Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Paramount MX on its way (photos added)
      #6047545 - 08/26/13 07:14 PM

I've been waiting (not so patiently) to receive the Paramount MX that I ordered through Astronomics back in June. It's finally on the UPS truck direct from Bisque. I will now play tag with the UPS guy for the rest of the week until he finally just throws it up on the lawn without a signature, or perhaps leaves it with a neighbor without telling me. That's what happened previously with my CGEM and C11 Edge courtesy of UPS and Fedex, anyway.

I was hoping to actually get it during a part of the lunar cycle where imaging is not so great so I could start up the long and steep learning curve in the light-polluted back yard without wasting valuable imaging time. However, I'm just glad it's on the way at this point. 2 months is not such a bad wait when you consider what I could have suffered on some of the other waiting lists out there. Will post pictures once I have it assembled, but before I break it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darbyvet
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6047563 - 08/26/13 07:23 PM

you are going to love it!! Now they have the all sky imaging worked out it is easy to set up.Just attach your imaging camera and take a picture doesnt matter where the scope is pointing.Do an image link at the software will plate solve the image.Synch on that image.Do an automated calibration run of 50 points and watch the scope wizz around on its own finding the 50 targets and plate solving the images.At this point the software will tell you how to adjust the mount to polar ailgn-it even tells you how mant turns on the adjustment knobs to use.Repeat the automated calibatration run with 100-200 tragets and have the software build a supermodel and you will likely have less than 20 arcsec pointing accuracy and be abvle to take severla minute unguided exposures with no guiding.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: darbyvet]
      #6047605 - 08/26/13 07:58 PM

Lucky lucky man! I think anytime spent with astronomy gear is time well spent!

HAVE FUN!

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: WesC]
      #6047885 - 08/26/13 10:46 PM

I'm envious. Looking forward to pictures of your new setup. Congratulations!!

David

jarin
sage

Reged: 10/03/09

Loc: Northern VA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6047934 - 08/26/13 11:15 PM

Awesome! You'll love it. I've had mine for about 15 months, and I've taken about 1750 subs so far (15 mins normally). With *1* bad one. 1, yep. And I probably caused that one. It's flawless, and makes great noises (Paramount's make the coolest electronic noises)!

Mine matched with the Rob Miller Tri36M tripod:

http://www.silvren.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/two1.jpg

Jeff

Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: jarin]
      #6047968 - 08/26/13 11:31 PM

Congratulations! Don't forget some unboxing pictures

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: jarin]
      #6047971 - 08/26/13 11:33 PM

As Darbyvet mentioned, they just got the AllSky worked out but clouds are killing me. You'll love the mount but TSX Pro is a lot to take on all at once. If the USB cable seems like it will fall out at any minute, you can bend it under the alignment knob. Good luck.

Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6048089 - 08/27/13 01:33 AM

Congrats. I'm sure you'll love yours as much as anybody else loves his. It's a great piece of kit and an investment you'll enjoy for many years to come.

Enjoy your new mount.

Wouter.

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Wouter D'hoye]
      #6048444 - 08/27/13 09:25 AM

Congrats! on a Beautiful mount, be sure and post pics after it arrives.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Dave M]
      #6049018 - 08/27/13 02:52 PM

The automated polar alignment with plate-solving has me giddy just thinking about it. I'm like a 4 year old who had too much sugar! Have to get up early tomorrow so I can follow the UPS truck around town until they get the idea and fork it over.

The strange thing is that the usual "new equipment curse" is nowhere in sight. That is, our weather forecast is looking extremely good for 4-5 days. I suppose that means the delivery will be delayed by 4-5 days!

coz
sage

Reged: 08/25/10

Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6049019 - 08/27/13 02:54 PM

Congrats

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: coz]
      #6049062 - 08/27/13 03:11 PM

When you receive the mount I recommend not using the software CD in the box. Having been produced in large quantity it will likely contain oldish software. I recommend instead downloading and installing the latest full installer, update installer, latest daily build installer and all-sky image link file directly from the www.bisque.com website. In order to get access to the installer downloads you'll first need to create a username on the site and register your mount and software serial numbers to that username. Feel free to post lots and lots of questions as needed to the Bisque support forum on their website. Tom Bisque is back. His detailed and informative posts are always fun to read.

Be aware that severe handing in shipping can possibly knock mount adjustments out of whack. Please be mindful of this during the first week or so of mount operation.

Wembley2000
sage

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: frolinmod]
      #6049517 - 08/27/13 07:38 PM

If you have a place where you can have the UPS guy leave it pretty securely you can sign up on UPS.com for ups mychoice, I think that is what it is called, and you can have them leave signature required items without a signature. I did that with my Mach One, but I live in the country and my porch hides any packages that they drop off.

BTW, congrats!

Wem

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6049523 - 08/27/13 07:42 PM

Quote:

you are going to love it!! Now they have the all sky imaging worked out it is easy to set up.Just attach your imaging camera and take a picture doesnt matter where the scope is pointing.Do an image link at the software will plate solve the image.Synch on that image.Do an automated calibration run of 50 points and watch the scope wizz around on its own finding the 50 targets and plate solving the images.At this point the software will tell you how to adjust the mount to polar ailgn-it even tells you how mant turns on the adjustment knobs to use.Repeat the automated calibatration run with 100-200 tragets and have the software build a supermodel and you will likely have less than 20 arcsec pointing accuracy and be abvle to take severla minute unguided exposures with no guiding.

How long does that take from first star sighting to creating the model, the polar alignment, etc., to starting an AP run?

Thanks,

Paul

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: psandelle]
      #6049560 - 08/27/13 08:04 PM

If you have a permanent setup, you'll spend the whole first night getting your alignment points, polar, and PEC. After that, it's very quick. If you are portable, maybe an hour and a half.

jarin
sage

Reged: 10/03/09

Loc: Northern VA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6049629 - 08/27/13 08:36 PM

I'm 100% portable, and from the time I first Home the mount to imaging is about 20-30 minutes, not an hour and a half. I end up with a 20-point model and both axes showing Excellent polar alignment. Perfectly good for 6 hours straight of 15 min guided subs. I don't use PEC in the field. Once you get a routine down it's like 2nd nature. If I was pier-mounted, I'd spend all night with a 750 point model, SuperModel and PEC. :-)

Jeff

darbyvet
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
      #6049861 - 08/27/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How long does that take from first star sighting to creating the model, the polar alignment, etc., to starting an AP run?

Thanks,

Paul

I do a 5 second exposure, 5 second dark frame and then it takes about 10 secs to plate solve and another 5-10 seconds to find the next target.

the supermodel takes about 30 sec to 2 minutes to build depending on the speed of your PC.

Matt Houston

Reged: 02/08/13

Loc: Florida
      #6050852 - 08/28/13 02:42 PM

I ordered mine back in March and got it last week. Stunning quality. Waaaay nicer quality compared to my old CGE Pro. The MX mount is easy to carry and I don't have to break down the mount like I had to do with the CGE Pro. You'll love it!

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Matt Houston]
      #6051111 - 08/28/13 05:25 PM

Thanks for the responses on how long it takes to get going. Still trying to figure out what my ultimate mobile mount will be, and with my limited days out at the darksite, every minute helps.

Paul

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
      #6051189 - 08/28/13 06:11 PM

Do any of you guys guide with OAG and use PHD?
Could somebody please post PHD graph with OAG and PMX?

I'm deciding between Paramount MX and 10Micron GM1000HPS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1730

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics