Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ohata0

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: Hawaii, USA
smaller weights for the vx new
      #6028557 - 08/16/13 04:48 AM

because i'm using a c90 and my camera equipment, i haven't really touched my 11 lb counterweight that came with the vx. eventually, i'll get another scope, but for now, i need smaller weights.

i was looking at the iOptron's 5 lb counterweight for the zeq25, it seems like that would fit the vx. has anyone tried it?

a search on amazon also came across these two weights: On Stage CW3 Mic Boom/Stand 3lbs Counterweight 98067
On Stage Mic Stand Boom Counter Weight 6lb. 35453 - On Stage CW-6.

the spec sheet says it will fit any stand up to 7/8." does this look like it would work on the vx?

the shape looks great for my lighter equipment...i could probably get the 6 lb weight and slide it all the way up to the top without it hitting anything.

right now, i'm using dumbell weights (3 and 5 lbs depending on what i'm using) and a bungie cord. i kinda wanted something that's a little easier to slide up and down, which is why i'm looking for another solution.

the ioptron looks fine, but when i'm using my camera lens i need something a little lighter (which is why i have the 3 lbs). the 5 lb weight i'm using now would hit stuff if i put it too far up...i'm guessing the ioptron would have the same problem. plus, if the other ones work, i could have both weights for the same price as the ioptron.

anyone try mic stand counterweights? does it seem like it would work ok? kinda want to make sure it would work before i hit the buy button.

if anyone buys that 6 lbs weight from amazon, do be careful. one of the other "sellers" is trying to sell it for $97,987.00 + $18 shipping. it's $19.95 with the other seller

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: ohata0]
      #6028709 - 08/16/13 08:35 AM

I use the Orion 7½ lb CWs on my CG-5s for my smaller scopes.

Stan

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Mount-Tripod-Accessories/75lb-Counter...

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6030298 - 08/17/13 02:48 AM

Vixen has a 6.5 pound wt with 20mm bore. I use one in addition to the stock CW which is not enough for my C8HD as I have it configured.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6031685 - 08/17/13 08:19 PM

Quote:

I use the Orion 7½ lb CWs on my CG-5s for my smaller scopes.

+1 I use the same weight with my AVX when I mount my AT72ED on it.

ohata0

Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #6031716 - 08/17/13 08:41 PM

that may work for my c90 (it's 5 lbs i think), but not so much for my camera lenses.

i went and ordered the weights after finding another older post about them on this site through bestbuy (the amazon sellers didn't want to ship to hawaii and bestbuy has free shipping). hopefully it works, i'll make a post when i get them.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: ohata0]
      #6032667 - 08/18/13 11:30 AM

My AT72ED is 5 lbs also. It is a heavy little thing for its size. In the future I plan on getting a 200mm camera lens and just mounting my DSLR on a dovetail bar, so I will be faced with the same issue on that.

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
Re: smaller weights for the vx new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #6035070 - 08/19/13 06:03 PM

The cw shaft of the VX is 3/4". So 7/8" will fit fine!

ohata0

Re: smaller weights for the vx [Re: schluterdude]
      #6049444 - 08/27/13 06:48 PM

just got the weights in.

i tried them out. they seem to work well. kinda destroyed the nylon tips on the first weight though because i screwed it too tight (i expected it to be hard like the tip on the vx counterweight). oh well. even without it, it doesn't seem to scratch the counterweight bar.

i find that for what i have, i'll probably use the 6 lbs a lot. although if i end up using lighter lenses, like my 135mm or 50mm, i may have to use the 3 lb weight. the 3 just wasn't quite heavy enough for the 400mm lens, and my 7D. i think i also need the 3 lbs when i'm using the c90 and mini guidescope.

you have to be careful when loosening it though, since the hole extends to the side...don't want to drop it on your feet. also, the counterweight safety screw isn't quite big enough to stop the weight from falling off the bar if it's loose.

i haven't tried it out yet in the field, but hopefully i won't have any issues with it hitting the front screw--the only thing i would have to worry about is the tightening screw on the weight...it sticks out a little. still, the overall size is smaller than the normal counterweights (and cheaper too).

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 454

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics