Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6164321 - 10/29/13 10:40 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

This last one is of the Pleiades and it also was on my piggyback mount for 152 seconds.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #6164333 - 10/29/13 10:55 AM

Very nice work. Ya know, its a slippery slope when you start taking pictures of the night sky? At some point, you find you have no money, and it has somehow become "imaging" rather than "photography"

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: zerro1]
      #6164530 - 10/29/13 12:58 PM

Gorgeous shots & shot selection! Thanks for sharing!

I'm not familiar with the lower lot at Sunrise. I take it no lights from the lodge area are visible from there? I just looked at Paradise on Google Earth. Are you talking about the lot you get to by driving past the main lodge then going around behind it?

Robert, I'm sorry about the layoff. I hope it's short . . . but not too short.

I went out after the game last night, too. The 101 / Gibraltar combo is dynamite. A guy can control it easily at all altitudes and maintain az control with a well-placed thumbscrew. With it pointed nearly straight up the focuser has no trouble moving a heavy EP combo (Powermate + 6 mm Ethos). It's tall enough that I'm comfortable viewing at near-zenith with my Stardust chair seat on lowest rung.

I looked at a couple of GCs (M15 & M2). I was disappointed that I couldn't pull any galaxies out of the LP. I tried for NGC 7814 in Peg and M81/82. I have no doubt M31 would have been visible but it was really at zenith. Really, my driveway isn't a very good viewing location. A nearby streetlight illuminates the house across the street and the street itself and sometimes neighbor's lights are in my eyes. Finished off with a nice view of the Pleides (26 mm Nagler, 3.7*, 21X).

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Spaced]
      #6164916 - 10/29/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Gorgeous shots & shot selection! Thanks for sharing!

I'm not familiar with the lower lot at Sunrise. I take it no lights from the lodge area are visible from there? I just looked at Paradise on Google Earth. Are you talking about the lot you get to by driving past the main lodge then going around behind it?

I was at the Paradise area this time; last time I was at Mt. Rainier, in September, it was at Sunrise which is now closed for the season.

The area at Paradise I was at was at the OLD Visitor Center parking lot. The lot that used to be where the old round Visitor Center was and is near the maintenance shed. The NEW Visitor Center is at the same parking lot as the Paradise Inn (which is closed for the season).

The old visitor center parking lot has two parts, an upper and lower. You drive by both as you take the road up to the Paradise Lodge, it's on your left.

I parked and set up near the circle pathway you can see from Google Earth where the OLD round Visitor Center used to be located at. This area had enough smaller trees to block out the lights from the Lodge and also from the maintenance shed.

The sunset was just unbelievable! Venus was up in the sky as well!

It was great viewing until around 11:30 when the Moon rose. By 1:00 AM it was high in the sky and just lit up Mt. Rainier like a spot light and it was a last quarter moon too.

I was able to get a few hours ZZZZ's before waking up to see the dawn come. But I didn't unpack my scope again, so just spotted Mars and Jupiter with my binoculars.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6164991 - 10/29/13 05:18 PM

Funny, I was thinking "Paradise" but it came out "Sunrise."

I think I got it now and I appreciate the explanation. My apparently faulty recollection of the location of the old visitors' center placed it about where the new one now is.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Spaced]
      #6165219 - 10/29/13 07:35 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Disclaimer: I have zero experience combining narrow band data. I had to read a tutorial via my "PHONE"... I got pretty frustrated and walked away for a while.

This image was created with Ha and SII data. Then copied to an external drive, then to a laptop that will talk to my phone...to my phone, then uploaded. (Its made the rounds)

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #6165572 - 10/30/13 12:21 AM

Robert, that is fantastic as it is!

Ha and SII are both kind of red. Here is a tutorial for bicolor imaging:
http://www.starrywonders.com/bicolortechnique.html
Even if you don't follow all the steps, it gives you a basic idea of bicolor imaging. For this method to work, you should have gone Ha and OIII.

May I suggest that you do some OIII and try the Hubble palette? That is, R: S2, G: Ha and B: O3

If you want something closer to RGB, try this:
R: 0.5*S2 + 0.5*Ha
G: 0.15*Ha + 0.85*O3
B: O3

Ajay

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #6165576 - 10/30/13 12:22 AM

Love the star trails over Rainier.

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #6165604 - 10/30/13 12:46 AM

Thanks Ajay. I can't really switch out filters that easy. I'm shooting SII on the flaming star tonight. The OIII will have to come later. I can't use the filter wheel on the reducer scope combo that I'm using.

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #6166084 - 10/30/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

Love the star trails over Rainier.

Ajay

Thanks, Ajay. This was my very first attempt and it didn't come out too bad. There's lots o' room for improvement but that will come in time I hope.

New camera and new tricks to learn.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 *DELETED* new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6166151 - 10/30/13 10:49 AM

Post deleted by csa/montana

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6166393 - 10/30/13 01:17 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

A little northern glow last night

astronomania
sage

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Marysville, Wa.
      #6167277 - 10/30/13 08:48 PM

Great pics Robert and Seawolfe!!!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: astronomania]
      #6167292 - 10/30/13 08:58 PM

I agree. Great work!

Robert, if that's your first try, I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get used to the new camera!

John Harold

Reged: 11/29/06

Loc: Seattle
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6167573 - 10/31/13 12:03 AM

I'm new to this thread, but it seems like it's the appropriate place to post about this observing site I found off I-90, exit 38. Being an avid hiker who likes long hikes with short drives, I thoroughly explore all I-90 options. Now yesterday I loaded my binocular stand, plus my backpacking scope, into my trunk, and went on a favorite hike off Exit 38. Upon return I went to North Bend, got myself dinner, and headed up Forest Road 9020 off Exit 38 about a mile to where it intersects the John Wayne trail. Just high up enough off the South Fork valley floor so as to be above the ultra-cooled air. No lights! The last remaining trail-users left before it was totally dark. I set up and took in my favorite sights including M31, M13, Ring...you name it. Everything except to the South which is pretty much blocked by trees. In autumn there isn't much to the south anyway. One needs a state discover pass to park there, and one nighttime bicyclist cruised by and I just closed my eyes--no big deal. Next time I want to pack up my 100MM (it can fit in the trunk so they can't see it while I'm hiking, and it's not high value like my Zeiss binocs. BTW the name of this location on maps is "Garcia".

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: John Harold]
      #6167648 - 10/31/13 01:16 AM

Thank You Stacy and Ron.
I still got some items to get for the other camera. That narrow band image was shot with the KAF6303E

@ John: Welcome! Is that the exit that has access to the "old wagon road" that takes you up to Dirty Harry's Balcony?

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6168394 - 10/31/13 12:31 PM

Robert, thanks for the usual incredible pictures.

John, I'm glad you decided to join us, and thanks for the intel! I believe I found the place you described on Google Earth. It took me two maps, neither of which labels FS roads (too lazy to dig out my Mt. Baker/Snoq. FS map). Google Earth gives an altitude of ~1630', below the typical winter snow line. I'd definitely be interested in an excursion there when conditions & time allow.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: John Harold]
      #6168653 - 10/31/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm new to this thread, but it seems like it's the appropriate place to post about this observing site I found off I-90, exit 38. Being an avid hiker who likes long hikes with short drives, I thoroughly explore all I-90 options. Now yesterday I loaded my binocular stand, plus my backpacking scope, into my trunk, and went on a favorite hike off Exit 38. Upon return I went to North Bend, got myself dinner, and headed up Forest Road 9020 off Exit 38 about a mile to where it intersects the John Wayne trail. Just high up enough off the South Fork valley floor so as to be above the ultra-cooled air. No lights! The last remaining trail-users left before it was totally dark. I set up and took in my favorite sights including M31, M13, Ring...you name it. Everything except to the South which is pretty much blocked by trees. In autumn there isn't much to the south anyway. One needs a state discover pass to park there, and one nighttime bicyclist cruised by and I just closed my eyes--no big deal. Next time I want to pack up my 100MM (it can fit in the trunk so they can't see it while I'm hiking, and it's not high value like my Zeiss binocs. BTW the name of this location on maps is "Garcia".

Could you map this site for us? I can easily find the exit, but I don't see any "John Wayne" trail, and I don't see the forest rd 9020, just 9021. BTW, welcome to our "group"!

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: SteveG]
      #6168715 - 10/31/13 03:22 PM

Steve, look for "Iron Horse Trail" -- same thing, I think.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 [Re: Spaced]
      #6170451 - 11/01/13 02:58 PM

I'm still confused as to the location. Perhaps the clearing seen here?
https://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=47.422984,-121.626098&spn=0.010961,0.030684&t=h&z=16&q=issaqua+wa&utm_source=mapseditbutton_normal&gw=30&lyt=large_map_v3&hyaw=224.42472033515045

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21440

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics