Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
vandkc

Reged: 04/29/13

Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new
      #5993662 - 07/27/13 09:01 PM Attachment (106 downloads)

Approximately a 5 minute exposure on Kodak Gold 400 taken with a Pentax K1000 and inexpensive 50mm Ricoh lens working at f/2.8 I am really liking the way this film captures the colors. I cannot remember ever using it in the past, but I will definitely use it in the future. This was the only astro shot I took with this roll, with the exception of a couple of star trail shots which were made under less than Ideal conditions, so I will need to get out there and shoot some more soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hills3

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Lynchburg, Tn
Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new [Re: vandkc]
      #5995319 - 07/28/13 07:02 PM

I like the shot. Real color.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new [Re: hills3]
      #5996417 - 07/29/13 11:55 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #5998948 - 07/30/13 07:00 PM

Very nice vandkc. Colors are the strong side of film.

vandkc

Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new [Re: Michal1]
      #6012842 - 08/08/13 02:18 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Thanks for the compliments. I took a few more last week with a different roll and a couple of shots came out real nice in spite of the poor tracking that I was suffering with. I am still working with my scanner to get optimal results as far as colors and density goes, but the prints from the local developer came out real nice. Here is a pic made from a negative scan that was processed a bit of the Aquila region. 10 minutes on Kodak gold 400 50 mm Yashica lens working at f/2

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #6014516 - 08/08/13 08:22 PM

Nice, very very nice...

ETXer

Reged: 09/03/09

Loc: Rockville, MD USA
Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #6054405 - 08/30/13 12:57 PM

Excellent! This is exactly the type thing I want to do, thanks for the exposure data! My first attempt at this last year was ok, but washed out due to the Moon at my back when shooting in the Perseus area. Unfortunately due to my work schedule and family activities I haven't been able to re-attempt it yet when the conditions are ideal. Your results will give me a better starting point.

What do you feel were the advantages/disadvantages shooting at f/2 at 10 minutes versus f/2.8 at five minutes? It looks like there's more stellar density and individual color; did you do in-between exposures that ended up looking the same as the 10 minute exposure? Cheers, Allan

vandkc

Re: Scorpius on Kodak Gold 400 [Re: ETXer]
      #6059993 - 09/02/13 09:04 PM

Allan,

Thanks for the positive comments. I was not really trying to do anything clever with my exposures and f stops. Basically, I had some Gold 400 in my Pentax K1000 which has a f/2 50mm lens on it when I was shooting some medium format film in July. I was done with my medium format roll and it was getting late and I was ready to wrap things up but I still had a couple of shots left on the roll in the Pentax so I swapped the cameras and took a couple of shots with the Pentax. I had never done any astrophotography with the lens on this camera so I stopped it down one stop from wide open as a way to prevent vignetting, hence the 2.8 setting. I only took a five minute shot since I was getting ready to go and was a bit impatient. Also the southern sky from that point looks right back at Green Bay, so there is always some light pollution in that region and I did not want excessive exposure at that position.

When I went back out with the second roll, I had loaded my Yashica, which has a f/1.4 lens, so I stopped it down to f/2. A also had more time to make some exposures so I went for 10 minutes this time instead of 5. Different part of the sky as well so less light pollution. Again, nothing tricky, just trying different settings.

The biggest problem for my set up is polar alignment as I am using a Celesatr 8 on the dreaded wedgepod, which kind of sucks for alignment since you have to move the entire tripod to make any adjustments. I typically end up getting poor shots due to my alignment issues, but I am getting a little better at it each time I go out. In order to get any good shots I really have to drive out into the country so my time is limited once I get in the actual field. But I enjoy it and will keep doing it as long as I can. I may go digital at some point, but for now, I am happy experimenting with film, although the development costs are beginning to rise locally and I am now sending all of my film out. I enjoy the look and feel of film and like using the older equipment, but my mount needs to be upgraded at some point.

Thanks again for looking!

ETXer

Reged: 09/03/09

Loc: Rockville, MD USA
      #6112973 - 10/02/13 11:36 AM

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, my activities have been on hold for a while! Thanks for your detailed answer, this is exactly what I need to know. I have an old (but perfectly working) Pentax H1a and a Yashica TL Electro to piggyback on my C8. I just need to get an opportunity to do it! Cheers, Allan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1158

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics