Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Aquatone
sage

Reged: 03/23/06

Loc: Moraga, CA (Bay Area)
Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new
      #6045020 - 08/25/13 11:30 AM

What image capture software is there now available that runs on OS X or anything except Windows?

I have used Equinox but what other alternatives are there?

Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: Aquatone]
      #6045130 - 08/25/13 12:51 PM

The sky with camera add on should work on apple.

kind regards,

Aquatone
sage

Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: Wouter D'hoye]
      #6045273 - 08/25/13 02:14 PM

Thanks - yes I looked at the Sky, (and have an older copy) but was really wondering if there are other non-Windows image capture applications only, as I use Sky Safari as my planetarium application.

The astrophotography software market at times feels like it is still back in the year 2000 (Windows everything etc) The world is moving on.

Chris

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #6045312 - 08/25/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

The astrophotography software market at times feels like it is still back in the year 2000 (Windows everything etc) The world is moving on.

I disagree, it's is active as the market which is very tiny, and there is sufficient out there to get the job done if you don't limit yourself. It is your requirement that is limiting you - don't blame the industry, maybe consider it an opportunity to write the necessary code?

finderman2

Reged: 06/09/12

Loc: NW Connecticut
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #6045800 - 08/25/13 07:34 PM

@CounterWeight
I think what Aquatone is trying to say (and I feel this myself) is that despite the fact that astronomy software is being released and updated, the interfaces and platform distribution are very skewed towards Windows, which is fine, a lot of people use and like windows, but with Apple market share at more than 11% (just for computers) and growing, I think its time that software makers start taking notice, especially with more and more astronomers using iPhones and iPads out in the field with all sorts of apps from sky charts to supernova alerts. And to top it all off most computers used in science in general have almost always been Unix or Linux based, even at VLT which I visited a few month ago, I saw tonnes of iMacs and Apple laptops around. Things have changed since 2000, and unfortunately not everyone has the will or the want to write their own code, I happen to be a developer already, but its not for everybody. And lambasting someone because that want an opinion on software options is not very welcoming, some people drive a Honda Civic, some a BMW, we shouldn't just declare that only Hondas can use the gas stations because they are in the majority, just because someone wants to use a Mac doesn’t mean that we should say, stop cramping everyones style and just use Windows 7, there are options for everyone. But thats my 2 cents.

In response to Aquatone, I use a Mac also and have become a fan of PHD (for guiding) and Nebulosity both by Stark Labs (they also have windows versions) and Nebulosity is very cheap at $80 for all that it offers, you can grab a 30 day free trial on their website and see if it works for you, the cheapest option is to use the canon capture utility if you have a DSLR, as for a CCD there are some programs besides Nebulosity but they are more specific to each camera so you would have to search for one that would work for you.

Here is a great website which has a lengthy list of mac astronomy software
http://www.primordial-light.com/macastronomer.html
Even a quick google search brings up a whole bunch of websites:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#fp=4242ab39c659d856&hl=en&am...

tclehman1969
sage

Reged: 05/18/10

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: finderman2]
      #6046305 - 08/26/13 01:24 AM

Ahh...it is refreshing to see there are more Mac users in the amateur astronomy field! I, too am a Mac user, and have noticed a bias toward the Windows side of things.

So, you use nebulosity on your Mac? How do you like it? I downloaded the trial, but it didn't seem very user friendly to me.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: tclehman1969]
      #6046467 - 08/26/13 07:03 AM

Finderman2 I've no interest whatsoever to get into one of these ridiculous apple vs. windows vs. whatever else discussions here, better in the computer software part of the forums here. But that is entirely missing the mark on what I posted. Go into the yahoo groups on any of the available software and it's quite active and I believe they are some talented folks that are indeed 'modern' trying to write software for us and doing what they can within what makes sense for them. In any area it applies there are tools for the job, if you choose for some reason not to use them it's silly to make accusations that they are at fault. Even more silly when most if not all support lions share of products promptly after they come out. My CCD came out in about 2010 and support was immediate with the software I use.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6046525 - 08/26/13 08:09 AM

I tested Linux on my laptop a few months ago. I found some really nice CCD software for it. It worked really well. I can't recall the name of it offhand but I know there were lots of free options out there for Linux.

obin

astrodog73

Reged: 02/22/13

Loc: Australia
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6046544 - 08/26/13 08:41 AM

Nebulosity works well, I found it user-friendly enough for image capture, I just use it now for image processing.

I'm a certified mac-head, but use Windows in the observatory

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: astrodog73]
      #6046909 - 08/26/13 12:23 PM

11% may be too small of an amount for a company to invest the CAPEX dollars into. We are talking about a niche field and they aren't selling millions of copies like Microsoft, or Adobe, or any other major software player. I don't know if you guys realize just how much cost can be involved in professional software development.

The good, senior level developers and architects are not cheap - they command $125-250 an hour depending on expertise and experience. You could be putting in 6 and 7 figures easily on procuring ONE Sr. developer for a software application that has to be tested and stable with many different hardware and software configurations, and the relative peripherals such as CCD, CMOS, and DSLR cameras.For a big name to market it, they tend to need it to be quite universal and stable or it will cost them more in the end in pain and money. Then there are post-sale OPEX support expenses that come with it. You have to provide some sort of tech support layer, capable of escalating to a developer level as needed for bugs and workarounds. Those support people cost money. If your volume is around say 10,000 licenses sold (just an arbitrary value) and it takes say 2000-4000 (1-2 people for roughly a year) developer hours to fine tune and QA a working application for this purpose, your profit margin may not exist.

This is actually what I do for a living by the way and have for years - I operate and manage teams of software developers and principle architects, DBAs, etc. for communications and media companies. It's always a balancing act to justify the Capital and time on development requests, even at an enterprise level. It's hard to make a profitable or efficient business case for an 11% user-base and this is why you'll find so many astrophotography applications are developed by enthusiasts instead. This is also a contributing factor to the reason why Mac gear is not cheap. And no offense, but Celestron, Orion, and Meade, nor any of the camera manufacturers are in it just for the fun of it.

Sorry Mac users, but you're expecting something to work that isn't mainstream supported in the astronomy community yet. You can either wait, build something yourself, switch to a PC with windows or Linux, or fund a company. I don't mean to sound rude or harsh, but statistically most of the world operates on Windows on a personal and professional level. Not my first choice either, but it is what it is. My teams and I, for example, build a lot of hosted solutions that reside on Solaris environments for stability, but the client/user side is tailored to operate mostly on Windows because that is what the vast majority of people run.

It is unfortunate because Mac hardware is quite good these days. But it's just like astrophotography in general, there's simply not that many of us out there to warrant any special treatment.

Good luck.

hytham
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/25/12

Loc: Canadian in the US
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #6046945 - 08/26/13 12:38 PM

Finderman2,

What you have neglected to mention in your 11% citation is what is the actual percentage of users within that 11% are in fact into astrophotography. Your 11% is significantly smaller - my bet is far less than 1%.

To back up DaemonGPF's statements I'm one of those architects that is called upon for high end projects and there better be one heck of an ROI before I'm tasked with it - this is set forth by the organization - or they won't waste my time or their money with it.

tclehman1969
sage

Reged: 05/18/10

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) *DELETED* new [Re: hytham]
      #6047055 - 08/26/13 02:01 PM

Post deleted by tclehman1969

hytham
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/25/12

Loc: Canadian in the US
Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) [Re: tclehman1969]
      #6047077 - 08/26/13 02:17 PM

A picture of 3 Macs that are not performing the function we're discussing in an isolated setting.

That's enough proof for me.

Jeff2011
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #6047089 - 08/26/13 02:20 PM

It would be interesting to get a sample set of Cloudy Nights members. Perhaps a mod can setup a poll to see who prefers Windows, OS X, or Linux. Not that it would settle anything, but would just be interesting to know.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: hytham]
      #6047113 - 08/26/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

A picture of 3 Macs that are not performing the function we're discussing in an isolated setting.

That's enough proof for me.

Exactly. If an argument is going to be made, at least make it using an (no pun intended here) apples to apples comparison. Three Mac notebooks used by a few guys at NASA who just docked in at a conference table is hardly evidence of anything. Lots of people in my company use Mac books to read their email and use web browser based tools. None of the production or customer-facing systems they work on or support are Mac based. So what does that prove? Not much. But since that is the route for debate that was chosen - have you,tclehman1969, looked into the NASA workstation consoles that actually manage their operations, monitor probes, deal with communications, handle incident and problem management aspects? They ARE NOT apple products.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying anything negative about Apple products. My wife uses them, and so does her company, extensively. My one and only point above is that there is a small yield of compatible products for astrophotography that run on apple products because both are still niche and it's very hard to justify major software development on the scale you guys are looking for when things are niche.

SergeC
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/23/12

Loc: Gainesville, FL
      #6047116 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM

My Father-In-Law was on the team that wrote Curiosity's code (and was making changes to it almost until entry into Mars' atmosphere). There wasn't a single line of it using any consumer-grade OS. None of them would be anywhere close to sufficiently robust.

Aquatone
sage

Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: hytham]
      #6047117 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM

Thank you for the responses so far. It appears that the only commercially available non-Windows camera capture solutions I can locate are:

- The Sky / Camera add on
- Equinox (For SBIG cameras only)
- Nebulosity

I posted to see if anybody knew of any other camera capture application on OS X since I last looked. I do not know of any solutions on Linux.

I already have a Windows based image capture and processing pipeline and am certainly not "limiting" myself. However I am experimenting with other pipelines where I can do things with tools that are not compiled on Windows and the future of high fidelity image manipulation (which astrophotography is) is not going to be just Windows/PC based. (I work in 2D/3D feature film software development and have managed many of the key applications)

I feel a little awkward that my question should have prompted some of the responses here. I am quite aware these are smaller opportunities compared to Windows, though Mac's have traditionally been more heavily represented in the professional graphics niche.

Chris

SergeC
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/23/12

Loc: Gainesville, FL
      #6047127 - 08/26/13 02:41 PM

Capture and processing are 2 entirely different - and unrelated - endeavors. I prefer working with Photoshop on a Mac, but I capture with a Win laptop.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Capture Software (Anything but Windows) new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #6047128 - 08/26/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

It would be interesting to get a sample set of Cloudy Nights members. Perhaps a mod can setup a poll to see who prefers Windows, OS X, or Linux. Not that it would settle anything, but would just be interesting to know.

That's great and all, but preferences vs. the reality of the world's software/hardware market may not line up with a poll in a small environment such as CN where the user-base is polarized around a certain interest. "Birds of a feather..." and all that. Yes, CN is remarkably small sampling in the scheme of things like this issue in particular.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#6047134 - 08/26/13 02:45 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the responses so far. It appears that the only commercially available non-Windows camera capture solutions I can locate are:

- The Sky / Camera add on
- Equinox (For SBIG cameras only)
- Nebulosity

I posted to see if anybody knew of any other camera capture application on OS X since I last looked. I do not know of any solutions on Linux.

I already have a Windows based image capture and processing pipeline and am certainly not "limiting" myself. However I am experimenting with other pipelines where I can do things with tools that are not compiled on Windows and the future of high fidelity image manipulation (which astrophotography is) is not going to be just Windows/PC based. (I work in 2D/3D feature film software development and have managed many of the key applications)

I feel a little awkward that my question should have prompted some of the responses here. I am quite aware these are smaller opportunities compared to Windows, though Mac's have traditionally been more heavily represented in the professional graphics niche.

Chris

You'll find this issue is very similar to others that you can find on this form where people are polarized. Meade vs. Celestron, Ford vs. Chevy. Just one of those things that will always spark a debate. I don't think most of the comments were aimed towards you directly, more towards others.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 542

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics