high quality microfiber cloth (not the one that comes with it, this one is almost silky) to get almost every streak out. A LOT of elbow grease and a bright, focusable LED flashlight. I used a bandage gauze instead of a cotton ball... really because we had no cotton balls but I think the gauze leaves less fuzzies. You want to barely dip the tip of a wad of gauze in the alcohol/water and then ball the rest up around it to kind of distribute the mixture. Then, (I started at 12 o'clock on the corrector and worked counter clockwise only to later find out it would've been better to go clockwise) use the damp gauze to wipe down (from center outwards like bicycle spokes) to wipe away the pollen. Only go about an hours worth over (if the corrector plate were a clock). You will be able to feel when the pollen is gone because the strokes will become smooth and less "frictiony". Set the gauze aside and let the damp spot dry for say... 10-15 seconds. (The plate will be ugly in that spot... DONT. PANIC.) Fold the microfiber cloth in half. While holding the flashlight in one hand, use your finger (other hand) to wipe away the drying mixture from the center outwards (don't start wiping too soon or your cloth will become saturated) You will have to go over it MANY times to see the streaks gradually disappear. Use your flashlight at different angles to really highlight the streaks. Repeat until you get all the way around the corrector. Afterwards, go around the edges to get the hard to reach stuff. Just keep at it and take breaks when you need to.

GageCook

#6055166 - 08/30/13 09:51 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

After pic

GageCook

Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector [Re: GageCook]
      #6055173 - 08/30/13 09:54 PM

My scope kind of looks like Hubble deep field.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1676

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics