Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
Mogster
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/04

Loc: Manchester, England
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Sorny]
      #6244056 - 12/10/13 03:29 AM

That's a shame because presumably that means you won't be able to use use Starsense for auto alignment then Sky Safari as a touchscreen HC replacement.

Currently I use the standard HC and SkySafari by cable. I align with the HC then I can use either the HC or Sky Safari on the I
Ipad interchangeably without breaking the alignment. Apparently using SkyQ input totally misses out the HC, input via the HC breaks the alignment, yes.

What is like to do is align with Starsense then use SkyQ Skysafari on the iPad or the HC interchangeably. It doesn't sound like that will be possible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Garin

Reged: 02/15/13

Loc: Western Australia, Australia
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6263041 - 12/20/13 05:16 AM

Will SS3 still be supported? I'm not real keen on updating my iPhone 4S and iPad2 to ios7

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Garin]
      #6263230 - 12/20/13 09:07 AM

We are not planning further work on SS 3.

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: btschumy]
      #6263396 - 12/20/13 10:23 AM

I'll upgrade to SS4 Pro, but only for one of my iPads for evaluation.. Otherwise, I'll still use SS3 on my iPhone 4s. I really dislike almost everything about IOS7 and looking at SS4 screenshots that follow the IOS7's icon design failures....ugh...

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Markovich]
      #6263513 - 12/20/13 11:14 AM

Mark,

Of course I'm biased but I think we did a beautiful job of incorporating the iOS 7 design features. Most people don't like the lack of contrast in iOS 7, but I don't think that is an issue with SkySafari given its dark theme.

What particularly don't you like?

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6263545 - 12/20/13 11:34 AM

Quote:

Mark,

Of course I'm biased but I think we did a beautiful job of incorporating the iOS 7 design features. Most people don't like the lack of contrast in iOS 7, but I don't think that is an issue with SkySafari given its dark theme.

Indeed. I sometimes think that with iOS 7 Apple was trying to deliberately tweak those of us that are starting to need reading glasses.

But the SkySafari 4.0 release is very legible, actually quite beautiful in virtually every respect. Very fast and supple on my iPad Mini. The new scope control menu is great. The new feature set is strong. While people will always ask for more feature, there is nothing not to like in the this release.

As much as I have enjoyed 3.x I think I have used it for the last time.

IMHO 4.0 is a bargain at twice the normal price, a steal at the intro price.

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6263574 - 12/20/13 11:52 AM

You've been bought out by the Starry Night folks Bill?

http://www.southernstars.com/company/news/2013-12-20.html

The way they let Starry Night wither on the vine is why I use SkySafari today.

Disappointed, as they don't seem like a company that puts their customers first, but rather markets a product with no ongoing development, and then throws that product away when they're done with it.

Hope I'm wrong in the case of SkySafari.

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: silverking]
      #6263582 - 12/20/13 11:57 AM

I'm buying a 64gb iPhone 5S tonight. Seems like a perfect time to finally get SS Pro. Great timing for 4 to arrive!

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: silverking]
      #6263599 - 12/20/13 12:06 PM

Quote:

You've been bought out by the Starry Night folks Bill?

http://www.southernstars.com/company/news/2013-12-20.html

The way they let Starry Night wither on the vine is why I use SkySafari today.

Disappointed, as they don't seem like a company that puts their customers first, but rather markets a product with no ongoing development, and then throws that product away when they're done with it.

Hope I'm wrong in the case of SkySafari.

I must admit that worried me too when I saw the news - there hasn't been any substantial updates to Starry Night in years. Is Simulation Curriculum committed to supporting continued development of SkySafari?
...Keith

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: microstar]
      #6263751 - 12/20/13 01:28 PM

Yeah, I find that very concerning. Sky Safari is a great app and I would hate to see it wither. :/

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: WesC]
      #6263798 - 12/20/13 01:58 PM

Guys, have no fear. We wouldn't have joined with Simulation Curriculum without a strong understanding that Tim and I would be able to continue to develop SkySafari as we have in the past. I think we will be able to leverage each other's strengths and do great things together.

Bill

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

#6263863 - 12/20/13 02:28 PM

Great to hear that's the set-up Bill.

BTW, V.4 Pro looks stunning in iOS 7!

swsantos
sage

Reged: 09/29/05

Loc: Rhode Island
      #6264311 - 12/20/13 07:01 PM

Like perhaps a Windows version of Sky Safari so I can uninstall Starry Night that I never use anymore because I have Sky Safari? Would be cool to create observing plans with Sky Safari for Windows and send them on over to its tablet counterpart then send back the observing logs to the computer.

Drooling now must stop...

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
      #6264347 - 12/20/13 07:31 PM

Quote:

Mark,

What particularly don't you like?

Hi Bill, The bottom row of icons which in SS3 were white against a black background, while is SS4 ( at least looking at your screenshots ) appear to be dark blue ( outline only) against a black background. To me that is a step backwards in usability and function. It's a design choice that Apple implemented ( one might say, "inflicted") upon users in IOS7. Ideally, I'd like a preference to give me solid white icons like SS3. I'd also be concerned how well the default icons show up when in night vision mode out in the dark. Most users who use their iPad/iPhone at the scope in the dark are also using a red screen cover to further dim the screen. So, I'm assuming those outlined icons will likely be difficult to be seen due to their lower contrast. At age 52, that will be an issue for me:)

To me, IOS7 looks like it was made by Fisher Price ( or Avon) , with a cute eye candy design. It's a chick OS now.....I'll be the last holdout on IOS6 ..I'll turn out the lights after the party is over:)

Thanks for your ear Bill!

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Markovich]
      #6264358 - 12/20/13 07:43 PM

The icon color is actually a fairly light blue and shows up very well against the dark background. I lightened the default color just for this purpose.

At night when you use a red film, you want to either select a monochrome screen or use night vision. With the monochrome screen all icons and buttons are white. With night vision they are red. In either case they show through a red film just fine.

We really did think through this stuff.

Bill

ilovecomets

Reged: 09/21/12

Loc: New England
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: swsantos]
      #6264361 - 12/20/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Like perhaps a Windows version of Sky Safari so I can uninstall Starry Night that I never use anymore because I have Sky Safari? Would be cool to create observing plans with Sky Safari for Windows and send them on over to its tablet counterpart then send back the observing logs to the computer.

Drooling now must stop...

+1000000 for this. A windows version is about the only good I can see coming out of this purchase. Except for some extra $$$$ for Bill and Tim. Kudos to them for all their hard work.

But seriously has Simulation Curriculum actually released anything in the past 8 years? Starry Night Pro Plus 6 was my favorite planetarium software from about 2006-2010 when it basically stopped working.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: ilovecomets]
      #6264740 - 12/21/13 01:47 AM

Bill, I am planning on getting an iPad Mini to replace my iPad Gen 1 for use with Sky Safari. Two questions... Does the Retina display really make much of a difference espcially in low light and with a rubylith film over the screen? Does having the cellular option provide any kind of edge over the wifi version as far as accuracy of location (cellular has GPS unit) is concerned? I pretty much just use my ipad for controlling my scope so i do not need those features for anything else. Thanks.

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #6264921 - 12/21/13 08:37 AM

Sergio,

I don't think the retina display is as important at night as it is during the day. That is because our acuity is so much less in the dim light. It might help a bit in seeing faint, small stars on the screen.

I wouldn't get the cellular option just for the GPS. I find I generally have a pretty good idea of the Lat / Lon where I'm observing. Doesn't need to be exact, just within 20 or 30 miles.

That said, if you don't carry a smart cell phone, it can be pretty useful to look things up when away from a wireless hotspot.

Bill

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #6264925 - 12/21/13 08:41 AM

I don't have the the first gen ipad but I do have the fourth gen ipad, the gen ipad mini, and the retina ipad mini. The ipad 4 has a very bright backli display that is difficult to dim down to a reasonable level. The minis are better in this regard and the retina mini will dim down to a lower level then the 1st mini. The backlight on the new mini is also a little bit dimmer than the first. There is also a noticeable difference in the resolution between the minis in low light. Just be aware of the difference in size of the screens, some peoples eyes won't do well with the mini. Charts are much easier to read on the larger screens, I almost wish I had gotten the Ipad Air.

Arizona-Ken
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/08

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: demiles]
      #6264980 - 12/21/13 09:32 AM

The update was announced by a happy user at our club Christmas party last night. I'm out and about early this morning, but will download it later today. Although the program must apparently be repurchased as it is a new total revision, the 50% off for a limited time is a great marketing move for us loyal fans.

I am also a Starry Night Pro fan too, as it was the best Mac program for its time. It still runs well on my 6 year old Mac. I'll probably update my Mac in 2014, as it is time, so I'll get the OSX version of Sky Safari when I get the new hardware.

It is actually pretty incredible as Starry Night Pro is still well north of $100 for an old program, while Sky Safari is so modestly priced. I mean when you consider how much we often pay for an eyepiece, software as sophisticated and easy to use as Sky Safari is a real bargain.

Congratulations to Bill and the team, and I hope the acquisition brings you the resources to continue with this fine software program.

Arizona Ken

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16204

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics