Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1
Bruce N

Reged: 04/01/13

Need suggestions for getting new club members new
      #6019925 - 08/11/13 11:10 PM

I am helping to set up a new local (Monterey, CA area) amateur astronomy club. I'd like suggestions for how to recruit new members. How did other clubs start? What kind of outreach did you do that was successful in attracting new members?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Need suggestions for getting new club members new [Re: Bruce N]
      #6020027 - 08/12/13 12:22 AM

Our club is about to celebrate its 60th anniversary; I've been a member for over 15 years. It helps to be in an astronomy professional area with good observing conditions. In my case, I joined when I stopped by a booth the club had at a local street fair.

We do a lot of various public activities, mostly in support of education like school events, or community organizations' events like local parks and recreation star party nights, and support events by several Univ. of Arizona astronomy, optical sciences, Flandrau Planetarium, and Lunar and Planetary Laboratory special events.

I'd say maybe finding out if there are any local events like street fairs for vendors, community special events looking for organizations to participate, or advertising for interested folks in community newsletters or even local cable public service channels and have a stargazing event. A friend and I volunteer to teach some basic astronomy introductory classes for adult continuing education organizations, and that gets some interest. In fact, a couple of the best outreach practioners I know were lured in through this route a couple of years ago, bought small scopes, joined the club, and now do several school events each month.

Some of the efforts needed depend on the geographic area involved and the existing astronomy community, if there is one. Lots of directions to decide to pursue, depending on who might be out there and receptive to "organizing". Anything you can think of to get your "name" out there and grow it.

Doc Willie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Need suggestions for getting new club members new [Re: Skylook123]
      #6020439 - 08/12/13 09:59 AM

The Night Sky Network has some videos that may be helpful in your efforts. If you do not know about it, Night Sky Network has lots of other resources to help clubs get started.

Blakheaven

Reged: 09/04/13

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Re: Need suggestions for getting new club members [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6067826 - 09/07/13 01:33 PM

Facebook seems to be a huge tool for everything nowadays.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 906

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics