Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Susanville California
CGEM-DX first impressions.
      #6048184 - 08/27/13 03:59 AM

My CGEM-DX arrived today. The boxes were huge and heavy. As I tore into the bigger of the three boxes my eyes widened when I saw how huge the tripod was. I wrestled it out of the box and placed it on the floor. I then went for the second box which held the mount and my god this thing was enormous and heavy too. I assembled everything in the middle of the living room. When I was done I was just in awe of the quality and size of this monster. Fast forward to 7:00pm I set everything up and waited until dark. I was so excited to try this out that I could hardly wait. 9:00pm rolled around and a quick bore site of Polaris and I was off with my two star alignment. Once done and calibration stars were added the polar alignment routine was up next. Tonight was going to be a great night of imaging I could feal it!!! Then my *BLEEP* of a neighbor decided to turn on his back yard flood lights. I was so looking forward to trying this out on my last day off from work and the night was ruined. I knocked on his door to poletly ask if he could turn them off.... No response..... However I could see him moving about his home through a window. I attempted to call...... no answer...... Enraged at how inconsiderate my *BLEEP* neighbor was my wife had to calm me down because I was going to rip that dam light off of his porch and shove it somewhere fitting. However I decided to call it a night and pack everything in. Once I was done the *BLEEP* turned off the light. So in closing..... The mount worked flawlessly. The little time I had with it tonight was great. If you are thinking of getting this mount do not hesitate!!!! But be warned it is very large and very heavy!!!!! Hopefully next week I will be able to give it a proper trial.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: Stargazer78]
      #6048198 - 08/27/13 04:24 AM

you should have ordered a (deleted for P/C purposes) for porch lights along with your mount , What were you using before as a mount? I am running a 9.25 on a CG-5 right now and am looking to upgrade mounts in the future. Hope to read a follow up on how it performs when conditions give you more time, Kasey

Edited by dragonslayer1 (08/27/13 10:32 PM)

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6048203 - 08/27/13 04:41 AM

Trust me I almost got it out lol. Just needed to vent. I had a cg5 as well. It was a great mount but my payload was pushing it to the limits. If you are considering the DX don't hesitate. It is a very impressive mount!!!

shark-bait
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/09

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
      #6048812 - 08/27/13 01:11 PM

I felt the same excitement when unboxing my DX. The only difference was that I was "hiding" it from my wife in the garage while assymbling it. I thought maybe she wouldn't realize the difference between it and my old mount. When I finally got it together I realized there really is no "hiding" it. I took my lumps and moved on. Afterall, It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission!

The mount is great and very attractive. Looking forward to an update.

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: shark-bait]
      #6048824 - 08/27/13 01:18 PM

Why cant they just understand these things are needed in life. I waited until mine arrived to tell her!

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6048830 - 08/27/13 01:22 PM

We must share neighbors with porch lights helping us use the telescopes LOL, throwing a little light on things for us.. I bust out laughing at shark baits post, trying to hide it,, been there /done that with UPS-FED-EX pkgs of small items delivery, but that was too much trying to slip a whole mount past the eye of a woman,,,, they notice everything LOL, great post,
Kasey

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6049146 - 08/27/13 03:56 PM

Here is a pic of the new mount.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6049184 - 08/27/13 04:13 PM

Hahaha! We both have the same stool! I thought I was the only one killing myself with that little rolling stool.

I really need to get a real observing chair.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: WesC]
      #6049358 - 08/27/13 05:48 PM

You must be my next door neighbor, because I seem to have the same *BLEEP* with the floodlights living right behind me.

Fortunately, I do all imaging out at a dark site, and the back yard is only used for testing new equipment. Thus, the floodlight does nothing of any consequence.

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #6049661 - 08/27/13 08:52 PM

Quote:

I knocked on his door to poletly ask if he could turn them off.... No response..... However I could see him moving about his home through a window. I attempted to call...... no answer.

You are a better man than I. Ignoring you was extremely rude. Now I'm a follower of Jesus, but have been known to sin, and would have. I've done it before. Why is it so hard for some folks to be considerate? Especially your neighbor.

cougarone

Reged: 07/30/10

#6050999 - 08/28/13 04:23 PM

I also unpacked mine in the garage because my better half never goes in the garage, but she did, 10 minutes after unpacking, I was busted.
I have only used it once due to clouds (and my job). Compared to my CGEM it performed well, it did not whine or struggle under the load (I was a bit overloaded, I think).

shark-bait
professor emeritus

Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: cougarone]
      #6052734 - 08/29/13 02:54 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Mine is always overloaded.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM-DX first impressions. new [Re: cougarone]
      #6052846 - 08/29/13 03:52 PM

you have a estimate on weight you were/are running? thank you, Kasey

Stargazer78
professor emeritus

#6052884 - 08/29/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Wow nice setup! What is the total weight? How does it perform for astrophotography?

shark-bait
professor emeritus

#6053023 - 08/29/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow nice setup! What is the total weight? How does it perform for astrophotography?

Thanks! Due to heavy light pollution I have never shot longer than 90 second subs, unguided with no noticeable errors. The fast scope really hates LP. With the Camera it weighs a tad over 40lbs. Unguided, I would suspect 180 second subs would be no problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 548

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics