Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out!
      #6064250 - 09/05/13 11:33 AM

Available from a variety of sources, Springer, Amazon and I assume will be available elsewhere.

Jim
PS: Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #6064262 - 09/05/13 11:42 AM

So what's the name of the book??

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: REC]
      #6064278 - 09/05/13 11:49 AM

REC

Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series).

Brian

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: BJS]
      #6064303 - 09/05/13 12:05 PM

Order placed... Thanks Bill... and thanks to Jim for the heads up.

Edited by desertlens (09/05/13 12:12 PM)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: desertlens]
      #6064317 - 09/05/13 12:13 PM

Nice book, I hope to pick it up someday.

Interesting choice of eyepieces on the front cover... Astro-Physics SPL, Pentax XO 5mm, GSO 2.5x barlow and Smart Astronomy Plossl 6mm. No TeleVue eyepieces? Not even one Pentax XW there? I guess he had to do that to remain impartial. We all know he loves them (XWs) too.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Starman81]
      #6064385 - 09/05/13 12:48 PM

Bill's EP book will be a fine addition to the book collection, congrats!

P.S. Here's a link to sample pages from Amazon of Bill's new EP book, click here.

Best,

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Starman81]
      #6064423 - 09/05/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Nice book, I hope to pick it up someday.

Interesting choice of eyepieces on the front cover... Astro-Physics SPL, Pentax XO 5mm, GSO 2.5x barlow and Smart Astronomy Plossl 6mm. No TeleVue eyepieces? Not even one Pentax XW there? I guess he had to do that to remain impartial. We all know he loves them (XWs) too.

I agree...interesting choice. The photo I submitted for the front cover, which of course had TV and the other major prominent brands was rejected and a photo from the inside of the book was chosen instead. The Publisher has final control over most things. But brand issues aside, I still like the overall look of the front cover.

REC
Post Laureate

Loc: NC
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: BillP]
      #6064447 - 09/05/13 01:25 PM

Wow, just looked at a sample page and he must have over 200 EP's that he has commented on. I loved his last shootout on the 24mm range!

Congratulations Bill!

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: REC]
      #6064626 - 09/05/13 03:05 PM

Wow, looks fantastic, Bill!

A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted. (I may have noticed an error on Page 18 -- the WO UWAN AFOV listed as 20 degrees -- but I can't see that page anymore so I can't be sure. Might want to double check that, Bill.)

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Hothersale]
      #6064652 - 09/05/13 03:18 PM

Just ordered my copy, looks like great reading, I know I'll learn something.

Manish
Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA
      #6064676 - 09/05/13 03:27 PM

>>A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted.

Here's how it works on Amazon. When you first open up the preview, all pages are available to you. You can hence pretty much jump to any section of the book to explore. But after you've been there for a few minutes, Amazon starts locking up pages (for you only). Spend a few more additional minutes and over 75% of any book will become restricted. After all, they don't want to allow everyone to read all pages online and not purchase the book.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Manish]
      #6064708 - 09/05/13 03:43 PM

Quote:

>>A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted.

Here's how it works on Amazon. When you first open up the preview, all pages are available to you. You can hence pretty much jump to any section of the book to explore. But after you've been there for a few minutes, Amazon starts locking up pages (for you only). Spend a few more additional minutes and over 75% of any book will become restricted. After all, they don't want to allow everyone to read all pages online and not purchase the book.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

I learn something new every day! Thanks, Manish.

Rick M.

Reged: 03/16/13

#6065234 - 09/05/13 09:26 PM

Strangely, the Canadian arm of Amazon (amazon.ca) only has the Kindle version available now and it is necessary to wait until next April for the paperback version.

Rick

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6065281 - 09/05/13 09:54 PM

I'm most anxious to get a copy!

astronomylife
sage

Reged: 08/07/13

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, Califo...
      #6065296 - 09/05/13 10:06 PM

Quote:

A few minutes ago, EVERY page in the book was available to preview on Amazon.ca, but now most of the pages have been restricted. (I may have noticed an error on Page 18 -- the WO UWAN AFOV listed as 20 degrees -- but I can't see that page anymore so I can't be sure. Might want to double check that, Bill.)

Just checked my copy and the UWAN is listed as 20 degrees.

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: astronomylife]
      #6065310 - 09/05/13 10:15 PM

just ordered a copy!!!!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #6065554 - 09/06/13 03:36 AM

Congrats and good luck Bill!

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6065560 - 09/06/13 03:46 AM

Ordered. I might wait for almost for a month before I get it. on the other hand, it will reach me just about the time the sky gets cloudy again and that's not bad.

vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6065721 - 09/06/13 08:21 AM

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order, Phil Harrington Star Ware is just one example of such effort, books simply can not compete with Internet, unless the author is planning on continuous updates to keep up with the newer offerings.

Vahe

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: vahe]
      #6065752 - 09/06/13 08:51 AM

I think the premise of Bill's book is as an eyepiece "primer" not a buyer's guide that will go out of date, illustrating that this oft-overlooked part of the optical chain really has as much merit as the optics in the scope themselves...a philosophy to which I subscribe. I think by "Choosing" the title implies the type more than the brand and "Using" certainly draws emphasis toward how those types perform at various purposes.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
      #6065764 - 09/06/13 08:59 AM

Quote:

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order,...

Vahe

True, but this book is really not a clone of "Star Ware."
Bill comprehensively covers all subjects related (and maybe some unrelated) to eyepieces. Many things about eyepieces will never change: the laws of optics for example.

David E
Post Laureate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: David E]
      #6065777 - 09/06/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order,...

Vahe

True, but this book is really not a clone of "Star Ware."
Bill comprehensively covers all subjects related (and maybe some unrelated) to eyepieces. Many things about eyepieces will never change: the laws of optics for example.

One more thing: although there are professional astronomers out there, astronomy has been and always will be about us amateurs. There is no other field of science I can think of where amateurs contribute so much. That fact is summed up on the back cover. (You can read that on Amazon.com.) In fact, many people from this very forum have contributed to Bill's effort in one way or another, directly or indirectly.

edit: removed what probably would be a TOS violation.

Edited by David E (09/06/13 09:34 AM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #6065797 - 09/06/13 09:53 AM

Quote:

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order, Phil Harrington Star Ware is just one example of such effort, books simply can not compete with Internet, unless the author is planning on continuous updates to keep up with the newer offerings.

Vahe

Dickinson and Dyer's "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" proves that it is possible to approach writing about astronomical equipment in a manner that is durably useful and valuable, despite the progressive accumulation of new equipment offerings since publication of its last edition. The current state of telescopic eyepieces is especially suitable for being presented in a durably useful way. This is in part because the current state of the art is hitting up against some fundamental limits, for example in how far AFOV can be extended without creating unmanageable bulk or edge aberrations (to say nothing of enormous ramp-up in expense). Improvements in coating technology from this point on will be more incremental than fundamental. Creating complex widefield eyepeices with light transmission, sharpness, and minimization of aberrations approaching extremely close to that of "simpler" limited AFOV glass is an established achievement at this point (Not close enough for Brandon or ortho purists, but more than close enough, negligibly close for the tastes of a great many others). There really hasn't been any truly revolutionary eyepiece developments since TeleVue's Ethos, followed up by the almost-as-good but much-less-expensive (and plenty good enough for many people's tastes) Explore Scientific eyepieces. In short, unless there is a massive unforeseen switch-over to electronic eyepieces/video astronomy in the next five to ten years, the information in Bill Paolini's book will likely remain a useful reference, even if new modest variants of existing eyepiece designs come out, just as Dickenson/Dyer's "Backyard Astronomer's Guide" remains a useful well of information, even though there's nominally a lot of new stuff since the last edition.

I do agree that the majority of astronomical equipment books are written with an approach that does too-quickly date the usefulness of information contained therein, and that it takes skill and quite a bit of thoughtfulness to write a book whose information is durably valuable even against the constant evolution of fresh internet sources. I'm simply pointing out by example that it IS possible to to write such a book about astro equipment; we'll just have to see over time the extent to which Bill Paolini has succeeded in doing so with his new book.

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: t.r.]
      #6065854 - 09/06/13 10:34 AM

Quote:

I think the premise of Bill's book is as an eyepiece "primer" not a buyer's guide that will go out of date, illustrating that this oft-overlooked part of the optical chain really has as much merit as the optics in the scope themselves...a philosophy to which I subscribe. I think by "Choosing" the title implies the type more than the brand and "Using" certainly draws emphasis toward how those types perform at various purposes.

The title is more or less a restricted (or strongly suggested) item by the publisher as it needs to fit within the constraints of their series. I personally feel that there are things which will never change or go out of date as they have to do with history or formulas on how things work and how they are perceived when viewing (like how AFOV and TFOV affects the view), and then the desk reference section which lists over 200 popular current and discontinued lines with their data tables, marketing claims, and association with other similar performing lines so the user can look at one line and have instant reference to what other of the 200+ listed perform in the same class (the buyers guide aspect of the book). So this buyers guide will go out of date, but given how fast the market seems to be slugging along these days, not significantly. I would say that maybe at the 3 or 4 year point it will be time to update the work documenting the new lines that have come available. My hope is that the book will get enough traction so that the publisher will want to do second printings and such to keep it updated with the market.

BillP
Postmaster

#6065856 - 09/06/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, no review is perfect so sure there will be a few glitches here and there. As people find them, please do send me a personal message so I can get them all documented for corrections.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #6066055 - 09/06/13 12:32 PM

Just another reason to buy the next edition!

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #6066205 - 09/06/13 01:55 PM

Thinking about all the car recalls and firmware updates and operating system patches...one would not own anything?

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: FirstSight]
      #6066499 - 09/06/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

The current state of telescopic eyepieces is especially suitable for being presented in a durably useful way. This is in part because the current state of the art is hitting up against some fundamental limits, for example in how far AFOV can be extended without creating unmanageable bulk or edge aberrations (to say nothing of enormous ramp-up in expense). Improvements in coating technology from this point on will be more incremental than fundamental.

The idea that the primary measure of an eyepiece is AFOV is a fast Dob/Newt owner affectation. A large number of scopes sold today (namely refractors and SCT's) are not very fast at all really, and perform quite well with the older designs. As the saying goes, an old Ferrari is still a Ferrari. There are a lot of great older eyepieces that will continue to turn up on the used market for generations. A reference source for those eyepieces would be very valuable indeed.

Quote:

Creating complex widefield eyepeices with light transmission, sharpness, and minimization of aberrations approaching extremely close to that of "simpler" limited AFOV glass is an established achievement at this point (Not close enough for Brandon or ortho purists, but more than close enough, negligibly close for the tastes of a great many others). There really hasn't been any truly revolutionary eyepiece developments since TeleVue's Ethos, followed up by the almost-as-good but much-less-expensive (and plenty good enough for many people's tastes) Explore Scientific eyepieces.

I would have to agree with you that for the DSO enthusiast whose forays into planetary or double star observing are occasional and brief, the Delos indeed gives you 90% of what premium simple glass does - close enough as you say. I consider myself one of those "purists" and could make due with Delos in a pinch.

Matters of degree are of course subjective, but I would go further and say that Delos is probably a big a step forward from Ethos as Ethos was over Nagler, and observing reports continue to pop up on the forum finding the same. For optical eyepieces, perhaps the only place left to go are designs customized to a specific telescope optical system.

Quote:

In short, unless there is a massive unforeseen switch-over to electronic eyepieces/video astronomy in the next five to ten years ...

Well, the track record of betting against the electronics revolution over the past 30 years hasn't been very good, has it?

With the advantages of magnitude reach, color, direct vision, and insensitivity to light pollution, how much does resolution and integration times of electronic sensors have to improve to kick-off that revolution? In fact, no need to limit the display screen to the size of an eyepiece barrel, just have a wire leading to a screen. The Mallicam crowd may already be leading the way.

Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6066566 - 09/06/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would have to agree with you that for the DSO enthusiast whose forays into planetary or double star observing are occasional and brief, the Delos indeed gives you 90% of what premium simple glass does - close enough as you say. I consider myself one of those "purists" and could make due with Delos in a pinch.

Matters of degree are of course subjective, but I would go further and say that Delos is probably a big a step forward from Ethos as Ethos was over Nagler,

So for planetary, delos>ethos>Nagler ? With delos being 90% as good as premium minimal glass ep. Does that mean ZAO, Pentax XO, etc only or do you think a TV plossl is better than delos for planetary contrast/details ?

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

#6066621 - 09/06/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

With the advantages of magnitude reach, color, direct vision, and insensitivity to light pollution, how much does resolution and integration times of electronic sensors have to improve to kick-off that revolution?

A little innovation in pricing might be helpful. With the Collins I3 at $3K and the Mallincam at $1.5K (without the display) it would seem that this market will stay small for now. This stuff is expensive at both ends (supply and demand).

David E
Post Laureate

#6067553 - 09/07/13 10:39 AM

Just got an email from Amazon, mine's been shipped!

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
      #6067612 - 09/07/13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Mine too!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Schaden]
      #6067672 - 09/07/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

So for planetary, delos>ethos>Nagler ? With delos being 90% as good as premium minimal glass ep. Does that mean ZAO, Pentax XO, etc only or do you think a TV plossl is better than delos for planetary contrast/details ?

I sold off my last TeleVue plossl about 15 years ago (for Celestron Ultimas), while they were adequate they never struck me as special. I have not done the plossl/Delos comparison.

The minimal glass I was referring to were Brandons in this post. (Jump down to #5179553.)

Since then I have been acquiring Astro-Physics SPL's and TMB Monocentrics, but I have not had adequate opportunity for comparison. Perhaps the Brandons will go the way of the Tele Vue plossls?

It will be interesting to see what Bill's book has to say about them.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6067693 - 09/07/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

A little innovation in pricing might be helpful. With the Collins I3 at $3K and the Mallincam at $1.5K (without the display) it would seem that this market will stay small for now. This stuff is expensive at both ends (supply and demand).

I think many or most of us have a similar or larger investment in conventional eyepieces. (I'm reluctant to total up the value in my two cases - ignorance is bliss.)

Presumably, if/when the electronic eyepiece comes it would replace most of a conventional set. Changing image scale (if desired) would be done with a couple of focal reducers.

mgb
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Montreal, Qc... Canada
      #6067734 - 09/07/13 12:33 PM

Say what Amazon Canada ?

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on August 12, 2013.

Paolini, William "Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces"
Estimated ship date: March 03, 2014

I guess it must be the stupid canadian copyright laws or some dumb market protectionism thing at work again... Who knows ? but nonetheless it doesn't make sense.

By the way the Kindle version on amazon.ca is available for download... ya right.

And another strange thing, the canadian papeback price on Amazon.ca (if it was available) is listed at $ 37.92. And on Amazon.com (USA) is listed at $ 42.74. Another nonsense !

Go Canada ! Go !!!

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #6068184 - 09/07/13 05:12 PM

USPS delivered the book.

Congrats, Bill.

Tammy

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: george tatsis]
      #6068190 - 09/07/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine too!

<checks email, sees one from Amazon sent last night> Woo-hoo, mine shipped too!

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Lew Zealand]
      #6068844 - 09/08/13 02:38 AM

Will be getting my hard-copy when a buddy returns from the US with the hand-carried book.

The book is also available electronically via internet (a little cheaper), i.e. through Kindle - allows one to download a longer version of sample pages, including EP historical beginnings, basic function, physical construction, optical construction, optical design characteristics, AFOV, eye relief, exit pupil behavior, internal reflctions and "Ghosting," aberrations (including distortions), choosing eyepieces and observing strategies, viewing comfort & usability considerations, construction and mechanical features. These items will hardly get outdated.

Just by going through these samplings which are all so well-written & crafted with pertinent illustrations, will wager that Bill's book will become the definitive EP book, something like the Nexstar book by Mike Swanson, or the SCT books by Uncle Rod Mollise; Bill Paolini's seminal EP book will probably turn out to be the eyepiece bible book.

PS: If one has an Amazon account, it's easy to register with Kindle (download of the Kindle app is free) using the smartphone (mine's an Android), where they send a sample pages copy of the book upon request.

Best,

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: ibase]
      #6069017 - 09/08/13 08:21 AM

I arranged that I get an ES82 14 and made an agreement for a future purchase of an ES82 30 from a astro buddy. This way my eyepiece case will be full up to the limit (with the 30mm pending) before I get the book. I filled my smaller case with all cables, power adaptors and controls for my Nexstar, so there's no room there also. I also got the "Just for Today" and 12 steps books by my pillow to get inspiration.
You are not going to force me to buy more eyepieces easily Bill Paolini!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #6069494 - 09/08/13 01:16 PM

My copy has shipped and is due to arrive Sept. 11th.

Mike

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6070997 - 09/09/13 10:41 AM

I'm standing at the door - my copy is due today!

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      #6071015 - 09/09/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

I hate to be the skeptic, but any astronomy book that deals with currently produced products will be outdated in short order...

Others have offered useful responses to this, but I have a different one:

Since EPs last forever and are often resold on the used market all of the EPs there will long be a need for a reference on the currently available EPs. I frequently puzzle about discontinued EPs that appear on CN classifieds, sometimes I can find old reviews, sometimes not.

This is different from software, which really does get out of date as OSes and hardware change.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6071155 - 09/09/13 11:55 AM

Hernando,

I wrote an article on using our favorite eyepiece - the Baader Hyperion Zoom - for Bill's book. AFAIK, it was included.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6071791 - 09/09/13 05:53 PM

Mike,

Wow, a Sarkikos Baader Hyperion Zoom article and featured in Bill's EP book? That's great! Is there a link to your Baader Zoom article? Thanks.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
      #6072017 - 09/09/13 08:12 PM

Got mine today. I only skimmed it, but wow, what an effort to be comprehensive. Just seeing all the photos of the eyepieces in one place is a treat.

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
      #6072253 - 09/09/13 10:33 PM

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#6072264 - 09/09/13 10:39 PM

Congrats Bill and thank you for the kind remarks regarding those who contributed.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40 North
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #6072293 - 09/09/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Congrats Bill and thank you for the kind remarks regarding those who contributed.

Thanks!
Jaimo!

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Jaimo!]
      #6072439 - 09/10/13 12:36 AM

Am I really going to have to wait until March to order it from somewhere in Canada?

Eric

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #6072489 - 09/10/13 01:30 AM

My pre-ordered copy arrived last night! UPS took less than 5 days while my puchases from CNC via USPS took on average 2 weeks....

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #6072578 - 09/10/13 03:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, that was so kind. I can brag now to my local astro-friends

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6072603 - 09/10/13 05:00 AM

- ditto -

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6072688 - 09/10/13 06:51 AM

Quote:

Mike,

Wow, a Sarkikos Baader Hyperion Zoom article and featured in Bill's EP book? That's great! Is there a link to your Baader Zoom article? Thanks.

Bill let me know that my Baader Zoom article was inadvertently left out. But it will be included in the next printing and my other article is in the book now.

Mike

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #6072708 - 09/10/13 07:22 AM

Great reference book for eyepiece aficionados!
Reading my copy on Kindle.

regards
Chris

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #6072805 - 09/10/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

Hernando,

I wrote an article on using our favorite eyepiece - the Baader Hyperion Zoom - for Bill's book. AFAIK, it was included.

Mike

I heard Bill is a cheap son of gun, I hope you got paid union rate for your submission.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6072955 - 09/10/13 10:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Bill let me know that my Baader Zoom article was inadvertently left out. But it will be included in the next printing and my other article is in the book now.

Mike

Mike, here's what I'm planning to do - want my copy autographed so will order/pay via Amazon and tell them to send it to Bill (with his permission). After signing the book he then sends book to you, you autograph your Baader Zoom article page, then mail it to my buddy in LA, CA USA, he will take care of sending it to me. I'll pay you & Bill by Paypal for expenses/forwarding the book. What do you think? Thanks, I know it's a big favor from both of you.

Best,

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6072997 - 09/10/13 11:08 AM

Got my copy last night, from Amazon.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6073046 - 09/10/13 11:31 AM

Hernando,

Quote:

Mike, here's what I'm planning to do - want my copy autographed so will order/pay via Amazon and tell them to send it to Bill (with his permission). After signing the book he then sends book to you, you autograph your Baader Zoom article page, then mail it to my buddy in LA, CA USA, he will take care of sending it to me. I'll pay you & Bill by Paypal for expenses/forwarding the book. What do you think? Thanks, I know it's a big favor from both of you.

My contribution was only a small article. Maybe I should just initial it.

Remember that the Baader Zoom article never made this printing. But I could sign my other article. Though I'm sure that one isn't up to the standards of my Baader Zoom article.

If you're serious, whatever you want to do is fine with me.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: SteveC]
      #6073053 - 09/10/13 11:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hernando,

Mike

I heard Bill is a cheap son of gun, I hope you got paid union rate for your submission.

Yep, so cheap I had to pay him! Just kidding. Though I'm starting to wonder, because Bill told me that article was left out of this printing... But he did allow my other article to get into the book.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6073075 - 09/10/13 11:47 AM

Jeff,

Quote:

I sold off my last TeleVue plossl about 15 years ago (for Celestron Ultimas), while they were adequate they never struck me as special. I have not done the plossl/Delos comparison.

I keep a mixed set of smoothie and new TV Plossl bino pairs around, specifically for viewing Jupiter and lunar maria. There is something about the tone and contrasty look of these objects through these eyepieces that I like. I doubt if I'll ever let them go. But if I had to choose between the TV Plossls and my XO's or Delos ... out go the TV Plossls, and it's not just about the price!

The Brandons are staying, too.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #6073165 - 09/10/13 12:44 PM

Mine arrives today!

Edited by MRNUTTY (09/10/13 12:45 PM)

BillP
Postmaster

#6073350 - 09/10/13 02:40 PM

No prob for me. Just let me know when to expect so I know it is from whoever and next steps.

David E
Post Laureate

#6073424 - 09/10/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Mike

Best,

But wait, I have contributed some pictures in that book too. Better route it to me as well, so I can autograph it. Maybe we need to do this in alphabetical order?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6073658 - 09/10/13 05:59 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#6073757 - 09/10/13 07:12 PM

WOW! Bill this book is huge!! My God, soooooo many eyepieces! Awesome job man!

David E
Post Laureate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #6073808 - 09/10/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

WOW! Bill this book is huge!! My God, soooooo many eyepieces! Awesome job man!

Okay Amazon.com, where's mine???

BillP
Postmaster

#6073821 - 09/10/13 07:53 PM

Thanks...and thanks everyone. And yes...I certainly am not immune...so much eye candy in there from everyone here and around that I am often just flipping thru it to look at the pics

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#6073844 - 09/10/13 08:12 PM

Bill, you should be proud you motivated so many folks to contribute to your book. Which itself is a testament to everyone's dedication to our hobby.

Figure 4.1.. Wow!

SteveC
Post Laureate

#6073975 - 09/10/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks...and thanks everyone. And yes...I certainly am not immune...so much eye candy in there from everyone here and around that I am often just flipping thru it to look at the pics

Oh, it's a picture book, I can handle that - coffee table stuff.

Edited by SteveC (09/10/13 09:34 PM)

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6073990 - 09/10/13 09:38 PM

I placed my order this afternoon, estimated delivery date Friday the 13th.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6074052 - 09/10/13 10:27 PM

Mine's due tomorrow ... September the 11th.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6074089 - 09/10/13 10:49 PM

Am surprised at the downward slide of the book's pricing at Amazon during the past few days, starting off at $42, the book is now being sold in Amazon for $29.48! (free shipping) What gives?

PS: Mike & Bill, thanks for the positive response about the autograph plan.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6074266 - 09/11/13 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Mike

Best,

But wait, I have contributed some pictures in that book too. Better route it to me as well, so I can autograph it. Maybe we need to do this in alphabetical order?

Also contributed, pic of the Siebert standards

Siebert Standards 10mm & 15mm

Best,

esd726
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rochester, IN
      #6074417 - 09/11/13 05:30 AM

Should get mine Friday.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: esd726]
      #6074511 - 09/11/13 07:33 AM

The e-book version is very good too! I can leave the paper book in the observatory and the e-book comes with me everywhere :-)

I bought an other book in the Patrick Moore series too, "Lessons from the Masters: Current Concepts in Astronomical Image Processing". Any other recommendations out there while my shopping frenzy is high?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6074552 - 09/11/13 08:21 AM

Suiter's Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes.

Not in the Patrick Moore series, but nontheless a book every amateur astronomer should possess.

Mike

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6074575 - 09/11/13 08:42 AM

Quote:

Suiter's Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes.

Not in the Patrick Moore series, but nontheless a book every amateur astronomer should possess.

Mike

Must-have books could be a new thread.

I'll add Roger Clark's Visual Astronomy of the Deep Sky.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#6074974 - 09/11/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Must-have books could be a new thread.

I'll add Roger Clark's Visual Astronomy of the Deep Sky.

Good idea Jeff!

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6075497 - 09/11/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Am surprised at the downward slide of the book's pricing at Amazon during the past few days, starting off at $42, the book is now being sold in Amazon for $29.48! (free shipping) What gives?

That's a more encouraging price. Still, the price I paid is less than a simple Plossl and it contains way more than Plossls. It is a kind of Playboy Special Edition, with all the centerfolds collected together. Lots of bunnies!

Aquatone
sage

Reged: 03/23/06

Loc: California Bay Area
      #6075807 - 09/11/13 08:33 PM

Just received my copy. The content looks most excellent and the book is much thicker than I expected.

My only iritation is the cheap glue binding which is truly awful. The book is really hard to keep flat and the pages keep snapping shut like they are spring loaded. If I bend the spine I fear the pages will start to fall out.

I know this is a niche market and the author has little control over how the book is bound, but poor binding really spoils the experience for me. Probably have to go iPad/Kindle next time.

Chris

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquatone]
      #6075848 - 09/11/13 08:50 PM

Received book today.
Will peruse with high-lighter in hand.
Will try not to be too critical. This was obviously a labor of love.
What an unusual book for a publisher to print. It shows how interested in the subject matter the world market is.

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Starman1]
      #6075942 - 09/11/13 09:51 PM

Spotted what I think are some typos and errors. Would it be raining on Bill's parade if raised here?

eps0mu0

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #6076260 - 09/12/13 01:42 AM

With everyone receiving their copy, I hope to see a review (or two) in the 'Stellar Media' sub-forum.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: eps0mu0]
      #6076427 - 09/12/13 07:13 AM

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces. Bill could have culled a load of dueling opinions from threads right here on Cloudy Nights - with permission and credits, of course. A short list immediately comes to mind: Brandons, TMB Planetaries, 100 degree eyepieces, various simple glass eyepieces vs complex.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6076441 - 09/12/13 07:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's a more encouraging price. Still, the price I paid is less than a simple Plossl and it contains way more than Plossls. It is a kind of Playboy Special Edition, with all the centerfolds collected together. Lots of bunnies!

Yes, that came to mind too, for the price of a plossl..

Best,

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
      #6076573 - 09/12/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces. Bill could have culled a load of dueling opinions from threads right here on Cloudy Nights - with permission and credits, of course. A short list immediately comes to mind: Brandons, TMB Planetaries, 100 degree eyepieces, various simple glass eyepieces vs complex.

Mike

Well Mike, let me pose a (of course not seriously meant) question: are you of German origin? Because we Germans tend to always look first for things which - actually or just perceived only - are not that good as we expected. Here in Europe we are known as crabbers or moaners (may be rightly so).

To explain this. I've got the book last Friday and have taken the time to have a close look into it. My first impression: Kudos to Bill

The book is well organized and well written in a precise and clear wording. What makes it particularly interesting and valuable is the fact that the tremendous knowledge and practical experience of Bill is conveyed through this book (specifically chapters 2, 3, and 4). I can't imagine anybody not taking advantage from reading this book.

Just three examples: the explanatory remarks about "less glass" (when or when not this can be of importance), about barlows (how to use them successfully), or about zooms.

Describing almost every now available or still used eyepiece makes it a complete reference.

I have no doubt that this book will find its way into the "Astronomer's Hall of Fame"!

Andreas

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #6076713 - 09/12/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

Well Mike, let me pose a (of course not seriously meant) question: are you of German origin? Because we Germans tend to always look first for things which - actually or just perceived only - are not that good as we expected. Here in Europe we are known as crabbers or moaners (may be rightly so).

Yes, I'm German on my Mother's side, from Bavaria. Life is a series of disappointments and problems punctuated by short periods of relative acceptance ... in which we anticipate the next disappointment or problem! But I try to fight this tendency by telling myself that perfection is not possible, at least not if I want to be a rational and frugal consumer. This idea might originate from my Dutch ancestry. I even have some French heritage: I do like to make sure I use the jargon logically and with the correct pronunciation. The English part of me just wants everything to work well enough to get the job done.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #6076724 - 09/12/13 10:42 AM

Andreas,

Quote:

To explain this. I've got the book last Friday and have taken the time to have a close look into it. My first impression: Kudos to Bill

The book is well organized and well written in a precise and clear wording. What makes it particularly interesting and valuable is the fact that the tremendous knowledge and practical experience of Bill is conveyed through this book (specifically chapters 2, 3, and 4). I can't imagine anybody not taking advantage from reading this book.

Just three examples: the explanatory remarks about "less glass" (when or when not this can be of importance), about barlows (how to use them successfully), or about zooms.

Describing almost every now available or still used eyepiece makes it a complete reference.

I have no doubt that this book will find its way into the "Astronomer's Hall of Fame"!

Agreed on all counts! Bill's book is a veritable encyclopedia of astronomical eyepieces. I will read this with as much enjoyment as a kid reading a comic book, but with the difference that I will actually be learning some things.

If only he had just done it a little differently ...

Mike

BGeoghegan

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Eastern CT
      #6076739 - 09/12/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My $42.31 copy just arrived. I wonder if Amazon will refund anything in light of the $29.48 price I'm seeing now?

Initial impressions are good - hefty and better illustrated than some other Springer titles. Got to back to working for the Man.

Bob G

Edited by BGeoghegan (09/12/13 11:09 AM)

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6076837 - 09/12/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces.

If you ask 10 astronomers about a specific eyepiece design and focal length the problem is you get 13 opinions.

BillP
Postmaster

#6076896 - 09/12/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

... and the author has little control over how the book is bound, but...

Try "no" control. I guess authors like Stephen King and the likes have control, but short of that none pretty much.

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #6076898 - 09/12/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

Spotted what I think are some typos and errors. Would it be raining on Bill's parade if raised here?

Just send me a PM.

BillP
Postmaster

#6076907 - 09/12/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think an interesting idea for the book would have been to include alternative opinions on specific eyepieces.

If you ask 10 astronomers about a specific eyepiece design and focal length the problem is you get 13 opinions.

This suggestion, IMO, would be excellent additions under Chapter 5. So if people want to write new essays to that, will be more than happy to add them for whenever a new printing/updated version happens.

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6076992 - 09/12/13 01:18 PM

A link to CN Eyepieces section would suffice. Enough debate to read for years.
To be serious, that would be wrong and confusing for beginners that hopefully will buy the book, seeking help. I'm sure that the author's opinion covers the 95% of an eyepiece's performance, the rest is standard deviation and irrelevant for even more experienced observers. Most people don't care to debate much about coffee tones, green lettering consumer nationalism, exotic designs that cost an arm and two legs, shy Hyperion user's syndrome and "B" supernatural powers, they just want to know if an eyepiece is good, worth the money and some basic numbers, like eye relief and AFOV. The rest that live in a higher standard deviation can join us here, and argue as long and fanatically as they wish.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#6076998 - 09/12/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

I know this is a niche market and the author has little control over how the book is bound, but poor binding really spoils the experience for me. Probably have to go iPad/Kindle next time.

Chris

I have a similar bent, the binding feels too tight to open it comfortably. The binding seems to threaten to crack. Although it's probably my fear of breaking it more than anything. I elected to buy the e-book as well. For the last couple of years I've been buying e-books exclusively, so the decision wasn't hard to make. For those that are interested, Bill's book makes a great e-book too!

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #6077412 - 09/12/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

To be serious, that would be wrong and confusing for beginners that hopefully will buy the book, seeking help. I'm sure that the author's opinion covers the 95% of an eyepiece's performance, the rest is standard deviation and irrelevant for even more experienced observers. Most people don't care to debate much about coffee tones, green lettering consumer nationalism, exotic designs that cost an arm and two legs, shy Hyperion user's syndrome and "B" supernatural powers, they just want to know if an eyepiece is good, worth the money and some basic numbers, like eye relief and AFOV. The rest that live in a higher standard deviation can join us here, and argue as long and fanatically as they wish.

Very well said and I agree completely!!!!!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6077487 - 09/12/13 05:37 PM

I got an e-mail from Amazon that my copy will ship in March 2014. Is the reason that my order was way down on the list and too many were ahead of me?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6077510 - 09/12/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

I disagree. Who says that Bill's book is mostly for beginners? IMO, a book of this size and completeness speaks even more to amateurs at the intermediate and advanced levels. On the other hand, I bet that many beginners would be drawn to arcane topics such as "coffee" colored tones and exotic designs.

Arcane is often interesting. My family and I recently visited a Ripley's Believe or Not Museum. The place was doing a very brisk business.

Mike

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6077929 - 09/12/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I got an e-mail from Amazon that my copy will ship in March 2014. Is the reason that my order was way down on the list and too many were ahead of me?

Amazon must have a glitz in its ordering system. I just reordered and it went through with a shipping date. The March order was still on the books, and so I cancelled it.

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6078328 - 09/13/13 08:08 AM

I just started reading mine yesterday, it covers everything I hoped it would and then some. All I can say is you will definitely want this book, at over 400 pages it will be keeping me occupied for a while.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: John Anthony]
      #6078378 - 09/13/13 09:12 AM

Last night I got a chance to spend more time with Bill's new book. It does appear that Bill has incorporated various commonly-held amateur opinions - some somewhat contradictory, which IMO is a good thing - in synopses of many of the eyepieces. So now I don't think that cited snippets of opinions from CN or elsewhere is really needed in the book.

Bill, just keep doing what you're doing, and more of it.

Mike

urassner
sage

Reged: 07/08/12

#6078472 - 09/13/13 10:21 AM

Thank you for this wonderful book, Mr. Paolini. What an amazing resource you have created.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: urassner]
      #6078486 - 09/13/13 10:29 AM

I just orered bill's book from Amazon based on being able to view a lot of the content in the Amazon preview " Look inside this book" feature, not only is the content impressive but thanks to Bill for allowing such a great preview, with many books, the preview is only one or two pages.
Rex

esd726
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rochester, IN
      #6078674 - 09/13/13 12:42 PM

UPS just dropped it off today. Just flipped through it real quick so far and looks very nice I always like the "feel" of this series of books too. Going to take it with me when I go to pick up my youngest from school. Will hopefully make the 45 mins-hr waiting not seem so long. I

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: esd726]
      #6078877 - 09/13/13 02:51 PM

I just pop an order at AZM
looking forward to reading it

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: highfnum]
      #6079046 - 09/13/13 04:33 PM

Mine just arrived. My, my, Bill has been busy. Thanks to Mr. Paolini for dedicating himself to compiling such a thorough resource... wish book.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#6080726 - 09/14/13 04:38 PM

Thanks for the link. I just ordered it.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
      #6082234 - 09/15/13 03:00 PM

Interesting, I'll have to order a copy. Paul Rini is in there! Paul was a big help when I started making eyepieces seriously way back when. Starry Messenger days. Can't wait to read what it says about his offerings. I noticed that most of my eyepieces aren't listed at all...they are far older than 20 years. Some are easily 50 years old.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6083369 - 09/16/13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Amazon book price is see-sawing like the stock market - after dipping to a low of $28, the book is now priced back to $40-level at $41.88.

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6083456 - 09/16/13 09:07 AM

Mine ended up being about $36 after a discount.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6085030 - 09/16/13 11:28 PM

Quote:

Mine ended up being about $36 after a discount.

Mike,

I've bought lots of items from Amazon, how does one get a discount there? Thanks.

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6085351 - 09/17/13 06:50 AM

Luck and timing. Seriously ... yep, luck and timing.

I ordered Bill's book many months ago, when it was still backordered. Sometimes Amazon will give the customer a discount when the book actually starts shipping.

But recently it has been sold - or so I hear - on Amazon at prices lower than what I paid after my "discount." In perspective, though, whatever anyone pays for the book is a lot less than many astronomy accessories, so I'm not sweating it.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6085369 - 09/17/13 07:16 AM

Thanks, was thinking there might be a coupon code like in telescopes.com. Yes, such a magnificent book/resource is worth its weight in gold (okay, maybe that's too much. )

Best,

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6085767 - 09/17/13 11:24 AM

Quote:

Mine just arrived. My, my, Bill has been busy. Thanks to Mr. Paolini for dedicating himself to compiling such a thorough resource... wish book.

Indeed, an excellent reference. Last night I was able to start reading my copy. A few minor errors here and there, but an incredible work nonetheless.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6086436 - 09/17/13 05:27 PM

Mine is here and I am reading it. Clear and concise with nice illustrations.

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6087475 - 09/18/13 08:35 AM

Sorta contrary to my habit of enjoying papyrus in hand, I got the Kindle version. This makes for a quick page or three read anywhere. What a reference, great book Bill.

Jim

BGeoghegan

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Eastern CT
      #6087587 - 09/18/13 09:34 AM

Sometime in October we'll likely learn whether Bill's book comes under Amazon's Kindle Matchbook program. Owners of _some_ physical books purchased through Amazon will be able to download the Kindle version at little or no cost. Terms and titles will vary depending on each publisher.
Bob G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001373341

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/amazon-couples-print-digital-books-w...

Edited by BGeoghegan (09/18/13 09:38 AM)

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: BGeoghegan]
      #6089829 - 09/19/13 12:10 PM

mine came in - real thick!
I like the fact that eyepieces are listed with weight.
also for given eyepiece associated similar eyepieces

early history could have been more elaborate - missing tollis, coddington and those super powerful eyepieces
made by Herschel

I wonder how much it would cost to have 1 example of each eyepiece list in this book!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6089844 - 09/19/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

I wonder how much it would cost to have 1 example of each eyepiece list in this book!

Enough to open your own Museum of Eyepieces. A good location would be next door to any Ripley's Believe or Not Museum. Or maybe inside the Ripley's.

Mike

BillP
Postmaster

#6089875 - 09/19/13 12:39 PM

I wanted to have a representative pic for each eyepiece line (i.e., not necessaarily a pic of every focal length), but I could not track down or get permissions for the lines documented that have no pics. If people do and want to give release permissions to use in a future update, please PM me

DNTash
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/02/07

Loc: GMT+2
      #6090990 - 09/20/13 01:38 AM

Just downloaded to my iPad. Looks good -- and I'm looking forward to digging in this evening. A cloudy night predicted for here. Congrats Bill!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: faackanders2]
      #6094249 - 09/21/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I just ordered it.

RECIEVED IT A FEW DAYS AGO, AND IT IS A REALLY GREAT BOOK ABOUT EYEPIECES.

Full Sun

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: Ontario
      #6098323 - 09/24/13 11:50 AM

A note to Canadians: my Amazon.ca pre-ordered soft copy was shipped and arrived two days later. Originally it showed up with a March 2014 shipping date and I was taking a chance that this would be amended. So we are good to go...
This book is quite an achievement and deserves a place in your astronomical reference library.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Full Sun]
      #6098702 - 09/24/13 03:14 PM

Good to know. I will move it from my wishlist to my cart and see what happens.

Eric

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6098712 - 09/24/13 03:20 PM

I will probably be the last to handle it, October 22 they said. Perhaps they assigned it to a post office herring or tuna fish or something. Agena sent me an eyepiece in 5 days.

TomCorbett
sage

Reged: 07/08/13

#6099142 - 09/24/13 07:04 PM

Received my copy today. I am pleased with the text.

What I would like to see in the 2nd edition.

Some sort of evaluation table for the eyepieces, say something like Bill's Picks would be nice for the various observing criteria (resolution, contrast, transmission, color, AFOV, FL, eye relief, weight, cost etc.), objects, and scopes.

Along the same lines, perhaps take some of the more popular scopes and give a range of eyepiece recommendations in a table.

How about a purchase schedule? What eyepiece to buy (replace) first, second, third, etc.

Also, I know these are not observing eyepieces as such, but some information and examples of reticle eyepieces would be helpful to some of us.

However, all in all, I am pleased by the first thumb-through. Appears to be well worth the cost and time to read. Bill, thank you for giving us this valuable reference.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: TomCorbett]
      #6099225 - 09/24/13 07:54 PM

This looks like it will be an excellent reading. I want one!

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6099318 - 09/24/13 08:54 PM

I believe there are multiple sites on-line that provide some answers for your questions. One could never publish a "Recommendation Guide", because there are just too many eyepieces and the brands and models fluctuate a lot.

Quote:

Some sort of evaluation table for the eyepieces, say something like Bill's Picks would be nice for the various observing criteria (resolution, contrast, transmission, color, AFOV, FL, eye relief, weight, cost etc.), objects, and scopes.

The Buyer's Guide to eyepieces at the top of the Eyepieces Forum has columns for magnification and true field for any scope whose details are entered in.
Quote:

Along the same lines, perhaps take some the more popular scopes and give a range of eyepiece recommendations in a table.

There are multiple calculators on the web that do just that.
Quote:

How about a purchase schedule? What eyepiece to buy (replace) first, second, third, etc.

I know Bill has used many eyepieces, but he hasn't used them all.
Quote:

Also, I know these are not observing eyepieces as such, but some information and examples of reticle eyepieces would be helpful to some of us.

This list is dated. You'll have to research what's still available (this was 2009):
Brand Focal length Size Type Illuminated? Details?
Antares 12.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated, cordless
Antares 14.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated, cordless
Antares 18.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated, cordless
Antares 10.0 1.25 Plossl Y illuminated, cordless
Antares 27.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated, cordless
Celestron 10.0 1.25 Plossl Y illuminated
Celestron 12.5 1.25 Orthoscopic Y illuminated
Lumicon 25.0 1.25 Kellner N x-hair
Lumicon 12.5 1.25 Orthoscopic Y illuminated
Lumicon 10.0 1.25 Plossl Y illuminated
Meade 9.0 1.25 Plossl Y illuminated
Meade 9.0 1.25 Plossl Y cord
Meade 12.0 1.25 Mod.Achr.(K) Y illuminated
Meade 12.0 1.25 Mod.Achr.(K) Y cord
Meade 12.0 1.25 Mod.Achr.(K) Y astrometric
Meade 25.0 1.25 Plossl Y CCD framing
Meridian 27.0 1.25 Kellner N
Meridian 12.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated
Orion 5.0 1.25 Ultrascopic Y illuminated
Orion 12.5 1.25 Plossl Y illuminated
Orion 20.0 1.25 ? Y 70deg.FMC
Questar 16.0 1.25 ? Y Questar only
StellarVue 23.0 1.25 widefield N widefield
StellarVue 23.0 1.25 widefield Y illuminated
Takahashi 5.0 1.25 ? Y illuminated
University Optics 12.0 1.25 Kellner Y illuminated
Russell Optics 25.0 1.25 Kellner N x-hair

You might find these articles useful and perhaps informative:
Parameters and Aberrations
The 3 "C"s
1X/2X/3X protocol
Contrast in Eyepieces

BillP
Postmaster

#6099345 - 09/24/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

Received my copy today. I am pleased with the text.

What I would like to see in the 2nd edition.

Along the same lines, perhaps take some the more popular scopes and give a range of eyepiece recommendations in a table.

However, all in all, I am pleased by the first thumb-through. Appears to be well worth the cost and time to read. Bill, thank you for giving us this valuable reference.

Hi Tom. Interesting suggestions. Will definitely keep them in mind for a 2nd edition update. FYI, you can sort of zero in on a range of eyepiece characteristics to look for with your scopes by applying the advice given in Chapter 2, in the section called Observing Strategies on Pg 56. And one of Don's strategies is on Pg 58!

TomCorbett
sage

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Starman1]
      #6099632 - 09/25/13 12:36 AM

Don...

WOW! Thanks for all of the recommendations. These are very helpful.

TomCorbett
sage

#6099636 - 09/25/13 12:42 AM

Bill...

Thank you for directing me to the observing strategies section in your book (p. 56ff.), all very good suggestions.

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

#6103585 - 09/27/13 07:30 AM

Bill's book lmspired me to built a couple of bk7 ball eyepices
They were easy to make and work as described
Thx Bill

BillP
Postmaster

#6103650 - 09/27/13 08:40 AM

You are welcome...but I'm just the messenger SteveC deserves all the kudos for his excellent write up in the book on how to do it

TMK
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/08

Loc: A Cloudy Place
      #6103727 - 09/27/13 09:28 AM

Congrats on the book, Bill. I've found your advice on eyepieces here on Cloudy Nights to be exceptional. I appreciate the time you take out.

Edited by TMK (09/27/13 09:29 AM)

SteveC
Post Laureate

#6103910 - 09/27/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

You are welcome...but I'm just the messenger SteveC deserves all the kudos for his excellent write up in the book on how to do it

Awww shucks, t'was nothin.

rogerandgarf
sage

Reged: 06/01/05

Loc: Arlington, Wa
      #6104800 - 09/27/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Just received my copy. The content looks most excellent and the book is much thicker than I expected.

My only iritation is the cheap glue binding which is truly awful. The book is really hard to keep flat and the pages keep snapping shut like they are spring loaded. If I bend the spine I fear the pages will start to fall out.

Chris

To help preserve your new book for years to come, you may wish to google 'how to break in a new book' so that the spine of the book is not permanently damaged or broken and to insure that the pages will lie flat.

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: rogerandgarf]
      #6105090 - 09/27/13 11:09 PM

I've already laminated mine to make sure it's gonna last a bit longer

George

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: george tatsis]
      #6105451 - 09/28/13 08:17 AM

Excellent book! I read a little bit each day as my guilty pleasure.

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6105796 - 09/28/13 11:56 AM

Looks like a excellent book, and a must have, will it become available hardcover

SteveC
Post Laureate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Dave M]
      #6106596 - 09/28/13 09:12 PM

I wasn't sure I'd be home to receive the book this month, so I waited until today to order. Looking forward to reading the book, and I happen to pick it up at a good price from Walmart online, though I may have to wait until next Friday to receive the book.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6106712 - 09/28/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

I happen to pick it up at a good price from Walmart online

Indeed very good price ($26.99) for the book at Walmart vs. $41.04 in Amazon at the moment.

Best,

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6106743 - 09/28/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Indeed very good price ($26.99) for the book at Walmart vs. $41.04 in Amazon at the moment.

Best,

Let's just hope that you are not cheating Bill P. out of another ZAO-II eyepiece.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6106760 - 09/28/13 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Best,

Let's just hope that you are not cheating Bill P. out of another ZAO-II eyepiece.

Huh? Who's cheating who and what has the ZAO-II eyepiece got to do with it?

Best,

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #6107307 - 09/29/13 11:44 AM

Humour just doesn't work well on these forums!

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #6107416 - 09/29/13 12:43 PM

Quote:

I wasn't sure I'd be home to receive the book this month, so I waited until today to order. Looking forward to reading the book, and I happen to pick it up at a good price from Walmart online, though I may have to wait until next Friday to receive the book.

I just looked it up online at Walmart, and get a "Out of stock online"..

SteveC
Post Laureate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: Dave M]
      #6107627 - 09/29/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just looked it up online at Walmart, and get a "Out of stock online"..

Yesterday must have been my lucky day, I should have purchased Powerball tickets instead.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6108516 - 09/30/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks, now I get it!

After culling some info from the net, I've realized that new authors (BillP in this instance) get very little from gross sales of their books and that the publishers are the ones who obtain the lion's share from revenues generated. That being the case, I wouldn't mind paying full retail price ($44.99) for the book, just so that Bill might be able to buy a premium eyepiece like the ZAO II mentioned earlier in jest, from any meager royalties that could come his way.

Best,

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6108656 - 09/30/13 03:45 AM

I just got my copy, a lot earlier than expected (thanks to Deutsche Post).
William Paolini, I owe you a BIG thank you for providing me with a good read about one of my most loved themes, telescope eyepieces. Indeed, this is like a Playboy for eyepiece junkies. I'm going to advertise it in our Greek forum with much enthousiasm.
Thanks again Bill!

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6108695 - 09/30/13 05:33 AM

Should we open a thread for peer reviews or just mail the author?
WO UWAN is 80 degrees and not 20 (page 18)

SteveC
Post Laureate

#6108938 - 09/30/13 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, now I get it!

After culling some info from the net, I've realized that new authors (BillP in this instance) get very little from gross sales of their books and that the publishers are the ones who obtain the lion's share from revenues generated. That being the case, I wouldn't mind paying full retail price ($44.99) for the book, just so that Bill might be able to buy a premium eyepiece like the ZAO II mentioned earlier in jest, from any meager royalties that could come his way.

Best,

I'm sure Bill wrote the book for honor and glory, not so much for monetary gain.

BillP
Postmaster

#6109017 - 09/30/13 10:29 AM

Quote:

That one I recall correcting, so editors must have missed the errata on it. Will be fixed for next addition, until then folks can be on the lookout for the rare 20 degree UWAN...will command a high price on the used market

SteveC
Post Laureate

#6109065 - 09/30/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That one I recall correcting, so editors must have missed the errata on it. Will be fixed for next addition, until then folks can be on the lookout for the rare 20 degree UWAN...will command a high price on the used market

500 years from now, when Chosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces is historically and monitarily as valuable as the Gutenburg Bible,the 20 degree UWAN on page 18 will be the benchmark for confirming the rare 1st edition. I'm using surgical gloves when handling my copy. Little SteveC in 2514 will be able to take this book to the bank.

Edited by SteveC (09/30/13 11:16 AM)

BillP
Postmaster

#6109071 - 09/30/13 11:17 AM

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#6112901 - 10/02/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

I learn something new every day! Thanks, Manish.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to figure out which pages you want to look at. Being able to see just the table of contents and the index does not show alot. You can flip through more pages in a store.

P.S. I did get the book, and I enjoyed it greatly; especially the 100-120AFOV sections.

Ken

WRose
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Colorado, USA
      #6112962 - 10/02/13 11:30 AM

Excellent book Bill! Terrific reading for anyone interested in EPs and I don't think it'll go 'out of date' all that quickly. As the prior posts indicate, the basics are the basics. As noted in t.r. comments and FirstSight's post about 'The Backyard Astronomer's Guide' (and others), it takes a lot of thought and work to write a quality book that's useful, durable, and has lasting value. While new EPs will come out, the book will stay valid for years/decades. From what I've read so far, I think BillP hit the mark on providing a great balance of information, articles that inform and guide, and opinions mixed with a terrific amount of reference material.
I was able to download an e-book version and hope to receive a hard copy shortly. High recommend this book to anyone with an interest in amateur astronomy even of you're not an EP fanatic.

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Bill Paolini's book on EP's is out! new [Re: WRose]
      #6113057 - 10/02/13 12:34 PM

Thanks Bill ...welcome back and hope life has gotten less busy so you can join in on some discussions. When you have time would love to hear any new eyepiece adventures you've encountered

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

#6131767 - 10/11/13 06:57 PM

Just finished reading it. The general part I mean. A great reference work. I would like more text in the second part, referencing all eyepieces, at least for the most popular ones. But it is good as it is. Bravo!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5782

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics