Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
blues713

Reged: 08/27/13

Whats my Questar worth.
      #6048664 - 08/27/13 11:51 AM

Hi peoples,
My grandfather passed about a year ago and some of my inheritance was a questar telescope. I have used it to gaze at the stars and seen the rings of Saturn but I know I am not using it to its full potential. The more I read about how good these telescopes can be the more nervous I am having it in my hands.

Any ways, its a questar 3.5" telescope with the leather case , keys are still in original bag, power cord, legs, solar filter, both a 24mm, 16mm lens. The etching on the back, #3-cv-dp-5623-bb, has turned up that it is a duplex model with broad band coating.
here are some pics of the questar. any further information anyone can hook me up with, it would be really really awesome.

bonus pic I took with my iphone5 up to the eyepiece

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blues713

Re: Whats my Questar worth. new [Re: blues713]
      #6049004 - 08/27/13 02:39 PM

i have looked on the questar website but still dont have a pall park for a selling price. Please, any one with info that knows what this thing is worth, reply =P

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Whats my Questar worth. new [Re: blues713]
      #6049144 - 08/27/13 03:54 PM

You have a 3-CV-DP-5623-BB

3 = the last digit of the year it was made (1973 for yours)

CV = Cer-Vit (the material the mirror is made of, CV was an upgrade from the Pyrex base mirror and is a good thing)

DP = Duplex Model (this is a major upgrade from the base Standard Model and allows the OTA to be removed from the base and used on a standard tripod, this is a very good thing).

5623 = This is the real serial number and means the Q3.5 was made in the 1970s (SN #4000 to SN #7500 were made in the 1970s). The 3 at the begining of yours means 1973 was the year of production.

BB = Broad Band Coatings on your CV mirror, this is a good upgrade from no coatings.

You own a very nice Questar 3.5 inch mirror Duplex with an upgraded mirror.

How much it is valued at is a broad spread of factors.

Some recent sales are:

AMart website (these are asking prices of duplex Q 3.5s)

year not known $2450 not a CV but has PGII

year not known $2300 not CV

1968 $2500 not CV

2007 $3995

1994 $2450 Zerodur mirror (like a CV)

eBay

1989 sold for $3176.25 Zerodur mirror plus 5 EPs (the extra 3 EPs are probably worth $600)

What yours is worth would be in the $2000 to $3000 depending on it's condition. One note: even if it is worth $3000 it is ment to be used and is a very well made and can handle the task.

Good luck, Bill

blues713

Re: Whats my Questar worth. new [Re: Billydee]
      #6049319 - 08/27/13 05:17 PM

thanks so much Bill. This thing has very little scuffs on the unit, as for the mirrors they are very clean. I think he had it in storage for at least 20 years. I just don't have the time and money to invest in making this a full hobby as much as I would like. I also don't wanna be responsible if I break it doing some thing stupid. I am a very clumbsy person.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1244

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics