Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starhuckster

Reged: 09/09/10

Loc: Boston, MA
Modified 60D vs 60Da new
      #6042155 - 08/23/13 04:21 PM

I'm trying to get myself started in AP and I think DSLR is the way to go for me. I have an 80mm f/6 scope with good optics, now have a suitable mount and need to figure out the camera.

Looks like I can get a new-ish 60D body for less than half of what a 60Da costs, with mods potentially costing a few hundred more.

At the end of it all, what will I have (or not) that's different? Besides extra money.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
piaras
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: Starhuckster]
      #6042164 - 08/23/13 04:26 PM

More money in pocket and higher sensitivity to Halpha with the right mod vs 60Da.
Pierre

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #6042218 - 08/23/13 04:51 PM

Same question I had when entering this aspect of the hobby.
I bought the 60D, which was $600 cheaper at the time.

I'll just note that the 600D, (T3i) has the same sensor and (I believe) electronics as the 60D. So if you're on the fence about this and looking to pair your costs, it is another option.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #6042980 - 08/24/13 05:03 AM

60Da... is the ONLY DSLR that comes factory modded; well worth it. Read more below:

Reviews
S&T
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Shutterbug
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: mmalik]
      #6043115 - 08/24/13 07:51 AM

Quote:

60Da... is the ONLY DSLR that comes factory modded; well worth it. Read more below:

Reviews
S&T
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Shutterbug
Page1...
Page2...
Page3...
Page4...

Rather search this forum for opinions instead. The consensus is different

Jim Lafferty
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/07

Loc: Southern California
Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: terry59]
      #6043339 - 08/24/13 10:43 AM

Not sure if you can use your modded 60D for daytime photography as well--my 60Da does well both day and night.

Jim

Aln4rdsky

Reged: 11/06/10

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: Jim Lafferty]
      #6043468 - 08/24/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

Not sure if you can use your modded 60D for daytime photography as well--my 60Da does well both day and night.

Jim

Custom White Balance is all one really needs. Jerry Lodriguss has answered this question over a hundred or even thousand times so far.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6043473 - 08/24/13 12:06 PM

Quote:

A quote from Wikipedia on Scientific Opinion...

""The scientific opinion" (or scientific consensus) can be compared to "the public opinion" and generally refers to the collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities and individual scientists in the relevant field. Science may often, however, be "partial, temporally contingent, conflicting, and uncertain" so that there may be no accepted consensus for a particular situation. In other circumstances, a particular scientific opinion may be at odds with consensus."

terry59
Post Laureate

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: mmalik]
      #6043799 - 08/24/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A quote from Wikipedia on Scientific Opinion...

""The scientific opinion" (or scientific consensus) can be compared to "the public opinion" and generally refers to the collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities and individual scientists in the relevant field. Science may often, however, be "partial, temporally contingent, conflicting, and uncertain" so that there may be no accepted consensus for a particular situation. In other circumstances, a particular scientific opinion may be at odds with consensus."

Sigh

Starhuckster

Reged: 09/09/10

Loc: Boston, MA
      #6044013 - 08/24/13 05:55 PM

I feel like I opened a can of worms I hadn't intended to let loose by asking this, perhaps in the manner I did. Sorry about that.

terry59
Post Laureate

#6044150 - 08/24/13 08:00 PM

Not to worry. Some subjects can bring out strong opinions. My point was that this gets brought up often and even the guys that do the mods say a modded D is more Ha sensitive than the Da.

Hap Griffin
Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Sumter, SC
      #6045431 - 08/25/13 03:48 PM

A modified 60D has more sensitivity to HA than the 60Da and is consideralby less expensive. The T3i is a much lighter weight version with the same sensor which makes a big difference unless you have a top of the line mount and focuser than can handle the extra weight of the heavier camera. The refurbished cameras from Canon are a good deal for the bargain hunter.

Hap Griffin

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: Hap Griffin]
      #6045435 - 08/25/13 03:50 PM

Also, a modified camera can certainly be used for normal photography. If the camera is modified with a replacement UV/IR filter, then only a custom white balance is required. If it is a full-spectrum modification, an external or clip-in color correction filter such as the Astronomik OWB can be used. I use my modified 40D for normal photography all the time and have some information on custom white balances on my web site listed below.

Jim Lafferty
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da [Re: Hap Griffin]
      #6047056 - 08/26/13 02:03 PM

"Custom White Balance is all one really needs. Jerry Lodriguss has answered this question over a hundred or even thousand times so far."

Ive been on this group a bit over a month--no need for rudeness---newbies arrive and go all the time--

frankly--Ive been able to take nice pics with the 60Da without any custom white balance---everything is a trade-off. Its one of the reasons I didnt go with a modded camera--I take some casusal pics with the camera during the day--I prefer to keep it simple. Obviously, like telescopes and mounts, there is no such thing as the "perfect" camera for all uses. If there was we'd all own it

Ive heard great things about Hap's service as well.

Edited by Jim Lafferty (08/26/13 02:14 PM)

shark-bait
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/09

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
      #6047534 - 08/26/13 06:59 PM

Has anyone used the auto dark fram subtraction with either of these cameras? Does it work as well as a manual calibration?

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: shark-bait]
      #6047660 - 08/26/13 08:36 PM

Shark bait, the auto dark subtraction routine is OK, but it doesn't do flats and it doubles your exposure each frame. Personally I liked to do them when I wasn't wasting the night sky .

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: shark-bait]
      #6047972 - 08/26/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

Has anyone used the auto dark frame subtraction with either of these cameras? Does it work as well as a manual calibration?

I have used ICNR on 60Da; for me it works better than manual (OCNR) calibration. Thx

Hap Griffin

#6049046 - 08/27/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

there is no such thing as the "perfect" camera for all uses. If there was we'd all own it

Actually, I think a full-spectrum modified DSLR comes about as close as one can get. With a set of clip-in filters the camera can be used for three purposes...daylight, astro and IR. And it does a superb job at all three because the removal of the front low-pass filter in the FS modification results in increased resolution over a stock camera. I have found that I prefer my full-spectrum modified Canon 40D with an Astronomik OWB (Original White Balance) clip-in filter to several stock Canon DSLR's that I have for normal photography. With a lens mounted 720nm IR filter, it makes a great IR camera, and with an Astronomik UV/IR filter, it makes a dandy astronomical camera. I use a CCD for prime focus work, but recently got an IOptron Sky Tracker for wide field work this winter and will use this camera for that.

Jim Lafferty
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Modified 60D vs 60Da new [Re: Hap Griffin]
      #6049256 - 08/27/13 04:42 PM

Well Hap, you are one of the experts---:)
I love my skytracker as well, its a winner. I used to do prime focus ccd before I did solar, and just recently got into DSLR widefield with lenses to have something to do at night. I like it--much simpler for me than dealing with all night imaging/guiding sessions

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #6049312 - 08/27/13 05:14 PM

One additional piece of information that I'd add here, which is in favor of the 60Da, is that you will have a full factory warranty. Assuming you are lucky, this difference will mean nothing to you, but I have already used mine as 4 months after purchased my 60Da stopped powering up. Two weeks later I received a repaired 60Da from Canon at no cost. If I had a 60D that had been modified I would have been out my full investment.

If you leave aside this issue, buying a 60D and getting it modified is a much better deal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1043

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics