Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new
      #6050774 - 08/28/13 02:07 PM

It sounds like owning a future licensed copy of Adobe Photoshop is not going to happen. After CS6, Adobe's future versions of Photoshop will only be available on a subscription basis, what Adobe is calling "Adobe Creative Cloud". By the looks of it you will be paying a monthly
fee forever and a day for other bundled stuff that you really don't need.

Even when you go to Adobe's website now, try and see if you can purchase a licensed version of CS6.

For up 'n coming astrophotographers, this is really going to put up a brick wall. They will have to fork out a monthly fee too use the software on top of the cost of acquiring equipment in the future.

Most of the tutorials related to astrophotography that are on the web relate to Adobe Photoshop. Maybe the mentors will change their approach and introduce beginners to something like Pix-In-Site or Corel PaintShopPro instead. It would be nice if Corel had colour channels to work with like Photoshop has. I don't have Pix in Sight...just CS6 & PSPX4 so I don't know about their colour channel blending. But I'm sure, between the other two software companies, they could come up with something close to how Photoshop works without infringing on Adobe.

Personally, I think Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot by bringing in their Creative Cloud with users having to pay a monthly fee, having no other alternative of buying their product at a one time price. I don't think this marketing diversion will hold or help Adobe and sometime...3 or 4 years down the road they'll either have financial problems because of the loss of potential customers (over this scheme)or maybe bring back their old pricing format at a reduced cost. This would allow more potential users to purchase Adobe Photoshop and mean more revenue for Adobe as well.

PS: I apologize for stating that CS6 was no longer available for purchase...apparently it still is but it isn't listed "up front". You have to search for it on Adobe's site.

Edited by RandallK (08/30/13 12:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: RandallK]
      #6051069 - 08/28/13 05:03 PM

Agreed... I have CS5, that is the last version I will buy.

weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/13/04

Loc: East of the sun-west of the mo...
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: WesC]
      #6052122 - 08/29/13 09:06 AM

Try the Gimp. It runs on Windows and it's open source.
http://www.gimp.org/

I'm also an Adobe user, but the layout of Gimp, gets me.
It does almost everything PS does, except for print.

Just hope that Adobe keeps stuff up to date on older versions if you need to reinstall. You can't reinstall Illustrator CS2 and a version of Acrobat. Something screwed up and they can't be validated. I got 7 pro on a laptop so I can run Illustrator 8. I can use PS 7 if I have to.

btb
sage

Reged: 07/07/06

Loc: Northeast Indiana
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: RandallK]
      #6052394 - 08/29/13 11:50 AM

Has anyone tried PhotoFiltre 7?
PhotoFiltre

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: btb]
      #6052440 - 08/29/13 12:17 PM

+1 on Gimp. I'm not an Astrophotographer, but that is the photo program I have. Why not,it's free.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! [Re: weezy]
      #6052451 - 08/29/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

Just hope that Adobe keeps stuff up to date on older versions if you need to reinstall. You can't reinstall Illustrator CS2 and a version of Acrobat. Something screwed up and they can't be validated.

Adobe released special serial numbers so people could install a bunch of their products that were affected by the validation issue. The serial numbers are listed on the Adobe website. When the special serial numbers are used the affected products will install and run without need for any future validation. The problem is you can't navigate to the website via Adobes main menus. So unless you knew the URL you were SOL. The link was listed here but the Mods removed it.

CS6 is also still availible for purchase on Abode's site.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #6054097 - 08/30/13 10:08 AM

There are solutions that don't mean giving up the quality or the Photoshop way of doing things.

First, it's easy enough to find older, used versions of the program for sale. If you are not involved in something like magazine production, you probably don't need the latest Photoshop. I get by fine with older versions. Even for my professional work, photos for my magazine articles and books.

Most of us, frankly, can do fine with the combination of Photoshop Elements and Lightroom, both of which are still non-cloud.

Edited by rmollise (08/30/13 10:11 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6054244 - 08/30/13 11:34 AM

Quote:

The link was listed here but the Mods removed it.

Some had posted links to an internal page on the Adobe site intended to provide this info to holders of valid CS2 licenses. This was not intended for use by those without valid licenses. Since it was not authorized by Adobe for others to take advantage of this, the link(s) are removed.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6054850 - 08/30/13 06:01 PM

Adobe says hundreds of thousands of copies of the various software packages with the special serial numbers they offered up have been downloaded.

They also continue to maintain the link to all the software and serial numbers for downloading on their website.

FoggyEyes
sage

Reged: 06/01/13

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
      #6055050 - 08/30/13 08:23 PM

Seems to be a new commercial trend - Microsoft is trying to push people to Office365, which is a subscription model. They haven't pulled the cord on people buying permanent licenses, yet, but the train is gathering steam and getting ready to charge out of the station.

Opens a new opportunity for Gimp, OpenOffice, etc.

weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/13/04

Loc: East of the sun-west of the mo...
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: FoggyEyes]
      #6055655 - 08/31/13 08:45 AM

The instructions were not very good in my opinion. I'll stick with Illustrator 8 on virtual XP. As long as I can keep this laptop going, It will be OK. The computer that Illustrator CS2 is on is not online.
I can always switch to Inkscape, which is also open source.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6055879 - 08/31/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

Adobe says hundreds of thousands of copies of the various software packages with the special serial numbers they offered up have been downloaded.

They also continue to maintain the link to all the software and serial numbers for downloading on their website.

It is CN's decision not to post the link to the downloads. Any questions may be taken up with any Administrator.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

#6056625 - 08/31/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

It is CN's decision not to post the link to the downloads. Any questions may be taken up with any Administrator.

LOL OK

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6057298 - 09/01/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

Some had posted links to an internal page on the Adobe site intended to provide this info to holders of valid CS2 licenses. This was not intended for use by those without valid licenses. Since it was not authorized by Adobe for others to take advantage of this, the link(s) are removed.

That is all very true, and I do not endorse nor condone illegal use of software. HOWEVER...Adobe is obviously not very worried about it as regards CS2 or they would not have posted the software and license numbers.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: rmollise]
      #6058337 - 09/01/13 09:34 PM

Checks. But, whatever, people can find it if they want to. There are plenty of other options out there that 'work'. Star tools, Pixinsight, Nebulosity, GiMP... the list runs on and on.

eps0mu0

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: Raginar]
      #6059327 - 09/02/13 01:50 PM

Gimp is a good Image manipulation program (I use it for all of my processing needs). It is currently in version 2.8.
This version only supports 8 bit graphics; PS supports 16 bit graphics. This may be an issue for astrophotography. According to the Gimp website, 16 bit support will arrive with version 3.0.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: eps0mu0]
      #6059901 - 09/02/13 07:55 PM

They've been claiming 16-bit support for quite awhile.. we'll see when it happens. However, the other programs fully support 32-bit I believe and a copy of PI is still significantly cheaper than even CS6.

The PI crew says they're working on layers 'because that's where people want them to go', so I'd imagine many of our techniques will change when that occurs.

Still wish they'd develop a de-blooming tool.

ahan.tm

Reged: 01/06/13

Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: Raginar]
      #6065193 - 09/05/13 08:53 PM

The Creative Cloud is actually cheaper than Photoshop if you were to buy a new version every year. You also get a lot of other Adobe products which may(or may not) be useful.

I am a student and pay 19.99 for the Creative Cloud. I get more Adobe products that I can use and I will always have the latest version, unlike upgrading the Master Collection @ ~2600 per release.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: ahan.tm]
      #6072861 - 09/10/13 09:53 AM

And I would ask who buys Photoshop every year? And I think the student rate of $19.99 is lower that for the rest of us.

Actually Adobe's model is the drug maker's model. The reason that the drug companies aren't researching new anti-biotics is that they CURE you and you don't need the drug anymore. There's no money in that. They are currently developing drugs for chronic conditions because once you're diagnosed with the disease you have to take a drug like that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Lots of money there.

Microsoft is doing the same with Office in the cloud.

Scott Janssens

Reged: 07/12/13

Re: Adobe's Creative Cloud - Warning! new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #6087912 - 09/18/13 12:22 PM

You don't have to get the full suite ($50/month). Adobe offers just Photoshop for $20/month. (They seem to have an offer for $10/month at the moment.)

Disclosure: My wife gets Creative Cloud as she uses many Adobe products. One nice feature that may or may not affect users here is the license allows installation on two machines, so I get to use it as well.

Another thing I like about the Creative Cloud is the option to just use it for a month or two (albeit at $75/month). I had a coworker last summer who was making a film and he couldn't afford to shell the $1000+ for Premier. Creative Cloud had just come out and he wasn't aware of it. He now has the option of using Premier for a month or two to edit the film at a much lower cost. Yes, this means he won't have access to his Premier files unless he pays again, but in his case that's not a big concern. Use cases all vary.

In the end, if you purchased each version of CS or just an individual application, the cloud is an ok deal. If you're not a professional and bought every other or every third version, then the cloud is a bitter pill.

As a user, and traditional Adobe hater, I can say they've done a nice job with the installer/updater. (I find my hatred of PDFs somewhat tempered with the full Acrobat installed.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1358

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics