Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
DS2000 Mount Question?
      #6061129 - 09/03/13 02:20 PM

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to post, so I'll start here.

I just recently picked up a used DS2000 mount with Autostar hand-box to use with my refactor scope. I'm tired of trying to track down faint fuzzballs and have been spoiled with my GOTO Meade scopes.

I tried out some basic setups for alignment and the motors sound terrible...mostly in the tracking mode. Kind of makes the same noise as my ETX and LS when slewing, but after it locates an object and starts to track, it makes a pretty irritating growling motor sound.

This does not sound "normal" to me and this excessive noise would continue to irritate me at the eyepiece!

Any thoughts about it, or perhaps it's defective??

Thanks,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

Re: DS2000 Mount Question? new [Re: REC]
      #6062436 - 09/04/13 10:35 AM

I had the same problem with a brand new DS2000 that I bought. The motor would make horrible "grinding" noises. It was defective and since it was still under warranty I contacted Meade and shipped it back to them at their cost (telephoned them first). They sent me a new one about 4 weeks later.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: DS2000 Mount Question? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #6062728 - 09/04/13 01:49 PM

Sounds like mine, did the new one sound a lot better when just tracking?

When did this happen to you?

I mean the noise of the motors slewing are a little loud, but not much more than some of my other Meade scopes.

Thanks!

Bob

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

#6064017 - 09/05/13 09:33 AM

Quote:

Sounds like mine, did the new one sound a lot better when just tracking?

When did this happen to you?

I mean the noise of the motors slewing are a little loud, but not much more than some of my other Meade scopes.

I bought mine new and the very first time I tried it out it had this problem. I tested it out by having it slew in RA towards the east and did a complete 360 degree circle. It would slew smoothly for about 135 degrees, and then would make a loud, horrible grinding noise for about 45 degrees. Then the noise would stop and it would continue slewing smoothly (with little noise) in the same direction for another 135 degrees before concluding with another round of loud, obnoxious grinding sound.

The new one sounds great! It makes the usual low slewing motor noise, but no loud, horrible grinding sound whatsoever.

REC
Post Laureate

#6064433 - 09/05/13 01:18 PM

Thanks for your reply. So when did you purchase it? The slewing sound it typical I would say, but not the tracking noise for sure and it is very irritating.

I'm going to contact Meade and see if they have any suggestions.

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

#6065901 - 09/06/13 10:54 AM

I bought mine in late March, 2009. I purchased it from Highpoint which is one of Meade's approved vendors. Highpoint offered to take it back and refund my money immediatey, but I liked the scope and Highpoint had sold it to me on sale for around $225. So I opted to send it back to Meade and get a new one since it was still on warranty.

REC
Post Laureate

#6067405 - 09/07/13 09:06 AM

So, the new one was definitely quieter in the tracking mode? Do you still have it?

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
      #6077997 - 09/12/13 11:31 PM

My Meade StarNavigator 102 is a DS2102 apparently (there were stickers on the outer plain thick cardboard box shipping cartons covering "DS2102" up before they fell off!) and makes a heck of a noise when slewing at 9 speed, but also makes a noticeable noise when just tracking normally, I wouldn't say the tracking noise was loud at all, just very noticeable and very audible and quite irritating sometimes.

My friend Jon H. got one at the same time, his optics were barely 1/2 wave with a load of Astigmatism, mine are 1/4 wave for SA with some astig but I can still get a fair Airy Disc at 200x but it's a little distorted due to separation of the colors due to some pretty bad Chromatic Aberration. But if I stop the lens down to 80mm it all gets much better, albeit with a drop in resolution, and if I stop down to 50mm the Star Test is perfect at 100x. So I can't complain too much. Epsilon Lyrae (double double) is easy to split and looks great at 100x and even at 200x. Jupiter looks pretty bad at 200x compared to Jon's LX90 8" ACF though, but at 100x it looks fine and with fair detail, the Moon looks fine at 200x with my SN102 also. Jon's SN102 couldn't be used above 100x...

I didn't want to send my whole 'scope back to the dealer since I might well have ended up with the same or worse optics as Jon did with his. My SN102's mount tracks fairly well at high power but the tripod is a very wobbly affair. Goto's are pretty fair as well.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad (09/12/13 11:34 PM)

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

#6078137 - 09/13/13 01:38 AM

Yes, I still have it. I brought just the GoTo arm with me over here to China. I plan to put it on a homemade tripod and then mount my Bosma 80mm refractor on it that I bought over here cheaply. It will make a nice "grab and go" scope.

I still remember the first time I saw an object with my DS2000. I was brand new to astronomy and spent about an hour in vain trying to manually locate M51 through an old Meade 230SC-500 8" SCT. I then put the DS2000 to work. I told it to do a GoTo to M13 and when I peered in the eyepiece there it was! Still a great memory as that was the very first DSO I had ever seen with my own scope.

After finding M13 with the DS2000, I was able to easily direct the Meade SCT there as well.

I upgraded the controller from an Autostar 495 handbox to a 497 handbox. I can control the scope quite easily with my Starry Night planetarium program or even with Meade's free Autostar Suite software.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 441

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics