Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
Bray Tablet Twin Arm Alt-Azimuth Mount new
      #6047208 - 08/26/13 03:28 PM

Does anyone have experience of using a Bray Tablet Mount ?

I've been looking for a really sturdy alt-azimuth mount to cope with a 35lb 6 foot long refractor optical tube.

The Bray seems to have a fearsome reputation for load carrying when mated with the right tripod - does this extend to long tubed scopes ?

Alternatives I've had suggested are the T-Rex mount and the APM AzMaxLoad mount. I have the possibility to buy a pre-owned Bray Tablet Twin Arm which should cost somewhat less than the other two I mention but the saving will be a false one of course if the Bray can't tame the tube length to a reasonable degree at least.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Bray Tablet Twin Arm Alt-Azimuth Mount new [Re: John Huntley]
      #6049193 - 08/27/13 04:16 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

John - I don't have any experience with the Bray mount (almost bought one a while back). If you are going down the alt-az road then you may consider making a mount. Here is a picture of my 6 inch f/15 Istar lens. The whole mount and pier cost me about 30 GBP to make. Inside the base I have a car jack so that I can move the scope up and down.
While I like the alt-az mount, the scope is going into my observatory on a driven Fullerscope MK1V equatorial.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Bray Tablet Twin Arm Alt-Azimuth Mount new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6049198 - 08/27/13 04:18 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

On the MK1V.

igibbs99

Reged: 11/05/05

Re: Bray Tablet Twin Arm Alt-Azimuth Mount new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6049352 - 08/27/13 05:46 PM

John

I don't have any experience with a long refractor like yours, but I was quite happy with the way the Bray mount handled a C14 I once owned. It has also handled well my 6" f/8 refractor and 15kg Mak Cass, mounted at the same time. As you already suspect, the 35lb weight of your scope wouldn't trouble the Tablet, but I can't speak to how well it would cope with the length. I expect there is some correlation between weight capacity and OTA length capacity, though.

I also installed digital setting circles on my Tablet, if you're interested in having that capability.

Regards
Ian

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
Re: Bray Tablet Twin Arm Alt-Azimuth Mount [Re: igibbs99]
      #6049472 - 08/27/13 07:11 PM

Thanks folks, thats very useful feedback. Making a mount is on my options list and may well come into play - I'll search the net for some different design options but it's great to see that these large scopes can be handled on a DIY mount

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 345

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics