Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Equatorial platform question?
      #6064780 - 09/05/13 04:27 PM

Ever since I got my first dob about 12 years ago the thought of using an equatorial platform has intrigued me. Besides the fact that there are single and dual axis drives and various materials for manufacture, there seem to be two distinct ways of mounting the scope.
What are the pros and cons of having a platform that becomes the ground board as opposed to one where you just sit your whole scope on the platform?

Eric

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
Re: Equatorial platform question? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #6064961 - 09/05/13 06:10 PM

I use the type where the EQ platform is a separate piece of equipment that my dob stands on. The advantage being that you just don't get it out if you don't require a driven scope. The disadvantage is that the integrated approach would add less height to the scope I guess. I find I need a small step to get to the eyepiece of my 12" F/5.3 dob when it's on the platform and pointed towards the zenith area.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
33 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 118

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics