Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
psyhiker

Reged: 02/28/13

Loc: Burbank, CA
Upgrades from meade super Plossls new
      #6048074 - 08/27/13 01:06 AM

I'm looking to upgrade from my old time meade super Plossls, 9.7 mm and 15 mm that came with my LX3 8" sct 25 years ago. They are both still pretty sharp, but the eye relief and narrow field of view is really starting to annoy me...
I want to go premium, because I finally can, but I also wouldn't reject something cheaper if is good...

I want at least one 82 degree (the widest field I have right now is an old televue 68 degree 24mm wide and my other eyepieces are a 40 mm televue Plossl and an 18 mm kellner from orion) and I'm torn and stuck. one thought I had was between the 9mm nagler 6 vs. pentax XW 10 to replace the 9.7...if I went XW10, then I could do a nagler 13 mm and sample one from each company and have one 82 degree...or should I just go ES 8.8 and 14 mm and put more money in my Roth IRA this year?
Any suggestions?

As far as use, I look at everything and would use both for planets, moon, and DSO. I wear glasses but don't use them to view...
Thanks
Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: psyhiker]
      #6048261 - 08/27/13 06:55 AM

One good strategy would be to spend the most money on the eyepiece that would give you a 2mm exit pupil for medium power that could be barlowed for high power.

That would mean something in the 18-22mm range. You would want something from ES or televue here. For the other eyepieces you could get some of the Astrotech Paradigms which are great and inexpensive.

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls [Re: BDS316]
      #6048268 - 08/27/13 07:04 AM

Kind of a key reason to go with the XW is for the long eye relief. If you don't wear glasses then it makes more sense to get wider AFOV with a nagler or ES eyepiece. Watch the size and weight of the ES 100 series as some of those are huge, with less than advertised eye relief. But the 82 series are pretty reasonable.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #6048477 - 08/27/13 09:49 AM

Go with the 82-deg ES 8.8 (or Nagler 9mm T6) and ES 100 deg 14mm, leapfrog 60-68-70-72-82 deg. and enjoy magestic 100 deg AFOV, it knocked me off my socks on my C8!

Best,

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: ibase]
      #6048526 - 08/27/13 10:19 AM

Really, you like it that much in your C8?? I have seen them at some astronomy shows, but never looked through one as I always thought they were too big and heavy on the back of one of these C8's and such.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: REC]
      #6048747 - 08/27/13 12:38 PM

Those old super plossls are VERY good EP's. You can get a larger field, but they won't be sharper or give better contrast. Modern coatings might improvement in transmission . After using an 11 and 8.8mm ES82 with my scopes, they are really nice EP's . When looking at planets or globulars I use TV plossls, parks GS5 and Brandons plus an occasional Ortho. The 8.8 is pretty good on planets and deep sky. It's only advantage is a wide field.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: bremms]
      #6048867 - 08/27/13 01:38 PM

Ditto what he said...VERY good EP's!

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6049078 - 08/27/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

I'm looking to upgrade from my old time meade super Plossls, 9.7 mm and 15 mm that came with my LX3 8" sct 25 years ago. They are both still pretty sharp, but the eye relief and narrow field of view is really starting to annoy me...
I want to go premium, because I finally can, but I also wouldn't reject something cheaper if is good...

I want at least one 82 degree (the widest field I have right now is an old televue 68 degree 24mm wide and my other eyepieces are a 40 mm televue Plossl and an 18 mm kellner from orion) and I'm torn and stuck. one thought I had was between the 9mm nagler 6 vs. pentax XW 10 to replace the 9.7...if I went XW10, then I could do a nagler 13 mm and sample one from each company and have one 82 degree...or should I just go ES 8.8 and 14 mm and put more money in my Roth IRA this year?
Any suggestions?

As far as use, I look at everything and would use both for planets, moon, and DSO. I wear glasses but don't use them to view...
Thanks
Rob

You should have 3 eyepieces for your scope as starters and then a couple more to fill in gaps.
On an 8" SCT (I owned one for 11 years), I'd start with a good 20mm eyepiece. It produces a 2mm exit pupil (high acuity for the eye), about 100X (a perfect power for a LOT of DSOs), and won't be too heavy.
On the bottom, you need an eyepiece with a wide field stop. It should be 2".
So if you haven't converted the scope to 2" yet, that's the first thing to do:
a 2" dielectric star diagonal (not the thread-on kind, the type with a tube that inserts in a new 2" visual back adapter. It's threaded for filters, and easier to rotate to a comfortable angle than the thread-on types, plus, has a larger clear aperture).
Then, a 32-40mm 2" eyepiece with a wide field so you can finally get a true field over one degree.
And, on the high end, a 13-14mm widefield to give you a nice wide field at high power so it doesn't feel cramped.
Then, add a good 2" 2X barlow for higher powers.
Result: 50-60x/100x/150x/200x/300x--about all you'll ever need.

For the low power(keeping to ES and TeleVue because those you mentioned):
TeleVue 35mm Panoptic x 68 degree**
Explore Scientific 40mm x 68 degree
Explore Scientific 34mm x 68 degrees

Mid power:
TeleVue Nagler Type 5 20mm x 82 degrees**
TeleVue Panoptic 19mm x 68 degrees
Explore Scientific 20mm x 68 degrees
Explore Scientific 20mm x 100 degrees
TeleVue Ethos 21mm x 100 degrees

High power:
TeleVue Ethos 13mm x 100 degrees
Explore Scientific 14mm x 100 degrees
TeleVue Nagler Type 6 13mm x 83 degrees**
Explore Scientific 14mm x 82 degrees
TeleVue Delos 14mm x 72 degrees

Barlows:
TeleVue PowerMate 2X, 2"
Explore Scientific Focal Extender 2X, 2"

** is personal experience in the 8" SCT and they work wonderfully.
Any of the eyepieces mentioned would be fine, though a few are quite heavy and may need your scope to be balanced with under-the-tube weights.

Is this an exhaustive list? No, there are many many eyepieces you'd probably like in your scope. I just kept the recommendations to the brands you mentioned and which satisfied the parameters I drew out.

One last comment: Ultra-high powers can be created by putting the 2" barlow in front of the star diagonal so you won't suffer from a lack of being able to achieve very high powers with the set of 3 I mention. And, you'll be able to spend a little more on each eyepiece because of fewer purchases.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: REC]
      #6049238 - 08/27/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Really, you like it that much in your C8?? I have seen them at some astronomy shows, but never looked through one as I always thought they were too big and heavy on the back of one of these C8's and such.

Yes, the ES100-14mm works great on the C8 (w/2" diagonal); it's big/heavy but my de-forked C8 slide-capable on a Nextar mount can handle the bulk. (My Nagler 9mm works on the C8 when the seeing is good, but I understand that other locations might find 9mm to result in too high a magnification).

Best,

psyhiker

Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: bremms]
      #6049383 - 08/27/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Those old super plossls are VERY good EP's. You can get a larger field, but they won't be sharper or give better contrast. Modern coatings might improvement in transmission .

Thanks for the feedback: yes, these are still sharp, but from where I view from home(los angeles) I find I rarely can use the 9.7 and see anything sharp, and the narrow field in both make me want more!! I will likely keep both eyepieces but want to upgrade with wider fields....

psyhiker

#6049390 - 08/27/13 06:12 PM

Don: and reading my response above makes me think that the your recommendation for a 13 mm for high power maybe is practically the highest power for my observing location, maybe I avoid 9mm and 8.8mm because of my experience with my 9.7...And I hadn't considered upgrading to a 2" diagonal..so many options!!

psyhiker

Re: Upgrades from meade super Plossls new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #6049395 - 08/27/13 06:14 PM

Quote:

Kind of a key reason to go with the XW is for the long eye relief. If you don't wear glasses then it makes more sense to get wider AFOV with a nagler or ES eyepiece.

Yes, I know, I don't wear my glasses to view, but I had read so many people calling the XW being an "immersive" eyepiece that sounded really cool...that's why I was considering it...

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 551

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics