Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)
*****

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquatone]
      #6075848 - 09/11/13 08:50 PM

Received book today.
Will peruse with high-lighter in hand.
Will try not to be too critical. This was obviously a labor of love.
What an unusual book for a publisher to print. It shows how interested in the subject matter the world market is.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mariner@sg
sage
*****

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Starman1]
      #6075942 - 09/11/13 09:51 PM

Spotted what I think are some typos and errors. Would it be raining on Bill's parade if raised here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eps0mu0
member


Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #6076260 - 09/12/13 01:42 AM

With everyone receiving their copy, I hope to see a review (or two) in the 'Stellar Media' sub-forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: eps0mu0]
      #6076427 - 09/12/13 07:13 AM

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces. Bill could have culled a load of dueling opinions from threads right here on Cloudy Nights - with permission and credits, of course. A short list immediately comes to mind: Brandons, TMB Planetaries, 100 degree eyepieces, various simple glass eyepieces vs complex.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ibase
Vendor Affiliate
*****

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6076441 - 09/12/13 07:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Am surprised at the downward slide of the book's pricing at Amazon during the past few days, starting off at $42, the book is now being sold in Amazon for $29.48! (free shipping) What gives?




That's a more encouraging price. Still, the price I paid is less than a simple Plossl and it contains way more than Plossls. It is a kind of Playboy Special Edition, with all the centerfolds collected together. Lots of bunnies!






Yes, that came to mind too, for the price of a plossl..

Best,


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6076573 - 09/12/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces. Bill could have culled a load of dueling opinions from threads right here on Cloudy Nights - with permission and credits, of course. A short list immediately comes to mind: Brandons, TMB Planetaries, 100 degree eyepieces, various simple glass eyepieces vs complex.

Mike




Well Mike, let me pose a (of course not seriously meant) question: are you of German origin? Because we Germans tend to always look first for things which - actually or just perceived only - are not that good as we expected. Here in Europe we are known as crabbers or moaners (may be rightly so).

To explain this. I've got the book last Friday and have taken the time to have a close look into it. My first impression: Kudos to Bill

The book is well organized and well written in a precise and clear wording. What makes it particularly interesting and valuable is the fact that the tremendous knowledge and practical experience of Bill is conveyed through this book (specifically chapters 2, 3, and 4). I can't imagine anybody not taking advantage from reading this book.

Just three examples: the explanatory remarks about "less glass" (when or when not this can be of importance), about barlows (how to use them successfully), or about zooms.

Describing almost every now available or still used eyepiece makes it a complete reference.

I have no doubt that this book will find its way into the "Astronomer's Hall of Fame"!

Andreas


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #6076713 - 09/12/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

Well Mike, let me pose a (of course not seriously meant) question: are you of German origin? Because we Germans tend to always look first for things which - actually or just perceived only - are not that good as we expected. Here in Europe we are known as crabbers or moaners (may be rightly so).




Yes, I'm German on my Mother's side, from Bavaria. Life is a series of disappointments and problems punctuated by short periods of relative acceptance ... in which we anticipate the next disappointment or problem! But I try to fight this tendency by telling myself that perfection is not possible, at least not if I want to be a rational and frugal consumer. This idea might originate from my Dutch ancestry. I even have some French heritage: I do like to make sure I use the jargon logically and with the correct pronunciation. The English part of me just wants everything to work well enough to get the job done.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #6076724 - 09/12/13 10:42 AM

Andreas,

Quote:

To explain this. I've got the book last Friday and have taken the time to have a close look into it. My first impression: Kudos to Bill

The book is well organized and well written in a precise and clear wording. What makes it particularly interesting and valuable is the fact that the tremendous knowledge and practical experience of Bill is conveyed through this book (specifically chapters 2, 3, and 4). I can't imagine anybody not taking advantage from reading this book.

Just three examples: the explanatory remarks about "less glass" (when or when not this can be of importance), about barlows (how to use them successfully), or about zooms.

Describing almost every now available or still used eyepiece makes it a complete reference.

I have no doubt that this book will find its way into the "Astronomer's Hall of Fame"!




Agreed on all counts! Bill's book is a veritable encyclopedia of astronomical eyepieces. I will read this with as much enjoyment as a kid reading a comic book, but with the difference that I will actually be learning some things.

If only he had just done it a little differently ...


Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BGeoghegan
super member


Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Eastern CT
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6076739 - 09/12/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Am surprised at the downward slide of the book's pricing at Amazon during the past few days, starting off at $42, the book is now being sold in Amazon for $29.48! (free shipping) What gives?




That's a more encouraging price. Still, the price I paid is less than a simple Plossl and it contains way more than Plossls. It is a kind of Playboy Special Edition, with all the centerfolds collected together. Lots of bunnies!




My $42.31 copy just arrived. I wonder if Amazon will refund anything in light of the $29.48 price I'm seeing now?

Initial impressions are good - hefty and better illustrated than some other Springer titles. Got to back to working for the Man.

Bob G

Edited by BGeoghegan (09/12/13 11:09 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6076837 - 09/12/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces.






If you ask 10 astronomers about a specific eyepiece design and focal length the problem is you get 13 opinions.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquatone]
      #6076896 - 09/12/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

... and the author has little control over how the book is bound, but...




Try "no" control. I guess authors like Stephen King and the likes have control, but short of that none pretty much.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #6076898 - 09/12/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

Spotted what I think are some typos and errors. Would it be raining on Bill's parade if raised here?




Just send me a PM.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6076907 - 09/12/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces.






If you ask 10 astronomers about a specific eyepiece design and focal length the problem is you get 13 opinions.




This suggestion, IMO, would be excellent additions under Chapter 5. So if people want to write new essays to that, will be more than happy to add them for whenever a new printing/updated version happens.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kkokkolisModerator
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: BillP]
      #6076992 - 09/12/13 01:18 PM

A link to CN Eyepieces section would suffice. Enough debate to read for years.
To be serious, that would be wrong and confusing for beginners that hopefully will buy the book, seeking help. I'm sure that the author's opinion covers the 95% of an eyepiece's performance, the rest is standard deviation and irrelevant for even more experienced observers. Most people don't care to debate much about coffee tones, green lettering consumer nationalism, exotic designs that cost an arm and two legs, shy Hyperion user's syndrome and "B" supernatural powers, they just want to know if an eyepiece is good, worth the money and some basic numbers, like eye relief and AFOV. The rest that live in a higher standard deviation can join us here, and argue as long and fanatically as they wish.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquatone]
      #6076998 - 09/12/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

I know this is a niche market and the author has little control over how the book is bound, but poor binding really spoils the experience for me. Probably have to go iPad/Kindle next time.

Chris




I have a similar bent, the binding feels too tight to open it comfortably. The binding seems to threaten to crack. Although it's probably my fear of breaking it more than anything. I elected to buy the e-book as well. For the last couple of years I've been buying e-books exclusively, so the decision wasn't hard to make. For those that are interested, Bill's book makes a great e-book too!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don Taylor
professor emeritus


Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6077412 - 09/12/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

A link to CN Eyepieces section would suffice. Enough debate to read for years.
To be serious, that would be wrong and confusing for beginners that hopefully will buy the book, seeking help. I'm sure that the author's opinion covers the 95% of an eyepiece's performance, the rest is standard deviation and irrelevant for even more experienced observers. Most people don't care to debate much about coffee tones, green lettering consumer nationalism, exotic designs that cost an arm and two legs, shy Hyperion user's syndrome and "B" supernatural powers, they just want to know if an eyepiece is good, worth the money and some basic numbers, like eye relief and AFOV. The rest that live in a higher standard deviation can join us here, and argue as long and fanatically as they wish.





Very well said and I agree completely!!!!!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid
*****

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #6077487 - 09/12/13 05:37 PM

I got an e-mail from Amazon that my copy will ship in March 2014. Is the reason that my order was way down on the list and too many were ahead of me?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6077510 - 09/12/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

A link to CN Eyepieces section would suffice. Enough debate to read for years.
To be serious, that would be wrong and confusing for beginners that hopefully will buy the book, seeking help. I'm sure that the author's opinion covers the 95% of an eyepiece's performance, the rest is standard deviation and irrelevant for even more experienced observers. Most people don't care to debate much about coffee tones, green lettering consumer nationalism, exotic designs that cost an arm and two legs, shy Hyperion user's syndrome and "B" supernatural powers, they just want to know if an eyepiece is good, worth the money and some basic numbers, like eye relief and AFOV. The rest that live in a higher standard deviation can join us here, and argue as long and fanatically as they wish.




I disagree. Who says that Bill's book is mostly for beginners? IMO, a book of this size and completeness speaks even more to amateurs at the intermediate and advanced levels. On the other hand, I bet that many beginners would be drawn to arcane topics such as "coffee" colored tones and exotic designs.

Arcane is often interesting. My family and I recently visited a Ripley's Believe or Not Museum. The place was doing a very brisk business.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid
*****

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6077929 - 09/12/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I got an e-mail from Amazon that my copy will ship in March 2014. Is the reason that my order was way down on the list and too many were ahead of me?




Amazon must have a glitz in its ordering system. I just reordered and it went through with a shipping date. The March order was still on the books, and so I cancelled it.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Anthony
sage
*****

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6078328 - 09/13/13 08:08 AM

I just started reading mine yesterday, it covers everything I hoped it would and then some. All I can say is you will definitely want this book, at over 400 pages it will be keeping me occupied for a while.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)


Extra information
16 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 5792

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics