Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Ruining the nostalgia? new
      #6048143 - 08/27/13 02:43 AM

I've been using my RV-6 now quite a bit, finding objects and such, and I build a 50mm right angle finder and wanted to mount it on the scope. I have a few problems with this. First, I once used a RA finder by itself and found it very difficult to use without a red dot or similar finder. That's why the straight through on the 6" is great, except I find that my neck is killing me after a few minutes of finding an object. Second, I don't want to kill that antique "feel" to the scope by putting all sorts of modern things on it. I also eventually want to get a helical focuser for it. Third, is there enough space on the tube for 2 finder devices? If so, the Telrad is pretty bulky but very good. Still have to rig up some kind of mounting rings for the finder, and I don't want to dril into that tube. So what do you think? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6048241 - 08/27/13 06:26 AM

If you don't want to drill holes, I think the finder is out. The telrad is big and bulky and "square". You might do what I did when first starting out. Two small strips of Velcro hidden on the bottom of the tube or maybe on the cradle, and a green laser. Don't shoot your eye out!

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: turk123]
      #6048278 - 08/27/13 07:26 AM

What about holding it to the tube with a couple of large hose clamps? You could line them with stick-on felt if you wanted....
R

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? [Re: roscoe]
      #6048326 - 08/27/13 08:10 AM

Zip ties are another mounting option. They can hold a Telrad base quite firmly if you can find them long enough to fit round the tube. I have used them on a 5 inch diameter tube to hold a telrad base. You can get black ones about 3/8 inch wide at Lowes.

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6048353 - 08/27/13 08:33 AM

I had the same issues, I have a hard time working with just a finderscope.I use hose clamps on mine. An 8" hoseclamp costs $3 from your hardware store.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: Sean Cunneen]
      #6048372 - 08/27/13 08:43 AM

Well te regular telrad mounts with foam tape right? If I ever do want to take it off, how hard is it to remove? Also, I thouhght more about the finder and thought, well there already is a place in the tube where 2 holes have been drilled, so when I make the mounting rings, I could put the holes like right there. I don't want to ruin the classic feel to the scope though

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #6048411 - 08/27/13 09:04 AM

I've used Nylon cargo straps. They don't look too bad if you find a nice color. A leather strap or belt might also look nice. A set of tube rings down by the saddle might also work well and provide a nice attachment point for other things.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: jgraham]
      #6048493 - 08/27/13 09:56 AM

I put a right angle 35mm finder on my RV6 way back when. It was 6x and 8 deg field. Fit perfectly in the stock finder bracket. Still need to sight down the scope a little but with such a wide field it was easy. Got a surplus lens from Edmund and used the old Edmund 1 1/8" EP. Think I even glued in some crosshairs.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: jgraham]
      #6048514 - 08/27/13 10:10 AM

You have setting circles on that mount. If you haven't learned to use them, you might be surpised at how well they work and you won't need another finder. Many starchart APPS have a nice feature of showing you were Polaris is vs the pole with an image that matches the type of finder on the scope ie inverted or flipped. So this makes polar aligning a breeze. Then all you do is go to a bright star, center it and calibrate your circles to read the RA and DEC of that star. The RA circle on the RV-6 isn't driven so you either have to keep track of the delta time from when you first calibrated your RA circle and add this offset to RA of the next object you want to find or simply adjust the RA circle to read the RA of objective your observing just before you go looking for the next object. Another trick to point the scope at a bright star that is near the object you wantt to observing and make sure the circles read the correct RA and DEC of that star the move the scope to cooridinates of the object you want to observe. With a little practice you'll be finding objects almost a fast as modern scope with motorized GOTO.

- Dave

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #6048557 - 08/27/13 10:37 AM

If you want to mount a finder, make a bracket that uses the existing holes and provides a place to attach a standard Vixen/Orion/Synta finder dovetail. A piece of aluminum channel is a good place to start but it could be wood too that was shaped to fit.

Jon

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6048619 - 08/27/13 11:14 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

Wood is a great medium to work with. It would be an excellent choice for matching up to the original offset finder bracket holes.

I highly suggest you put some reinforcement on the inside of the tube if you use the finder holes. Ask your hardware store about metal plumbing strap. You can also bend a regular washer to fit the curve. A fender washer is an excellent choice. I've seen many an RV-6 bakelite tube give way in the finder bracket area. The finder is the easiest thing to bump, hit, stress, or just accidently obliterate. A larger supporting surface on the inside for the bolt is not a small help. It's huge.

Here's a picture of two tubes I have here. Notice the typical cracks on the finder holes. These are typical, without abuse. These cracks are not on the focuser holes or spider vane holes on these tubes. I've seen a lot more besides these.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6048629 - 08/27/13 11:22 AM

Look here and Scroll down to #SFTP adapter plate:
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_sfind.htm
This adapter plate is a flat deck you can mount whatever you want to it (like finder rings) and it will install on a Telrad base.
You can then mount the Telrad base on your scope with the double back foam tape and have interchangeable finders.
To remove a Telrad base from your scope you can saw through the double back foam mounting tape with dental floss or heat the base with a hair dryer to soften the bond and pull it off.
I like the Telrad reflex sight it is a very fast finder. Be sure and get or make a dew shield for it.
I must admit that I do not use a Telrad on my classic scopes. That is soon to change though because it is a excellent sight.

Robert

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: actionhac]
      #6048635 - 08/27/13 11:32 AM

Telrads are great planet finders for lazy guys like myself who don't like bending at odd angles or getting on my knees in the grass. Simply look down on the reticle through the window - like a right angle finder. Planets are bright enough to still be visible along with the reticle even though you're using the windo as an unaluminized mirror.

Tim

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #6048792 - 08/27/13 01:03 PM

Quote:

Well te regular telrad mounts with foam tape right? If I ever do want to take it off, how hard is it to remove? Also, I thouhght more about the finder and thought, well there already is a place in the tube where 2 holes have been drilled, so when I make the mounting rings, I could put the holes like right there. I don't want to ruin the classic feel to the scope though

Telrad tape is easy to remove. Razor blade and a little bit of solvent, like alcohol or paint thinner.

Hey, while it's a "classic", do you want it to be a usable scope or a museum piece?

Edited by bierbelly (08/27/13 01:04 PM)

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: bierbelly]
      #6048829 - 08/27/13 01:21 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Rigel QuickFinder is another reflex like the Telrad.
http://www.company7.com/rigel/products/qwikfinder.html
The detachable base has only one central screw (or tape) and a small footprint which is great for a scope that already has a optical finder.

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: actionhac]
      #6048919 - 08/27/13 01:57 PM

Love your scale model :-)

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6048923 - 08/27/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Love your scale model :-)

on my c-5 I use weatherstripping foam tape (adhesive on one side) on the rails of the quikfinder base, and then zip ties around the tube over the front and back of the base. Works fine. Or, you can use big rubber bands, till you find the right place.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6048980 - 08/27/13 02:24 PM

i'd just add a red dot finder. The field of view in that scope is big enough to accomodate it, and tgey are relatively unobtrusive. You could probably mount it right on the existing 6x30 finder.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: Gil V]
      #6049048 - 08/27/13 03:07 PM

I remember back in the 60's, my first 4.25" reflector didn't even have a finder. I sighted along the main tube to find objects. After a while, it worked pretty well.

Of course, I was a lot more limber at age ten than I am now.

Darnit.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Ruining the nostalgia? new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6049099 - 08/27/13 03:29 PM

Two possible tips:

1. You can add zip ties together; they don't have to be super long.

2. You may be able to zip tie a telrad to the existing finder. Won't look that good but may work pretty well.

JimC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1868

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics