Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
axle01

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia
Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor
      #6048322 - 08/27/13 08:07 AM

What eyepieces would be best on a 130mm F7 920mm Triplet refractor.

Looking at what I already have I also have 2 x 21mm Denks on the way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: axle01]
      #6050266 - 08/28/13 09:04 AM

On my f8 150 achro I use the 20mm SWA the most followed by the 15mm SWA's and then the RKE 28's. The 28's get the DSO's and the the other two the moon and planets. So I reckon you have covered yourself quite well. My favourite mono eyepiece was the ES 16mm 68º a little beauty and you have two of the things. Sell everything else or if you can get Denk 14's....the best 14mm eyepiece ever made IMO.
Matt

urassner
sage

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Messyone]
      #6050346 - 08/28/13 09:55 AM

I have the Denk 21 and Denk 14 for my 5 inch f8 and 6 inch f9 refractor. The D14 probably get the most use. I have to agree with Matt, the D14s are amazing. For higher mag with excellent seeing, I have a pair of Pentax 8.5 XF (I like long eye relief, since I often keep my glasses on). I also have a power switch on my Denk II which is wonderful, since you don't need as many eyepieces and don't have to switch them out as much.
I used to have some 82 degree ES 14 mm, but the eyerelief was too tight for me.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: urassner]
      #6050546 - 08/28/13 11:51 AM

Are you using the D14 in the BV with the 2x powerswitch arm in and if so, it's ok? I have a hard time using my 20's in the Denks with the 2x arm in on my 8" SCT....too much power.

Bob

axle01

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Messyone]
      #6051658 - 08/28/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

Sell everything else or if you can get Denk 14's....the best 14mm eyepiece ever made IMO.
Matt

Wow that would be a bit tough I would really have a hard time parting with any of the EP's I have, but I will certainly have a look at getting a couple of 14's,,,,,thanks Matt.

I am thinking of 2 x 24mm Televue Pan's

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
      #6058604 - 09/02/13 01:53 AM

i have the denk 14 k 21's. the 14 is super duper. the 21 is super. Another nice pair are panoptic 19's. these are beautiful ep's and i am still not sure if i like them better than the 21's. Another great set that i have are the televue 8-24 zooms. think about 12 different mags if using the power switch. FOV is backwards but u can leave them in all night and never run out of changes. radians are nice less expensive ways of getting some pairs. I will be selling my baader hyperion 24's for 100 each and they are nice less expensive lenses too. Also i really enjoyed a pair of tv nagler 2's in 12mm. huge and neat.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Rossmon]
      #6058791 - 09/02/13 08:05 AM

Oh, I would love to pair up my 19Pan if I can ever find one used...expensive though and I already have a pair of Meade 20SWA.....but heavy!

BrianG

Reged: 09/13/09

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: REC]
      #6058867 - 09/02/13 09:04 AM

I prefer the 24 Pan's to the D21's in the Binotron

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: BrianG]
      #6058874 - 09/02/13 09:08 AM

You don't mind the vignetting in low power mode? I did not care for it. Even in straight though, I thought there was some vignetting with 24mms.

I used a pair of 19mmm Pans in my old Denk IIs, but it was too much power in high power arm for my own scope.

I wanted 24 widefeilds to work, but just could not get past the vignetting.

BrianG

Reged: 09/13/09

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6058942 - 09/02/13 10:02 AM

I don't find it very noticeable in my 115 in low power mode and almost not at all in straight through mode. The gains in light through put more than make up for it.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: BrianG]
      #6059439 - 09/02/13 02:46 PM

Well, I may be more sensitive to it, plus, I was using an f/4.9 reflector, but I found the vignetting with the 24s pretty obvious in low power.

In medium, it was minor, but in my rather bright skies, I still could see it.

22mm Pans were completely free of visible vignetting in straight though, but I could still see some minor vignetting in low power.

It may be a very personal thing though.. Wasn't my own cup of tea but it appears that many people are OK with it.

axle01

#6060367 - 09/03/13 01:04 AM

2 Denk 21's turned up today, now need time and clear skies to compare them to the Brandons and RKE28's

Would like to see 2 TV24Pans hanging off the binotron for comparison.

Allan Wade
sage

Reged: 01/27/13

Loc: Newcastle, Australia
      #6070378 - 09/08/13 10:33 PM

Axle, how are the Denk 21's going for you?

I'm in a similar position to you, with the Binotron 27 coming and needing eyepieces for it. Had my first look through a Pan 24 on the weekend(mono mode). In my 12" dob and using a Paracorr I thought the view was stunning. The only thing holding me back from going with the Pans at the moment is some of the talk about vignetting. I may yet consider getting the Binotron without the eyepieces and borrowing the Pan 24 again for a look and see how bad the vignetting is.

Anyone else gone done the Binotron 27/Pan 24 road?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Allan Wade]
      #6070822 - 09/09/13 08:19 AM

The vignetting is more noticable in low power mode, but stright though and high power, it is much harder to see.

And I had the same issue with the Denk II. Even 22mm Panoptics vignetted wiht the low power arm, but 19mm Panoptics did not.

And the field stop of the D21s is right in the middle of the field stop for the 22mm Pans and the 19mm Pans,

There is no doubt that the D21s are what they are (only 65 degrees AFOV and about 21.6mm in focal length).

Think about it. Denkmeier could make the eyepeice whatever size that they wanted, and if you could make it with a Panoptic sized field stop, why wouldn't you make it with a Panoptic sized field stop...

Well, if it didn't work very well, and you wanted to ofer the best possible off axis performance in the widest
possible field of view, you would tailor the eyepeice to the Binoviewer to get exactly what you needed to offer excellent views in all three modes.

And that would be the D21. A reasonably wide apparent field, with a reasonably wide field stop with a reasonalbly low power and a reasonably high power.

D21s Are I believe the ultimate eyepeice for the Binotrons.

Allan Wade
sage

Reged: 01/27/13

Loc: Newcastle, Australia
      #6070879 - 09/09/13 09:11 AM

Thanks once more Eddgie. This eyepiece decision is doing my head in. The more I read, the more trouble I have making the decision. I guess I keep thinking how much I love my TV eyepieces for mono viewing. I need to let that go and approach it from a bino perspective.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Eyepieces for a Binotron/Refractor new [Re: Allan Wade]
      #6070949 - 09/09/13 10:10 AM

Binoviewers perhaps make you consider more compromises than any other astro-gear made.

I fuss over a lot of this stuff, but a lot of people will tell you they are satisfied.

So, it comes down to how much compromise you want to make.

If a little vignetting doesn't bother you, use the 24mm Pans. Other people do and seem happy enough.

So, don't let my own insistence on perfection color the practical aspects of it all.

Unless you want perfect too. Then you really have to do your homework, and with binoviewers, you may find real perfection almost impossible to achieve. Somewhere along the line, you have to make compromises. It is really that simple.

axle01

#6072546 - 09/10/13 02:31 AM

Have to say I really like the Denks, I would like to try the Pans but they are 2" in diameter and not sure if there would be any room for my nose.

Edited by axle01 (09/10/13 02:33 AM)

slack
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

#6072731 - 09/10/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

Have to say I really like the Denks, I would like to try the Pans but they are 2" in diameter and not sure if there would be any room for my nose.

I believe that you might find the opposite to be true in practice. In direct comparison, I find the 24mm Pans to be more accommodating and comfortable than the 21mm Denks.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6072753 - 09/10/13 08:21 AM

The Panoptics I think must have been designed with the thought that they would be used for binoviewing.

While the biggest diameter of the eyepeice is quite wide, there is a very deep taper from the eypiece eyeguard to the wider part of the body to allow clearance.

Of course IPD may be an issue, but many people report room to spare from an IPD standpoint.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 879

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics