Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Carl Kolchak]
      #5650798 - 01/29/13 05:33 PM

Cool, I'll look for the update in a few days for my Kindle. I own the version 1.14, LunarMap HD already and love it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
arpruss
Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

Reged: 05/23/08

Loc: Waco, TX
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Photobud]
      #5653898 - 01/31/13 09:27 AM

Quote:

Cool, I'll look for the update in a few days for my Kindle. I own the version 1.14, LunarMap HD already and love it.

Amazon has approved and posted the update. Enjoy!

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: arpruss]
      #5653969 - 01/31/13 10:01 AM

Got! Thanks for the update, especially the hiding of zoom buttons since I never used them.

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Photobud]
      #6048168 - 08/27/13 03:21 AM

Are the maps downloaded directly into the SD cards in smartphones? (or would one need to shift them manually)?

arpruss

Re: LunarMap for Android [Re: dobsoscope]
      #6048316 - 08/27/13 08:03 AM

They are downloaded to whatever area the Operating System designates as external storage. On my S2, there is an internal SD card and an external SD card, and they go to the internal one.
One can't move them, I am afraid.

arpruss

#6247903 - 12/11/13 09:26 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

I made a bunch of updates in 1.32.2. Is now up in Google Play and should be up in the Amazon Appstore tomorrow or the day after.

1. New Actionbar-based user interface, particularly nice for tablets. Easy icon for switching maps. (Currently you do lose your place. That's a leftover from how it used to work. I hope to fix that.)
2. Memory management improvements.

Unfortunately, the new version's ActionBar support requires Android 2.1. Rather than keep support for the very small number of users with older Android devices (which are likely too slow anyway for satisfactory use), I spun off the free LunarMap Classic, which has all the features of the old LunarMap HD, but is limited to Android 1.6 to 2.0. So if you have Android 1.6-2.0, just get LunarMap Classic. That won't get any feature updates, but if I find an easy bug fix, I may do it.

Edited by arpruss (12/11/13 09:34 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6248480 - 12/12/13 08:30 AM

Alexander:

Thanks.. I will download it asap..

Does it include the laser cloud blaster you were talking about?

Jon

Edited by Jon Isaacs (12/12/13 08:31 AM)

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: KILM
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6248833 - 12/12/13 11:25 AM

I have been using this app for over two months now, and this latest update has made scrolling when zoomed in all the way infinitely smoother. Very nice job! This is helping me a TON with locating features for the lunar observing program. Excellent job! I am using the app on a Nexus 10. Keep up the fantastic work!
Edit: The update also fixed a friend's Lunar Maps HD as well, in which on their phone the menu would disappear after displaying it the 1st time.

Edited by bluesteel (12/12/13 11:13 PM)

arpruss

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: bluesteel]
      #6274178 - 12/26/13 06:44 PM

I just posted 1.35. There are some minor fixes, but the main thing is that you can get a 20480x20480 resolution LRO orbiter map of the nearside. Just press the Folder button to choose the map, and select the LRO WAC hi-res map. The map is a separate 34mb download.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #6274457 - 12/26/13 09:23 PM

My favorite Lunar app just got even better! The new map is excellent. I especially enjoy LunarMap while I'm using my MallinCam to observe the Moon.

About the only additional feature I'd like would be to have the unilluminated portion of the Moon dark. The current terminator 'line' is functional, but I'd rather have the dark portion covered either by a translucent or opaque mask to match the sky view.

If you enjoy observing the Moon and don't already have LunarMap, get it!

Don

The Mighty Mo
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/12/13

Loc: South of North, North of South...
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Digital Don]
      #6274520 - 12/26/13 09:58 PM

The just download update and new LRO map waiting for Orion and Jupiter to rise. Very nice.

edit - after playing with it for a while on my Note 2, I'd really like to see what it looks like on a 10" tablet screen.

Edited by The Mighty Mo (12/26/13 11:52 PM)

arpruss

#6291637 - 01/04/14 11:38 AM

I have a new beta version. If you'd like to test it, email me at arpruss at gmail dot com, or PM me with your email address.

I'd ideally like beta testers who have been using the old version already, though new users are welcome. The new version has some additional optimizations that should make it faster and more responsive.

BUT the down side of the new version is that it requires a re-download of all the maps. Before forcing users to do that, I really want to make sure that the new version is better.

arpruss

#6304064 - 01/10/14 12:07 PM

I posted 1.40 to Google Play and Amazon Appstore. I've optimized memory usage and scrolling speed. The downside of the optimizations is that I had to change the map format, which means that you will need to re-download any maps you were using. (It will delete the old ones on startup.) The new maps take up slightly less space than the old ones, though. While I was at it, I added a 20480x20480 LRO map of the farside.

I had a user query me about a vertical reflection mode for SCT+diagonal users. That will be coming in the next release, but in the meanwhile any SCT+diagonal users can just set left-right reverse mode AND check "Southern hemisphere" in the options (or Northern, if you're in the South!)--that should have the same effect.

dedo

Reged: 06/04/10

Loc: Italy, Rome
      #6309586 - 01/13/14 05:54 AM

Very good job Alex, both with the higher resolution LRO map as well as with the optimizations. Pro version now runs considerably better on my Samsung Tab II.

Perhaps I have a little bug: with the USGS Geologic map, whenever i try to turn on the reference labels (second icon from left on the action bar which becames visible only if available on map itself) it crashes, while the map info button on the same map does nothing.

By the way, I've read only now your post about beta testers, and since I use it extensively since more than an year now, I will be glad to help you in the future just in case.

Andrea

Edited by dedo (01/13/14 05:58 AM)

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #6311013 - 01/13/14 08:05 PM

Alex, will the new version you refer to above have the ability to show the unilluminated proton of the Moon as dark (hopefully a dark translucent mask so the details are still visible)? That's about the only feature I miss.

Thanks!

Don

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics