Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: btschumy]
      #6275985 - 12/27/13 07:27 PM

Will do!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rustyprice

Reged: 12/17/13

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Zamboni]
      #6278264 - 12/28/13 11:40 PM

I downloaded Sky Safari 4 Pro on my iPad Air, wow! Clearly a well thought out app., nice work. I'm mostly new to astronomy so may be missing something, but I was playing around with the "meteor showers" feature and couldn't find a sort by peak date, am I missing something here? Would be nice to have the showers sorted by date.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: rustyprice]
      #6278680 - 12/29/13 08:39 AM

We will try to add sorting by peak date in a future release. That sorting characteristic doesn't fit with the other object types so it wasn't immediately obvious how best to add it.

cilio

Reged: 12/29/13

#6279333 - 12/29/13 02:55 PM

I downloaded Sky Safari 4 (Plus) today.
I have been playing with it on and off all day - I must say I am extremely impressed!
I think the general look and polish of the User Interface has been implemented very well, and I feel fits in with the IOS 7 intended ‘look and feel’. Love the search features, and the general smooth scrolling of the display (running on a iPhone 5). Well done the developers.

One small request (probably dependant upon your external databases you use) - any chance of adding the new Gaia astronomical satellite to the app’s database ? This is Europe's most advanced astronomy satellite yet, and fits in with this astronomy app!

I am working at the European Space Agency in Darmstadt (Germany), currently for the Gaia astronomical Star mapping satellite that was launched very recently (currently heading for a parking slot at the L2 Lagrangian point for start of observations). Gaia’s star catalogue will, compared to the previous Hipparcos mission, bring a gain of a factor 50 to 100 in star mapping accuracy, and a factor of 10,000 in star numbers when the star catalogue is eventual completed. Would love to track Gaia with the app !

Keep up the good work !

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: cilio]
      #6279688 - 12/29/13 06:20 PM

Our satellite code is set up for Earth orbiting satellites. Gaia orbits the Sun and cannot currently be displayed. Maybe in a future release.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #6280783 - 12/30/13 10:25 AM

I have had SS3 Pro for over a year now and have loved it. Got it on sale during the Venus transit of 2012. When I saw SS4 Pro go on sale for half off, I jumped at it. My reasons for purchasing it were:

1. Many more stars than SS3.
2. I figured eventually SS3 will no longer be supported
3. Ability to setup more field of views
4. I was going to have to move to iOS7 eventually.

I think Southern Stars has achieved a good balance of keeping much of the functionality the same for us existing users with some nice improvements.

My only gripe is that the field of view setup appears to be limited. I would like to be able to configure my own telescopes, eyepieces and cameras like I can do in Stellarium. Perhaps there is a way and I just don't see it. Is there a file that can be edited for this?

Edit: Never mind on the gripe. I RTFMed and discovered I could setup my own equipment using the Equipment setup under telescopes.

Paulimer

Reged: 08/08/03

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: paulabel]
      #6293159 - 01/05/14 02:11 AM

Bill,
Are there any plans to include mosaic imaging assistance? Even a manually input coordinate option (not centering on stars or objects only) would be very useful.

btschumy

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Paulimer]
      #6293445 - 01/05/14 09:39 AM

We really do have any special imaging feature planned. Neither Tim nor I are imagers and you do what you know.

You can center on arbitrary coordinates.

1. Center the chart on the coordinates you want to GoTo using the Coordinates settings.
2. Tap the Target field in the scope control panel. The label should change to Chart Center.
3. Do a GoTo.

I fully admit this is somewhat obscure. We have talked about making it more explicit in a future release.

Edited by btschumy (01/05/14 09:40 AM)

Paulimer

Reged: 08/08/03

Loc: Hong Kong
      #6294671 - 01/05/14 07:44 PM

Get that, thanks.
It would be even nicer if I can save the list of coordinates like the observing list

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Paulimer]
      #6296474 - 01/06/14 05:20 PM

with respect to imaging (i know you said you are not imagers, but this is probably useful to anyone controlling a telescope with SS), the ability to draw a "dead zone" around the meridian line would be really useful. with a GEM there are places near the meridian that you can't slew until they have gotten far enough away from the meridian, typically close to the zenith.

heck if SS refused to issue the goto command for a target within the "dead zone" that would be even better. as it stands now i have to eyeball it and in fact two nights ago i got perilously close to crashing the camera into the mount.

thanks for all the FOV options in SS4 - my only pony request here is that SS4 could ask what side of the pier the scope is on and automatically mirror the guidescope FOV. when using an OAG without a rotator the guidescope FOV is first on one side of the main imager and then after a meridian flip it's on the other… absent that a way to just quickly mirror a guidescope FOV would be great.

rob

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: pfile]
      #6299226 - 01/08/14 01:19 AM

Quote:

with respect to imaging (i know you said you are not imagers, but this is probably useful to anyone controlling a telescope with SS), the ability to draw a "dead zone" around the meridian line would be really useful. with a GEM there are places near the meridian that you can't slew until they have gotten far enough away from the meridian, typically close to the zenith

Dobson's Hole for the alt-az guys too!

poodle
sage

Reged: 01/21/05

Loc: Breckenridge, Texas
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6300548 - 01/08/14 06:08 PM

I read on this forum the other night that someone used Sky Safari to show what time the red spot would be visible on Jupiter. Can someone tell me how to find this info? I have searched for it and cannot find it.
Thanks

pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: poodle]
      #6300607 - 01/08/14 06:37 PM

Quote:

I read on this forum the other night that someone used Sky Safari to show what time the red spot would be visible on Jupiter. Can someone tell me how to find this info? I have searched for it and cannot find it.
Thanks

Do a Search on Jupiter. GRS ephemeris is located in the Upcoming Events section.

poodle
sage

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: pjglad]
      #6300628 - 01/08/14 06:53 PM

OK found Jupiter but where is upcoming events located?

poodle
sage

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: poodle]
      #6300633 - 01/08/14 06:56 PM

Never mind, I figured it out.
Thank you anyway.

thebigeast44

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #6303295 - 01/10/14 12:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After reviewing the list of new features in SS4, I'm disappointed to see that it includes things like animated meteor showers instead of the following which I and others have been requesting since 2011: A quick data screen to show sun set, astronomical twilight and moon rise/set times, or even better, a month of this info on one scrollable screen or in calendar format. This would have been especially helpful for astrophotography planning. Oh well, still a great app in any event.
Mike

Well, believe it or not, lots of folks have asked about meteor showers as well. Probably more than have requested what you want.

Look, we can't do everything. There are other astronomy apps out there that will do what you are asking. Nothing says you can't use more than one app.

I'm with Mike on this one.

I could care less about animated meteor showers, hopefully they can be turned off. A quick data screen in calendar format would be great and very useful.

For those with Android devices, I love Mobile Observatory. It does a good deal of what you're looking for. Clear skies!

http://zima.co/

Edited by thebigeast44 (01/10/14 12:05 AM)

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: thebigeast44]
      #6310155 - 01/13/14 12:10 PM

Hi Guys,

I have Sky Safari 3.8 on my iPhone 5S and like it, but I want more screen size and the option on running my servo cat with it.

What do I need? iPad full, mini, air? Mini sounds a bit small for my 57 year old eyes. Kindle has a new HDX but is that a different OS ? Could I transfer my current SS from my phone to an iPad?

Thanks for suggestions and recommendations.

Dean

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: DeanS]
      #6310190 - 01/13/14 12:30 PM

I would make the leap to an iPad running Sky Safari 4-- I think it's still on sale. I had SS Plus on my iPhone, and I've played with it on a Mini, but my old eyes (I'm 72) prefer the larger screen.

Dark skies.

Jack

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: mountain monk]
      #6310242 - 01/13/14 01:02 PM

Is the iPad air the new version or is there still a regular iPad?

Thanks

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Sky Safari 4 new [Re: DeanS]
      #6310853 - 01/13/14 06:47 PM

Quote:

Is the iPad air the new version or is there still a regular iPad?

You can choose iPad Air or iPad 2
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
But for the $100 difference, and considering the numerous iPad Air upgrades, there's really not much of a choice.

(I'm still on the fence for a new iPad--but the Air is pretty amazing...)

FWIW, I'd also consider upping the storage to 32G (or more) depending on how many images you want to store (and show on the Retina Display). I'm not sure that cellular is that important...

And SkySafari for iOS is a universal app--works on your iPhone and your iPad. (SkySafari for MacOS is a separate app for laptop/desktop Macs.)

Edited by Vic Menard (01/13/14 06:57 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics