Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
GageCook

Reged: 08/21/13

Loc: Gallatin, TN
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: GageCook]
      #6055189 - 08/30/13 10:04 PM

I forgot to add... when using the microfiber cloth, I put about as much pressure on it as I would itching my eye. If that helps. Getting pollen off is a bit trickier than getting simple dust off. Afterwards, I used canned air from a safe distance (about 2 feet)to blow off what accumulated at the bottom of the scope. To take it a step further, I used a laser pointer to scan over sections of the corrector. If the red dot gets brighter, there is a smudge in that area.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: GageCook]
      #6055659 - 08/31/13 08:49 AM

I'd say that is must be cloudy EVERYWHERE!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: HowardK]
      #6055693 - 08/31/13 09:19 AM

I didn't read every post here but I use to detail out corporate jets where residue on glass was a flat out no-no. I developed a perfectly clean glass cleaning method used on all glass surfaces including the cockpit dials and heads up display...

I use alcohol with mere and I mean TINY drop of dawn in the entire solution. Next I cut it with 30% water. The water is only there to allow the solution to last long enough to float away dirt. Straight alcohol is too evaporative. I should mention I choose this solution over Windex and the commercial produces that come through the airport because it proved to have the least residue.

And residue: I've found it's either finger oils or soap or both together . My custom solution has its own but its less objectionable.

Now the cleaning method. When I cleaned the inside of jets I shut down all power. With the exception of the cockpit it was blacked out and the galley and John was a cave.

Next - out comes the mag light. Not only did it isolate the blemishes needi g attention it was ruthlessly clear wether or not I was successful in cleaning. This was a degree of cleaning that no charter customer/owner would ever notice but it was easy enough to do and it got me less flak than the other detailers. My secret was soon discovered but more in that in a second.

What became evident no matter how effective the solution was that you couldn't just chemical clean it away - you still had residue - far less than Windex but residue. It became imperative to go one step further to assure immaculate results.

Dry buff. I'd get a soft cottony cloth - certainly clean - and buff the haze and residue out of existence. I do the same for my telescope optics and oculars. In so e cases ill fog the glass with breath then buff. The results are immaculate.

But my secret got out...

The management caught me with the mag light in a dark plane wondering why I'd clean in the dark with a light when we had the juice hooked up to the bus. Well they figured out my technique and they loved it. And what do you do to a fella that's invented the best way to clean the glass on a 50 million dollar jet? You higher an appliance store clerk as your new boss to
chase after you with mag light in hand shutting down the power on all the jets and then critting you on it - even though it was a level if clean they could never detect in regular lighting.

I drove off and never returned.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (08/31/13 09:20 AM)

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Terrified of Cleaning Corrector new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6059492 - 09/02/13 03:20 PM

I'm not saying that you should have a cavalier attitude about cleaning expensive optics but I make my living as a photographer for a daily newspaper and I have cleaned, with anything I could, dew, fog, whatever off a $6,000 Nikkor 300 f/2.8 many times while shooting high school football in the sweltering Florida summer heat and I have never damaged the coatings. Optical coatings are pretty tough. Just don't obsess with making them factory clean. Ain't gona happen ,as another poster said, Get stuff off that can damage the coatings and live with some residue from the cleaning process and be happy. And never look at the optics on anything with a flashlight!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1680

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics