Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: demiles]
      #6264998 - 12/21/13 09:40 AM

Just downloaded SkySafari 4 Pro while watching the spacewalk outside the ISS. Looks great! And it is nice to have 4 Pro's icon on my iPad right next to SkySafari three (Pro). I will play around with four for a while and then see if I can delete 3 as well as AstroAid and AstroPlanner apps. Looks like I will still have to build or import (?) a Herschel 400 list, however. Next: I will have to order sky wire and see how that works with my scopes. Fun Saturday!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
elwah

Reged: 10/10/12

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: ScottAz]
      #6265017 - 12/21/13 09:52 AM

When will the Android version be released?

Poochpa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/12/05

Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: paulabel]
      #6265120 - 12/21/13 11:06 AM

After reviewing the list of new features in SS4, I'm disappointed to see that it includes things like animated meteor showers instead of the following which I and others have been requesting since 2011: A quick data screen to show sun set, astronomical twilight and moon rise/set times, or even better, a month of this info on one scrollable screen or in calendar format. This would have been especially helpful for astrophotography planning. Oh well, still a great app in any event.
Mike

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: elwah]
      #6265480 - 12/21/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

When will the Android version be released?

We are working on it but plan on 1 to 2 months.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Poochpa]
      #6265489 - 12/21/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

After reviewing the list of new features in SS4, I'm disappointed to see that it includes things like animated meteor showers instead of the following which I and others have been requesting since 2011: A quick data screen to show sun set, astronomical twilight and moon rise/set times, or even better, a month of this info on one scrollable screen or in calendar format. This would have been especially helpful for astrophotography planning. Oh well, still a great app in any event.
Mike

Well, believe it or not, lots of folks have asked about meteor showers as well. Probably more than have requested what you want.

Look, we can't do everything. There are other astronomy apps out there that will do what you are asking. Nothing says you can't use more than one app.

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: btschumy]
      #6265576 - 12/21/13 04:06 PM

Downloading observation lists from the Southern Stars Yahoo group worked exactly as described in SkySafari 4's help section ... fabulous! I now have the Herschel lists for all four seasons and the "Pensack 500" to play around with. And WOW is the new Pro version FAST! (And pretty!)

Thank you, Bill!!

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: ScottAz]
      #6265638 - 12/21/13 04:37 PM

Going from SS3 Basic on an iPhone 4S to SS4 Pro on a 5S was an amazing shift. What a great piece of software. Well done!

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Zamboni]
      #6265873 - 12/21/13 06:53 PM

I second all the praise for SS4. I just bought it yesterday and it's awesome!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #6266116 - 12/21/13 10:11 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Quote:

Sergio,

I don't think the retina display is as important at night as it is during the day. That is because our acuity is so much less in the dim light. It might help a bit in seeing faint, small stars on the screen.

I wouldn't get the cellular option just for the GPS. I find I generally have a pretty good idea of the Lat / Lon where I'm observing. Doesn't need to be exact, just within 20 or 30 miles.

That said, if you don't carry a smart cell phone, it can be pretty useful to look things up when away from a wireless hotspot.

Bill

Bill/Demiles... I went ahead an purchased a 16GB iPad Mini with AT&T but no Retina Display. I installed the new Sky Safari Pro 4 and it really looks and feels nice. I have not gotten to play around with it and the scope yet but I am really digging the list sort options, a feature that I have wanted more than any other. It may take some time to get used to the much smaller size and lighter weight of the Mini, quite a difference. Bill as always, many thanks to you, Tim and the rest of the Southern Stars crew for making a great product superb!!! Merry Christmas.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #6266174 - 12/21/13 11:02 PM

Looking good Sergio! I think the Mini may be the perfect size for wireless goto control, and I'm very interested in your opinion at the scope. I already purchased SSv4 Pro.

You know you're going to make me spend more money...

See you at the WSP!

Edited by Vic Menard (12/21/13 11:05 PM)

jhkayakr

Reged: 02/01/09

Loc: east coast USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #6266180 - 12/21/13 11:11 PM

Pro 3 really is a great app. and works flawlessly with my CPC 800.
Is it worth it to upgrade to Pro 4 from Pro 3? What are the differences?
I have ios7 already running.

inZet

Reged: 02/12/09

Loc: Milan, Italy
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: jhkayakr]
      #6266414 - 12/22/13 04:51 AM

I'll not upgrade, v4 runs on iOS 7 only. I'm disappointed. If a new v3 (3.9?) release will came out including a complete WDS, even charging it, I'll reconsider my decision.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: jhkayakr]
      #6266641 - 12/22/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Pro 3 really is a great app. and works flawlessly with my CPC 800.
Is it worth it to upgrade to Pro 4 from Pro 3?

I like to support software companies that are responsive to their users, and I also like being given the opportunity to get a discounted price for being an early adopter--so for me it's a win-win. I've supported Sky Safari since its inception, and Voyager since v1.2. The current pricing, in my opinion, makes the feature-rich Sky Safari application one of the "best" values in astronomy software.

Quote:

What are the differences?

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari/whats_new.html

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6266911 - 12/22/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Guys, have no fear. We wouldn't have joined with Simulation Curriculum without a strong understanding that Tim and I would be able to continue to develop SkySafari as we have in the past. I think we will be able to leverage each other's strengths and do great things together.

Bill

This is a bit scary. I rely on Skysafari for its great detail compared to the disappointment of Starry Night Enthusiast with basically no customer support.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: NeilMac]
      #6266944 - 12/22/13 01:56 PM

I have the iPad Air, iPad 3rd version with retina display and the first iPad mini. I find with a red screen overlay, my eyes appreciate the larger format screen. I no longer use the iPad mini or iPhone for for dark site astronomy due to difficulty reading the smaller text. I am 56 so my eyes need a bit more help.

I just started the version 4 pro download and am looking forward to using it.

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: JMW]
      #6267251 - 12/22/13 05:01 PM

For those using the ipad mini, you can magnify the screen with a three finger double tap on the screen. You can turn it on under Settings/General/Accessibility/Zoom.

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
      #6267375 - 12/22/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Well, believe it or not, lots of folks have asked about meteor showers as well. Probably more than have requested what you want.

Look, we can't do everything. There are other astronomy apps out there that will do what you are asking. Nothing says you can't use more than one app.

I'm with Mike on this one.

I could care less about animated meteor showers, hopefully they can be turned off. A quick data screen in calendar format would be great and very useful.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #6267426 - 12/22/13 07:14 PM

Try SolarCalc.
It's free.
Or Twilight & Moon Calendar for 99 cents...

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #6267467 - 12/22/13 07:48 PM

Good call, Vic. I also recommend SolarCalc....

ordep
Vendor

Reged: 04/24/11

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: ilovecomets]
      #6267495 - 12/22/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

But seriously has Simulation Curriculum actually released anything in the past 8 years? Starry Night Pro Plus 6 was my favorite planetarium software from about 2006-2010 when it basically stopped working.

Hi,

Our last feature update was in 2011 (version 6.4 - particle galaxies, hour angle lines, new horizon panoramas), followed by some minor features and mostly bug fixes since then. We are currently at 6.4.3. http://tinyurl.com/ktdxvgn

I'm sorry to hear Starry Night stopped working for you. It's compatible from Windows XP to Windows 8 and from Mac OS X 10.4 and higher. If you have one of those operating systems, feel free to contact us (we have extensive support) or me offline and I'm sure we'll get it running for you.

I agree that we have been at version 6 for a while. We have however been working hard over the last few months to change that.

I should also say that Simulation Curriculum might be a new name but we are essentially the same team that brought you Starry Night - including founding developers, who are still actively working on the code.

We have also expanded in education, in the planetarium and into other subject areas. As a company we've never been healthier, and are looking forward to meeting your expectations and delivering new products.

Pedro
Simulation Curriculum

Edited by ordep (12/22/13 08:12 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13032

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics