Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new
      #6046315 - 08/26/13 01:35 AM

I have always relied on Sky & Telescope to let me know what Jupiter's GRS and moons are doing. I just went to their web site and found they haven't updated the data. I guess with Jupiter being behind the Sun there is no reason to update the data but now Jupiter is showing up in the morning sky. I want to know which mornings are worth getting up early for.

This is the place I start looking for the data. From there I can usually find the table of moon phenomena and GRS transits but all I find are this and this which are only valid for times in the past.

Does anyone know when they might update? I have my magazine and it has the GRS times but the moon times are missing for August. They have the pretty wavy lines picture but that is not as accurate as a table of times.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #6046327 - 08/26/13 01:59 AM

You must not have read the September issue then. If you have one, look at pages 52 & 53.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6046336 - 08/26/13 02:12 AM

I noticed in the August issue that they explain why they didn't give the table for August (most of the events can't be seen by anybody) and I see that the table is in the September issue, so yes, this is a good sign. This means they are still making the tables but they are not yet on their web site. I like to take a printout with me when I go observing. I don't want to have to tear out pages of my magazine.

I suspect they will be updating their website soon. I have never been this early in wanting to see Jupiter. I usually wait until a month or two before opposition (in other words I don't set the alarm clock).

I'm just wondering if anyone remembers when they came out with the data last time Jupiter came into the early morning sky.

Or maybe they just forgot and will update it after reading this.

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
      #6046359 - 08/26/13 03:06 AM

If you have a subscription, you should also get the digital version. If so, you could print out the chart from that.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6046456 - 08/26/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

I have always relied on Sky & Telescope to let me know what Jupiter's GRS and moons are doing. I just went to their web site and found they haven't updated the data.

Whoops! Yet another thing that slipped on my to-do list. Jupiter season snuck up on me.

You can always use the JavaScript utility for the moon positions; it stays good forever. But I probably ought to update the GRS longitude for the GRS utility. It's being moving along at a good clip recently.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6046931 - 08/26/13 12:33 PM

Yes September issue and I reckon until Jupiter goes back behind the sun or the Sun in front of Jupiter.

Say Tony,

Are you the author for the phenomena of Jupiter in the magazine or are you the main digital guy? The Jupiter data is spot on.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6046950 - 08/26/13 12:44 PM

Thanks guys. I can now relax knowing the data will still be available. I like having six months or more in one printout. I also like the wavy line plot in the magazine to know where the slow moving moons are going to be. Astronomy magazine now has one but it is upside down and that drives me nuts. I guess if I grew up in Australia I might be different.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #6046996 - 08/26/13 01:18 PM

Say W.W.G.,

Astronomy's Star Dome found online displays Jupiter's and Saturn's moons down to the minute. The orientation is correct-East to the left and North at the top.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? new [Re: Kraus]
      #6047065 - 08/26/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Are you the author for the phenomena of Jupiter in the magazine or are you the main digital guy? The Jupiter data is spot on.

Alan MacRobert writes the text for the magazine. The tables of satellite phenomena come from the Paris Observatory -- and are credited as such -- adjusted for the latest value of Delta-T. The online Jupiter-satellite utility was written by Ade Ashford, as was the online GRS utility. I tweak the value of the GRS longitude according to recent observations.

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: When does S&T do Jupiter charts? [Re: Kraus]
      #6047078 - 08/26/13 02:17 PM

Jupiter2's also a nice Windows App for the GRS & Gallilean moons. You need to manually set the location of the GRS from the "Absolute position on Jupiter" link to Jupos.org at the bottom of the page. GRS is currently around Lon 195

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 280

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics