Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: mountain monk]
      #6048132 - 08/27/13 02:17 AM

Depends on the obseving session. If it's a casual observing session, I'll listen to some music, but when I'm tracking down a difficult object or am sketching at the eyepiece, I need it quiet to be able to concentrate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: GageCook]
      #6048209 - 08/27/13 04:52 AM

This subject comes up periodically. For me, listening to music while observing would destroy much of the experience. For me and many others, listening to the night sounds is as important as seeing the night sights.

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6048234 - 08/27/13 06:10 AM

Thanks Jim I will look them up. I don't want them for observing. I want them for driving.

Steve

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6048263 - 08/27/13 06:57 AM

Something about the silence and the vastness of space that goes hand in hand. No music here.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Listening to music while observing [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6048300 - 08/27/13 07:48 AM

Hmmm depends, If Im tired Ill turn on metallica or apocolyptica, pink Floyd is good.
On high energy nights I go silent.
No coyotes here, least wise in town, out south theres a rather large pack though. Here its the screetch owls or tree frogs and crickets

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: droid]
      #6048370 - 08/27/13 08:43 AM

I like the quiet, can hear the coyotes, the owls and even the bats that fly overhead sometimes. Heck, even the multiple rabbits make noise.

But the best reason not to have any music going on is that it might wake up my neighbors.

Its bad enough for THEM to come outside and turn on their lights, why should I make them mad at me by me playing music?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6048379 - 08/27/13 08:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The vast majority of the time, I prefer to just enjoy the peace and quiet when out observing.

Same.

Same here. My music while observing is the night sounds. Coyotes howling, loons & geese calling, owls; just to name a few.

I dearly love music, but prefer the quiet solitude while under the beautiful night skies.

Or, as Bela Lagosi would say, "The children of the night"

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6048502 - 08/27/13 10:03 AM

I listen to music almost every observing session. I find that music helps me concentrate. In my urban back yard it dilutes the racket of vehicles racing around and hollering drunks which seem to come into prominence after dark. I do a sound check so that neighbors can't hear. In the wild I play it loud in hopes it keeps predators away. Two cougar encounters recently have me a bit on edge lately. For selection "Echos" by Pink Floyd is tough to beat. Mike Olfield's Tubular Bells or, even better, Songs of Distant Earth, are also in the rotation. Streaming 3WK underground Internet radio is also a favorite. Works on my phone from remote sites too.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6048518 - 08/27/13 10:14 AM

Right now I'm listening to those bugs or frogs that come in August and make a buzzing sound, not sure what they are, but always come in the end of summer.

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
      #6048641 - 08/27/13 11:34 AM

Wow, you blew my mind. Nothing I've read here has ever given me such an intense feeling of revulsion as the idea of listening to music while observing.

I'm trying to put my finger on why it seems like such a crazy idea to me, and I think I'm coming up with three things. First, it is another setup chore to pick out some music and tweak the volume and so on (my number one equipment goal is generally to minimize setup chores). Second, it is a potential distraction especially if I decide to change music (or if I pick the radio). Third, it destroys the timeless sense of the experience.

I think that last one is the big one for me. I don't think about time when I'm observing. I just keep observing if the conditions and equipment are cooperating. Sometimes I notice I'm tired, or I notice new stars have come up to the east, and it occurs to me that I've been out for hours. More often, I'll take a look at Vega through binocs and see that it brightens an area of the sky equivalent to the full moon (transparency, what's that?), and I won't be out for more than 5 minutes.

Seems like music would add a totally different element to it, a constant tacked-on reminder of the passage of time. Sounds like a real buzz-kill to me.

Unlike most of the other no-music votes here, I am not in it for the nature sounds though. Mostly I listen to cars, car stereos, and drunk undergraduates laughing too loudly as they stumble to the next party.

Takes all kinds, I guess!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6048746 - 08/27/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Music while observing? Never. I love silence, the great gray owls, the coyotes, the murmur of the distant river.

Dark skies.

Jack

I rarely listen to music when observing but I often listen to the radio, often Radio Australia or New Zealand National on the shortwave.

I find it helps keep me awake and alert on a long night.

Jon

sparky123
sage

Reged: 06/14/10

Loc: 41°N 96°W
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6048749 - 08/27/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

Pink Floyd or nothing.

and i thought i was the only one......this makes my day!

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #6048811 - 08/27/13 01:11 PM

No music, I want to be able to hear the footsteps creeping up from behind me.

Eric

kcgolden
sage

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #6048841 - 08/27/13 01:28 PM

I often play guitar in my warm/cool room while waiting for exposures. If I'm at the eyepiece though, no music.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: kcgolden]
      #6048890 - 08/27/13 01:47 PM

Sometimes I like to dial up a baseball game on the radio, or maybe Coast To Coast AM to listen to some of the kooks who call in.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #6048940 - 08/27/13 02:08 PM

I typically do not listen to music while observing, because I want to be able to hear anyone or anything that may be trying to sneak up on me. Once that nocturnal vistor turned out to be one of the largest and fattest skunks I had ever seen. I've been surprised more than once by a wet nose on my leg, which turned out to belong to a neighbhood or one of my own cats wanting scratchins too. At home, I do not want to disturb my neighbors. If I do listen to music, it would be classical music or artists such as Enya. While on the road to and from the observing site, it's any number of rock bands from the 70's to 90's for me.

Taras

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
      #6048985 - 08/27/13 02:26 PM

My playlist consists of owls, coyotes and silence.

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: desertlens]
      #6049110 - 08/27/13 03:34 PM

I love music too much to have it divide my attention away from visual observing. I'm certain that I can't see as much through the eyepiece if music is playing, particularly if it's music I like, and can't ignore. When I'm imaging in the backyard, which doesn't involve so much attention to my vision, then I have the music going.

As for others' music at star parties, thanks to all who reply that they listen to it with headphones.

Tom

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #6049140 - 08/27/13 03:52 PM

Sometimes at home I've taken to listening to the local jazz show ..(headphones) I have a tenant who's always smoki out her apartment window and not being able to hear that window going up and down and other early evening sounds of traffic, I've been finding, is great. The jazz show ends around 11pm and I shut it off.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Listening to music while observing new [Re: lamplight]
      #6049165 - 08/27/13 04:07 PM

So now you're out when the police pull up and you not only have an item that looks like a morter, you're wearing ear protection too.......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1980

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics