Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #6103389 - 09/27/13 01:04 AM

Congrats Ajay!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: zerro1]
      #6103465 - 09/27/13 02:50 AM

Good job Ajay!

Goldendale forecast is looking good for next weekend (new moon). Brooks Memorial has a group site that has plenty of room and toilets etc. Trying to get ahold of someone there hasn't been easy but trying to work it out for Oct. 4-6 Friday-Sat-Sun if anybody is interested.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Stacy]
      #6104028 - 09/27/13 11:52 AM

I had planned to go to G/dale that weekend to retrieve my trailer and, weather permitting, stay a couple of days. I think I'll be staying in town, though, since friends scheduled their annual Oktoberfest party that Saturday.

It was the best of times. It was the wurst of times.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Spaced]
      #6104069 - 09/27/13 12:22 PM

Quote:

Lurch

"You rang?"

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6104081 - 09/27/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

My image of the Ring Nebula has been requested for use in the BBC program Sky at Night. They said they want to use it in the next program, but I don't know when that is.

Ajay

Congratulations! Very deserving as that's a fantastic image. I only hope it gets on the program soon. See this thread. Link

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #6104541 - 09/27/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Wow, this really is picture day!

I've just gone through the photos on Ajay's link. My favorite is the shrouded, almost ghostly late evening Luna/Venus shot. That's incredible. I'm also just knocked out by the vibrancy of the colors in your wildflower shots.

Robert, lovely sunset shot. I bet that was a 360* sight, for sure. "The forest service blended that damage in a bit" Great line! Where was the Harts Pass road damage?

Well, money and equipment haven't yet exchanged places but I've bought a scope: a used TV NP101! I think I'm getting another "lifetime scope" for a very good price. The 80 mm was just didn't gather enough light for my preferences, although its small size made for easy handling. The new one, although larger, will retain airline portability. The new one is f/5.4 so I'll have the richest of rich-field views; my Pan 41 will give a true field of 4.9*! I love big views.

Nice buy Mike. The np101 is lighter and shorter than mine with better color correction. I don't think my scope has bad color correction so better is great. Plus, I had to buy a heavier mount than I wanted to, you shouldn't have to. Did you get the one with the feathertouch?

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#6104592 - 09/27/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Good job Ajay!

Goldendale forecast is looking good for next weekend (new moon). Brooks Memorial has a group site that has plenty of room and toilets etc. Trying to get ahold of someone there hasn't been easy but trying to work it out for Oct. 4-6 Friday-Sat-Sun if anybody is interested.

That sounds interesting. Are you bringing your RV? I an not sure if I can commit to come yet. I do need to get out though.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #6104832 - 09/27/13 07:37 PM

Thank you Robert, Stacy and Carol.

They said they wanted to include it in the next program. According to the published schedule, that is Oct 6 and 7. Now how does one view it from the US? The on line offering requires the BBC i-player which only works if used from within the UK.

Ajay

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6106058 - 09/28/13 02:16 PM

STAR PARTY EARLY WARNING SYSTEM ALERT
THIS IS NOT A TEST

For those of you who keep calendars far in advance, Pixieland will be the weekend of May 30, 2014. I know I mentioned a June date a couple of months ago, so this is a change from what I said before. The tradeoff is that we are chancing cooler and possibly worser weather in exchange for longer nights.

Come on boys and gamble
Shake those laughing bones
Seven come eleven, boys
I'll take your money home.

-- Robt. Hunter

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6106073 - 09/28/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Plus, I had to buy a heavier mount than I wanted to, you shouldn't have to. Did you get the one with the feathertouch?

Hi, Sean. Yes, this has the F/touch and Starbeam finder.

My mount is plenty sturdy, but one thing I didn't anticipate: My Voyager mount suspends the scope from the side, not from underneath. The finder is fixed on the Televue clamshell ring/adapter plate opposite where it mates with the mount. This results in the finder's location on the *side* of the scope instead of on top. It will be a bit clumsy and the scope will block the right side of my open eye view when I want to use the finder. I'll see how it works but I suspect I'm going to want a different setup. I may have an excellent tripod/mount for sale!

In my recent perusals through Astromart I've seen a couple of (used) T/vue Gibraltar tripods & the cradle for sale.

Edit: turns out there's a second slot on the clamshell where I was able to move the Finder to a different position where it's higher --still on the side but above instead of below the midline. I can use it like this!

Edited by Spaced (09/28/13 10:01 PM)

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #6106753 - 09/28/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

STAR PARTY EARLY WARNING SYSTEM ALERT
THIS IS NOT A TEST

For those of you who keep calendars far in advance, Pixieland will be the weekend of May 30, 2014. I know I mentioned a June date a couple of months ago, so this is a change from what I said before. The tradeoff is that we are chancing cooler and possibly worser weather in exchange for longer nights.

Come on boys and gamble
Shake those laughing bones
Seven come eleven, boys
I'll take your money home.

-- Robt. Hunter

Hi Mike! ha ha, just throw a reminder out once in a while. I can't make plans a month in advance most of the time let alone... All I can say is that when you have the gathering, I'll try to make it.

I checked the weather at Slate again It's over for the season. Theyre expecting 4 to 8 inches just tonight, with winds up to 55mph. Snow through Wednesday night and then friday night... rain. It might take significant work to re-open next year. Glad I at least got one last sunset up there before it turned sour.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6107203 - 09/29/13 10:44 AM

Quote:

They said they wanted to include it in the next program. According to the published schedule, that is Oct 6 and 7. Now how does one view it from the US? The on line offering requires the BBC i-player which only works if used from within the UK.

Ajay

That's the pits. I hope someway we can be able to view it. I wonder if there's DVD's covering the program.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#6108050 - 09/29/13 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Plus, I had to buy a heavier mount than I wanted to, you shouldn't have to. Did you get the one with the feathertouch?

Hi, Sean. Yes, this has the F/touch and Starbeam finder.

My mount is plenty sturdy, but one thing I didn't anticipate: My Voyager mount suspends the scope from the side, not from underneath. The finder is fixed on the Televue clamshell ring/adapter plate opposite where it mates with the mount. This results in the finder's location on the *side* of the scope instead of on top. It will be a bit clumsy and the scope will block the right side of my open eye view when I want to use the finder. I'll see how it works but I suspect I'm going to want a different setup. I may have an excellent tripod/mount for sale!

In my recent perusals through Astromart I've seen a couple of (used) T/vue Gibraltar tripods & the cradle for sale.

Edit: turns out there's a second slot on the clamshell where I was able to move the Finder to a different position where it's higher --still on the side but above instead of below the midline. I can use it like this!

I sold the starbeam because with that amazing wide view, things just fall into the eyepiece. My comments on the mount were telling you what you already discovered. The np101 is lighter and more compact than the genesis sdf by a pretty large margin. My scope weighs the same as a modern 5" (possibly). Everyone who has one or picks mine up says something like, "wow, that's built like a tank". That scope is going to be so cool for you set up next to Sugaree. It does well what that large scope does not and visa versa. Goldendale and 4.5* fields go together like pbnj. You will enjoy that scope.

seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6108642 - 09/30/13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ajay

That's the pits. I hope someway we can be able to view it. I wonder if there's DVD's covering the program.

Most Barn's & Nobel stores carry The Sky at Night magazine. Each magazine comes with a CD with the previous month's episode on it plus a lot of other goodies. I used to pick it up every month but then got my own subscription so that I could get the current month's issue that month.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6109050 - 09/30/13 10:56 AM

Quote:

Hi Mike! ha ha, just throw a reminder out once in a while.

I'll start a thread sometime earlyish next year.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6109058 - 09/30/13 11:04 AM

There's no Barnes & Nobel around here, and $78 for 12 issues is much too expensive for me to subscribe to.

At least with the CD with the issue, Ajay will have his photo in print, as well as on CD! Quite a keepsake for a great accomplishment!

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6110485 - 10/01/13 01:37 AM

I've asked one of my relatives in England if they can DVR it. We'll see.

Ajay

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6111180 - 10/01/13 01:01 PM

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

Happy BIRTH DAY dear Mi~ike

Happy birthday to you!

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6111203 - 10/01/13 01:13 PM

Nice band. Thanks!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 [Re: Spaced]
      #6111205 - 10/01/13 01:16 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Hey, Happy Birthday!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics