Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Celestron AVX question new
      #6065868 - 09/06/13 10:42 AM

I ordered a Celestron AVX mount that is supposed to be here first of the week. This is my first goto EQ mount and I was curious if it can be set up or has a mode that allows you to use it as a simple RA driven mount? I don't need goto to find the moon or Jupiter from my back yard and it would be nice for quick looks if the mount can be pointed north, turned on, pointed at a planet manually and have the mount just drive in RA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Celestron AVX question new [Re: Nippon]
      #6065894 - 09/06/13 10:51 AM

sure just start it up and do a fake alignment, or if you want to get simple do a solar system alignment (one object only)

what would work better though is if you do a good 2+4 alignment and then the next time you setup just pick last alignment, then you have an alignment model at least and can use the goto to slew to the right area and then search for the object with the HC if its not already there, manually slewing EQ mounts is kinda tricky until you get the hang of it.

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron AVX question new [Re: frito]
      #6065912 - 09/06/13 10:58 AM

You can do a solar system align. I think Celestron have the manual pdf download on their site, so you can see what menu options you have for alignment.

My advice is, if you bought the AVX, you're not gonna do it any justice by not aligning it properly.

You can do a solar system alignment, and align off Jupiter and it will follow it. But to get the maximum out of it, you will need to do a proper full alignment.

The ASPA All Star Polar Alignment is a weird and wonderful thing if you are not used it, took me a few goes to understand how it works. It's like voodoo, but it just works..

Edited by MartinTreadgold (09/06/13 10:59 AM)

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Celestron AVX question new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6065960 - 09/06/13 11:28 AM

I just downloaded the manual and it looks like "quick align" will do what I'm thinking also. I'm no stranger to EQ mounts just ones with goto. My goto experience is limited to a NexStar 8 SE. I'm looking forward to this mount. Starhoping was a lot easier 20 years ago and this will let me use my 4" refractor with goto as well as my 8" SE.And whoever said why limit the mount is probably right since I always end up trying to find some faint thing that I can't hardly even see with an 8 by 50 finder from my light polluted skies.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron AVX question [Re: Nippon]
      #6065967 - 09/06/13 11:31 AM

Yes, Quick Align or Solar System align is the quick way to get going.

Starhoping - I like it

Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 207

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics