Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Power for an AZ EQ6 mount new
      #6052700 - 08/29/13 02:37 PM

I wish to buy a regulated 12v DC power supply for my AZ EQ6 mount.

Will one with 4 amps be ok for the mount?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Power for an AZ EQ6 mount new [Re: HowardK]
      #6054047 - 08/30/13 09:29 AM

Hi Howard,

According to the manual the mount requires "DC11~16V 4A". I have a Pyramid 10amp power supply. I have had no issues with it. I have used it with several Celestron mounts as well as the AZ-EQ6. Pyramid does have smaller ones, but in looking through some of the Amazon reviews, it seems that the actual amperage on some of the Pyramid power supplies is more like half of what Pyramid rates it as so you better double check.

JohnD

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Power for an AZ EQ6 mount new [Re: johnpd]
      #6054157 - 08/30/13 10:51 AM

Is it ok then to have a supply with more stated amps than the mount requires...ie....a 10a supply when the mount requires 4a?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Power for an AZ EQ6 mount [Re: HowardK]
      #6054269 - 08/30/13 11:50 AM

Howard,

Yes, electrical devices only draw the amperage they require. So a 10amp supply is just fine for a 4amp load.

There seems to be a trend recently by Celestron and Synta to up the stated power requirements for their mounts (rarely do any mounts of any type require more than amp for each motor when slewing at the fastest speeds). Where 1.5 to 2 amps were once fine we're now seeing 4-5 amp requirements. I don't think this is just the vendors trying to sell bigger power supplies it's likely more to do with a little extra insurance ... a bigger power supply will run cooler and last longer than one that's being loaded down closer to it's full rated capacity, and a desire to reduce support calls. A bigger power supply is likely to never have an issue even under the worst conditions (overloaded mount in cold conditions) where a smaller one might occasionally have a problem when "abused" like that but would be fine for everyone else all the time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 282

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics