Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1
darren8se

Reged: 09/01/13

stick with the cat or go refract ??
      #6068953 - 09/08/13 06:17 AM

Hi since getting my 8se I've been getting more and more interested in splitting Doubles and im underway with the AL Double star list ...

I've recently been thinking about Refractor scopes as I read or misread that they are the most suitable scope for splitting doubles ..so my question would be do I swap out for a good 6" F5 refractor or stick with the 8se ?

once I've done the AL list I would like to get into astrometry with an astrometric eyepiece and have a go at some of the more challenging harder to split doubles ??
Darren

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: darren8se]
      #6068960 - 09/08/13 06:49 AM

Quote:

I've recently been thinking about Refractor scopes as I read or misread that they are the most suitable scope for splitting doubles ..so my question would be do I swap out for a good 6" F5 refractor or stick with the 8se ?

Well ... I don't think there is such a thing as a good 6" f/5 frac ... if you're talking high optical quality then for an apo you need f/8+ and you're takiling really serious amounts of money.

An ordinary 8" SCT will resolve at least as well as an ideal 6" refractor.

If I were you I'd look at upgrading the mount first ... the SE isn't the best by a long way & an 8" SCT tube is really too much for it ... for high power work (double stars) you really need stability & steadiness.

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6068973 - 09/08/13 07:23 AM

My take on it. It is true that a fast refractor is not best suited for double star observing but it is still a very versatile instrument, particularly if you are also into DSO observing and want a portable instrument without having to worry much about cooling down time and collimation.
I have had in the past a Teleskop-Service 6" f/5.9 refractor and used it for double star observing to some extent and I would thoroughly recommend it. I believe it is sold under another brand in North America (Ed Ting reviewed one a couple of years ago).
My AP triplet is much better than that fast achromat but the difference in price is certainly not in direct relation to what I could see given my average seeing conditions.
Just my opinion.
Roberto

darren8se

Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: R Botero]
      #6068986 - 09/08/13 07:54 AM

I had something like this in mind but if its not going to open up more doubles than I can already split with the 8SE then I may just stick with my scope ...
http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Bresser-Refractor-152-760-OTA.html

and yes an upgrade to my mount is on the cards too..
I am hoping later this year or early next year to upgrade to a HEQ6 GT mount

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #6068989 - 09/08/13 07:57 AM

Stick with what you have.

Rich (RLTYS)

darren8se

#6068991 - 09/08/13 07:59 AM

ok so maybe I should be asking what scope would you guys recommend to upgrade to once ive gotten all I can split with the 8" sct with the idea that I would like to split more difficult and closer doubles ?

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #6069086 - 09/08/13 09:10 AM

I would stick with what you got. no harm in it. If you are interested in making position angle measurements, try looking for an equatorial wedge.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #6069090 - 09/08/13 09:16 AM

I wouldn't bother with that refractor and definately not at f/5.
As Brian mentions F/8 is another story and it won't show more but it'll do what it does as good as it can possibly be.
Pete

Edited by azure1961p (09/08/13 09:18 AM)

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6069114 - 09/08/13 09:28 AM

Quote:

ok so maybe I should be asking what scope would you guys recommend to upgrade to once ive gotten all I can split with the 8" sct with the idea that I would like to split more difficult and closer doubles ?

There are literaly thousands of double stars that are within reach of my 4-inch TV102 refractor and I know that many more can be seen with an 8-inch SCT, so just be happy and have fun looking. By the time you have looked at a few thousand doubles, you will probably know what telescope you would like to view through next. Join a club and look through other telescopes at club observations, public observations, and star parties. After a couple of years you will know what you need or wont.

darren8se

Re: stick with the cat or go refract ?? new [Re: blb]
      #6069121 - 09/08/13 09:32 AM

ok cheers guys I think ill stick with the 8se for now and just concentrate on splitting doubles instead of worring what scope I should be using
THANKS EVERYONE

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 303

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics