Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6051130 - 08/28/13 05:40 PM

Curious about all "The Planets" by Gustav Holst. jrbarnett noted two of them in his Cosmos listing. Question: Did Holst use Kepler's "music of the spheres" as a basis for "The Planets"?

My music is coyotes yipping and deer stampeding through the sagebrush.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Seldom]
      #6051150 - 08/28/13 05:48 PM

The pieces were written by Holst in the early 1900s. The embodiment of each work is intended to be the astrological rather than astronomical character each planet. In Greco-Roman astrology, which derives from Babylonian astrology, each planet was believed to exert a particular kind of emotional influence on the psyche of a person "influenced" by that planet.

Holst was a little bit of a nut, really. I doubt he even knew who Kepler was. But he did like to party (he was turned on to astrology on holiday in Majorca, a somewhat avante garde, bohemian, hedonistic destination in his day).

Nice music though, no matter what was going on in his head.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (08/28/13 11:23 PM)

MDB

Reged: 06/06/12

Loc: Idaho
      #6051156 - 08/28/13 05:51 PM

Quiet and darkness go hand in hand for me. It makes me sad to think there are millions of the world's population who will know neither. While I enjoy music indoors, outdoors quiet adds peace to the equation. Others obviously disagree.

Mike

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: MDB]
      #6051532 - 08/28/13 09:28 PM

Thanks, Jim. Like the new sig.

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Seldom]
      #6051649 - 08/28/13 10:56 PM

I don't because it would scare everyone away. I'm 61 and listen to everything from obscure psychedelic to death metal. I can only take so much New Age. Though I grew up on classic rock, a lot of those bands, especially some of the ones mentioned so far, make me want to chew glass. So, I enjoy the night sounds and usually the conversations as long as the subjects are neither religion or politics... or astrophotography!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6051973 - 08/29/13 06:18 AM

Quote:

These are the sounds that tell the story of travel to the stars. We are the only species on the planet that has the apparent potential to pull this off. Our sounds, therefore, are the sounds of space.

Totally appropriate for sitting indoors watching a computer monitor while your remote telescope images the sky. Not for being outside looking through an eyepiece.

If you're going to do techno, go all the way! Leave visual observing behind; the eye is a terribly inferior sensor.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: MDB]
      #6051996 - 08/29/13 06:56 AM

Quote:

Quiet and darkness go hand in hand for me. It makes me sad to think there are millions of the world's population who will know neither. While I enjoy music indoors, outdoors quiet adds peace to the equation. Others obviously disagree.

Mike

Mike:

There is a silence in the darkness of the sky. Peering through the eyepiece, it can be a inward, meditative/aesthetic experience far removed from the intellectual processes of operating a telescope and observing.

For me, there is very little music that does not intrude into that meditative/aesthetic space... but there is some... the music of the Japanese Bamboo flute, the Shakuhachi, originally the meditative music of the Zen monasteries.

Shakuhachi: Kyorei

On a night in the mountains, me outside enjoying the night sky and my beloved wife, in the motor home, with her Shakuhachi, the music joining the silence.

Sometimes.. like David, I need some company, something to keep me awake... that's when I turn on the radio... a summer night with a ball game, a telescope, and the night sky... that is another kind of wonderful.

Jon

Rick M.

Reged: 03/16/13

Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6052003 - 08/29/13 07:04 AM

It's just me and the tree frogs. If I did listen to music at the eyepiece it would be the album You're Not Alone by Roy Buchanan.

Rick

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Rick M.]
      #6052099 - 08/29/13 08:49 AM

I love music . . . . but my music!
I can't imagine experiencing the night sky listening to someone else's music. I would have to leave!

That said. I never listen to music, not even my own, when out at the telescope. On the few nights in spring/early summer when the frogs are singing, that is great. Very rarely I hear a barred owl. Mostly all I hear is the soft drone of heavy truck tires from the highway about a half mile away, broken by cacaphony when the drivers allow a wheel to drift onto the rumble strips. Or the muted barking of a distant dog.

Under the stars, for me, silence please. Man-made sounds are not welcome.

Never been to a star party. I have observed at Chiefland a few times, including one time on a clear weekend when the field was pretty crowded. I had no problems. People were pretty quiet but I had self-isolated myself in a far corner of the field as I was absolutely paranoid about bothering others with my lap top glare. It was interesting to see all the gear but, in general, I prefer quiet and solitude when under the stars.

If I were to listen to music while under the stars, Enya's "Paint The Sky With Stars" would be my first choice. Vaughan William's Symphony No. 7, "Sinfonia Antarctica" would be appropriate too.

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6052111 - 08/29/13 09:00 AM

Crickets, frogs, the wind, coyotes off in the distance, once the howl of a timber wolf, and often rustling noises in the nearby underbrush which I always hope isn't a curious skunk. I've been twice lucky now with curious skunks.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: John_G]
      #6052132 - 08/29/13 09:15 AM

I don't listen to music for the simple reason that I can't manage to listen to music and focus on observing at the same time. If you're fully engaged in either, how are you engaged in the other? If you're not fully engaged in one, why do you need it there?

Of course, this is clearly an issue where personal taste is the winner.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #6052448 - 08/29/13 12:21 PM

Quote:

For me,I would listen to Hearts in Space,Jon Serrie,Coast to Coast, or just Nature sounds. It's my time,my nickle,my Selection.. As long as I don't bother anybody with loud stuff,I rock my world since life is short...

I'm a long time listener of Hearts of Space. I just got the iPhone app it makes listening to the program streams easier while on the go. Now I may start using it when imaging. My own music has been featured on HOS 3 times now, just had to throw that plug out there

MarcF650R
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: JoeR]
      #6052866 - 08/29/13 04:00 PM

While in the country, I don't listen to music. City observing I might bring my iPod with me and listen to Jonn Serrie...maybe a tad new agey for some, but very relaxing and great for the stars

http://www.thousandstar.com/index2.html

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6052967 - 08/29/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

These are the sounds that tell the story of travel to the stars. We are the only species on the planet that has the apparent potential to pull this off. Our sounds, therefore, are the sounds of space.

The Earth is our home and will always will be where humanity lives, "space programs", as well as Star Trek and similar excursions into fantasy notwithstanding. Such works seem to me to have little or nothing to do with space travel; although one is, of course, free to assign that label to them as one sees fit.

Fred

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #6054239 - 08/30/13 11:32 AM

Our dark site has posted a warning that rattlesnakes have been sighted...so, no outside noises here....

Moondoggy
sage

Reged: 03/17/08

Loc: Jack Daniels Country
      #6054689 - 08/30/13 04:09 PM

I wish I could find a nice music beat that would remove those pesky "Sceeters' buzzing and eating me up. Maybe I should find that Old song from my past, "Another One Bites the Dust" !
Bill

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #6054913 - 08/30/13 06:44 PM

I hum.

sparkyht

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: 43N 89W
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Kraus]
      #6055474 - 08/31/13 03:15 AM

Sometimes it's crickets, coyotes, and frogs. Other times is Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, and Isao Tomita.

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: sparkyht]
      #6056949 - 09/01/13 12:43 AM

I managed to get up to my folk's cattle ranch last night for some observing. I did listen to a little music for a while, but most of the night by far was just me and whatever music mother nature gave me. But if I do listen to music (only when I'm observing alone) this is what I listen to....

Carry On -- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Embryonic Journey -- Jefferson Airplane
Sighs In A Shell -- Jimmie Spheeris
Sunken Skies -- Jimmie Spheeris
Gallows Pole -- Led Zeppelin
That's The Way -- Led Zeppelin
Traction In The Rain -- David Crosby
Triad -- The Byrds
Your Saving Grace -- Steve Miller Band
I Love You -- Steve Miller Band
Seasons -- Steve Miller Band
Don't Let It Bring You Down -- Neil Young
Elliptical Seasons -- Starcastle
Cold Back On Me -- Wendy Waldman
Wild Bird -- Wendy Waldman
Rainy Day -- America
Donkey Jaw -- America
Three Roses -- America
Little Martha -- Allman Brothers Band
Naked In The Rain -- Crosby & Nash
Homeward Through The Haze -- Crosby & Nash
Tell Me What You Want -- Doobie Brothers
Flying Cloud -- Doobie Brothers
Bitter Creek -- The Eagles
Love Song -- Elton John
Where To Now St. Peter -- Elton John
From The Beginning -- Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Broken Rainbow -- Laura Nyro
Braun Yr Aur -- Led Zeppelin
Old Man -- Neil Young
You And Me -- Neil Young
Harvest Moon -- Neil Young
Forever My Friend -- Ray LaMontagne
Closer To You -- Stephen Stills
Do For The Others -- Stephen Stills
Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)-- Yes
Dolphin Dance -- Tangerine Dream
Pink Moon -- Nick Drake

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: mountain monk]
      #6057617 - 09/01/13 12:44 PM

I love listening to the Mannheim Steamroller station on Pandora that I created. A lot of interesting music comes up from that station.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1888

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics